Welcome To aBlackWeb

Desegregation: Black Americans Were Bamboozled

The problem with integration was that only flowed one way. Schools desegregated and that had no net positive on blacks. Black teachers and administrators had to find work at white schools, usually in a demoted role, yet no white teachers were going to work at a black school. White kids weren't getting bused to black schools. Black schools getting shut down cuz surprise surprise...they not up to code. Then generations of black kids after that grew up never having a black teacher.

Integration also lost us the credibility to be able to talk about race, inequality and equity. Cuz it's countered with the same shit they tell poor white ppl about bootstraps and visibility.

I dont think this is completely true. White kids were bused to black schools...i know this because white kids were bused to my schools growing up.

It was actually a huge issue because white parents were pissed when they found out their kids were going to be the ones bused to a black school. So what did they do?

They either:
a) took their kids out the public schools and finessed tax laws to where they wouldnt have to pay much for a quality public school system

Or b) started their own school district with much more lax busing laws

So it was good in theory but terrible in reality.

I'd argue desegregation was intrinsic to the ideals of the civil rights movement. You can't promote love, equality and solidarity without some form of togetherness and interpersonal exchange.

It was racial law that shut black people out from engaging socially or economically with society at large in the first place.

It's for this reason that calling for desegregation in hindsight isn't even a realistic consideration. Segregation was a societal ill that necessarily had to be exposed for what it was for any kind of egalitarian movement to gain traction.

The generational effects of persistent racism helped create the poverty and urban decay that exists today which only serves to further entrench the segregation. It's a feedback loop.

I'm not arguing that segregation on its own is some kind of a horrible thing. That growth can't stem from it. Or that it's a guaranteed direct cause of instability under any condition or context.
It's that its establishment was grown from the seeds of corruption and immorality to begin with.

I didn't read thread, and don't plan on it. But if you think segregation was better for us, then you're a special kind of fool. Just log off, I have no patience for this pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

Back