Welcome To aBlackWeb

The official ATP/WTA thread

Of course, one’s mental health is just as important on the court. I am sure you have been following Emma Raducanu and what happened to her at Wimbledon. You played at a very high level when you were a teenager, but is it different nowadays for these young stars? Is there too much pressure?

Yes, I think so. I was following Emma Raducanu’s incredible run in Wimbledon and also Naomi Osaka these last few years – it's been amazing, both of their stories. But it hurts when you see what happens and when they don't feel well. The stress is so great. And I think a lot has to be down to social media: the first ten years of my life there was no social media, maybe I had just a website, then the next ten years social media was everywhere. Also, in regards to this, the press situation does need to be reconsidered. I think I’m one of the athletes who’s done the most press – ever! And I agree that it's always the same. Always.

I think players, the tournaments, journalists, we need to sit down together in a room and go, “OK, what would work for you and what works for us...” We need a revolution. Or at least an evolution of where we are today. I think we do need to help, coach and mentor the younger generation more. I can’t imagine going through the beginning of my career with social media; I have no clue how I would have handled it. For every ten nice comments there’s always one negative comment and, of course, that is the one you focus on. It’s a horrible situation. Even when I am feeling down I know I need to act a certain way in front of the world’s press. We need to remember that tennis players are athletes and professionals, but we are also human too.

Back