Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black Excellence baby, we gon let em see...

Andre Iguodala says Warriors locker room talk about investing; he discusses money, wealth

476d67652add46501b513a1cdc75f6d2

What is most NBA locker room talk like? Exactly what you think most talk is about with 20-something men: there’s plenty of trash talk, with other topics being women, cars, Fortnite, clothes, and, occasionally, their jobs.

However, things can be a little different in the Golden State Warriors locker room, as Andre Iguodala told Wealthsimple in an exclusive interview.

“A number of my Warriors teammates — Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, JaVale McGee — are into investing and tech. But we never look at it as a competition. We inform each other of what’s going on. We have a lot of conversations. I learn something from all of those guys. Steph was having a conversation about net neutrality one day, and I wasn’t as caught up on it. He got started on it, and I was locked in, because he did his homework!

“That’s our locker room talk. We have free agents come to our team, and the first day the guy is walking in like, “What do you know about this business?”

We know the pro athlete stereotype: An alpha male making and spending a lot of money who will be broke three years after he is out of the league — and some players live up to that stereotype. However, there are a lot of players who are smart about their money. Players, especially ones who stick in the league longer than a handful of seasons, start to think long-term about how they can set up not just themselves but their children and grandchildren with the money they earn.

Iguodala is one of those guys. In this interview for the Website of the investing tool WealthSimple, Iguodala talks about the evolution of his thinking about money, wealth, and responsibility.

“I wasn’t thinking about all the money, the cars, jewelry (when he came into the league). I’d never seen that before, so I wasn’t looking for it. My first contract was for four years, $9 million. I think the fourth year was a team option, so if you don’t improve over the first three years, then they can cut you — so, really, three years, $7 million. You get an advance over the summer, and just before the draft, you get an advance for trading cards and an advance for a shoe contract. I remember a loan agency floating me until I got the advances. They sent me a check for $25,000. I think I just went to Niketown and bought a whole bunch of pairs of Jordans. I spent like two or three grand and it felt like I spent a million dollars. I didn’t know how to spend money. And it was so early that there wasn’t enough money to go buy a car, you know? I was happy where I was at….

“I had a few veterans who were really smart with their money (who were mentors). I mean, they had nice contracts, but in the scheme of the NBA, they were on the lower end. I asked a lot of questions, and they got me into good habits early. I think it’s always important for young athletes to position themselves with the veterans who are professionally and financially savvy.

“One of my favorite conversations was with Elton Brand, who had two or three max contracts. He talked about black wealth. He talked about Oprah’s situation, Will Smith — African Americans who created a lot of wealth. There aren’t too many of us. There are only 23 billionaires that are African Americans. It wasn’t like he was trying to teach me a lesson: Make sure you do this, make sure you do that. It was more like: You know how hard it is to have wealth. Period. And then how hard it is to be African American with wealth?

A lot of players see that as a responsibility — to take advantage of their financial opportunity (and to give back to the community).

The interview is worth reading and includes Iguodala’s business partner Rudy Cline-Thomas, who talks about their investing strategy and how they don’t go targeting basketball-related ventures or things where Iguodala is the pitchman. The goal is much bigger than that. They look for certain kinds of start-ups, knowing that there will be misses but also hits that really pay off. It’s a process.

And it’s something more and more players take seriously.

Texas teen gets into 20 colleges, receives full rides to all of them
2d4d371c67fe78e4f27bff66add3d0f4

Teen surprises mom and aunt with his college acceptance

Twins get accepted into 40 colleges between them, receiving $900K in scholarship offers

High school senior accepted to 26 universities, offered $3 million in scholarships

Brown is part of a program called EMERGE Fellowship. According to its website, the program “empowers and prepares high performing students from underserved communities to attend and graduate from selective colleges and universities across the nation.”

Rutledge-Brown said that although she knew her son had the grades to get scholarships, she never imagined anything like this.

“This has exceeded anything I ever thought. When I went to college I paid for it myself,” Rutledge-Brown said. “I really knew that when we went to the EMERGE orientation and saw the people that came back to speak, he would be able to go to school.”

Rutledge-Brown said Brown isn’t quite sure what school he wants to go to yet, but she has an idea of which one he will pick. She said regardless of where her son goes, he plans to study political science or economics and participate on a debate team.

His ultimate goal is to go to law school.

“He wants to come back to Houston and work in the community,” Rutledge-Brown said.

During team interview, NFL coach asked Jerome Baker how he'd react if he punched him in the face

5f09c9bdaae448847a5f24a9a1128b49

As the NFL draft nears, NFL team personnel tend to walk a razor thin line along the border of bold and improper with their questioning of prospects during individual interviews. That brazen attitude has often resulted in them getting out of pocket with their inquiries. It’s their opportunity to find out what makes guys tick and sometimes, how best to tick them off.

Reportedly, Baker told Melo, he was asked by one coach how he’d respond if he punched Baker in the face.

Those are quite literally fightin’ words and Baker should have been presented with options in a multiple-choice format.

a) “That question is a paradox. You’ll never touch me because of my cat-like reflexes.”

b) “Sue you for everything you own including the clothes off your back”

c) “Take it out on your quarterback when I’m blitzing off his blind side.”

d) “Introduce you to my good friends, Lefty and Righty.”

“To me, being from Cleveland, my natural reaction was, ‘Coach, no disrespect but if you punch me in the face, we’re gonna fight right here.’ That was just my natural response. I guess that’s what he wanted to hear, because he said, “Good.” It was definitely a fun interview. I didn’t get asked too many weird questions.”

Baker obviously chose D, but if the coach was delighted by his answer what was the wrong answer? This is one of the NFL’s more frivolous gotcha questions, but it makes one realize why some teams flail more than others if they’re harping on these peculiar and immaterial questions.

How teen created a profitable sneaker pawn shop

Like many 16-year-olds, Chase Reed spends his days tied to his iPhone and Instagram account.

But you won't catch his dad, Troy Reed, bugging him to get off social media anytime soon. That's because with each "like" the teenager acquires online, the father and son are seeing big dollars.

The father and son have opened a pawnshop exclusively devoted to sneakers. Sneaker Pawn USA is based in an apartment in New York's Harlem where the two used to live and have converted into sneaker start-up central. The duo advertise on social media platforms and share their inventory. Sneakers fans from around the world visit their Harlem shop, and shoes can be purchased online.

Chase works along side his father to buy, trade and sell Air Jordans and other brands in the store, which opened in June.

Troy says his son—still in high school—runs the show. "I actually work for him, and it's probably the best job I've ever had," said Troy, himself a serial entrepreneur. His past ventures included barber shop. He now works full-time at the sneaker pawn shop.

Turning a $30,000 inventory into a start-up

Source: Kate Rogers
Troy Reed and his son, Chase Reed, are Harlem-based entrepreneurs who buy, sell and trade Air Jordans and other brands at their Sneaker Pawn USA store.
The pair got the idea for the business when Chase was 14. Troy, who is divorced, admits he indulged his son and allowed him to amass a basketball sneaker collection worth about $30,000. Troy then persuaded his son to sell the shoes to generate the cash for a physical store.

"It was hard to let go of the collection because I was 14 years old with 200 pairs of sneakers, and all of the sudden you have to go back to zero," Chase said. "But it was just part of becoming a young man and an entrepreneur."

In 2013, they sold Chase's shoes right out of the trunk of Troy's car on 125th Street. But as word spread, they quickly realized they were onto a big trend. Mom-and-pop pawn shops are ubiquitous, but few if any are devoted to sneakers.

The duo now have hundreds of pairs of sneakers in the store.

Read MoreYoung entrepreneur 'gloves' his way to $8 million mark

The basketball sneaker market is booming. Market research firm Janney Capital Markets reports basketball footwear sales hit $4.2 billion in 2014 in the U.S., citing data from SportScan, a consumer insights firm. Janney forecasts sales will increase 12 percent to $4.7 billion in 2015.

Once considered a fringe urban shoe trend, collecting basketball shoes reached a broader audience when Nike released its Air Jordan I in 1984. The shoe was launched by Michael Jordan.

Focus on Sport | Getty Images
Chicago Bulls’ Michael Jordan sports his Nike Air Jordan sneakers during a game against the Washington Bullets in Landover, Maryland, in 1985.
Troy said the markup on previously owned sneakers can be anywhere from 100 percent to 800 percent given consumer demand. For example, Nike's LeBron James "Crown Jewel" sneaker originally retailed for $250. But they're selling the pair for more than $1,200 at Sneaker Pawn USA because of its limited edition status.

"This is the new stock market—these sneakers are commodities," Troy said.

Troy and Chase won't disclose how much cash they're bringing in per month, but say they hope to attract a private investor in the next year to help them keep up with demand and expand into locations across the country. In just six months of being open, they say they're profitable.

I'm a businessman now'

2015 the year to start a small business? 1:33 PM ET Wed, 21 Jan 2015 | 01:55

This year Chase is teaming up with a shoe manufacturing company, Relevant Customs in Mount Vernon, New York, and plans to release a high-end line of shoes. Styles will feature exotic leathers with price tags of $10,000 and higher.

As for Chase's own private sneaker collection, it stands at around 50 pairs today. He has learned the art of looking cool, letting go and making money—all before his 18th birthday.

"If I get a nice shoe in the store, I'll end up selling it rather than collecting it," Chase said. "I'm a businessman now."

How teen created a profitable sneaker pawn shop

Like many 16-year-olds, Chase Reed spends his days tied to his iPhone and Instagram account.

But you won't catch his dad, Troy Reed, bugging him to get off social media anytime soon. That's because with each "like" the teenager acquires online, the father and son are seeing big dollars.

The father and son have opened a pawnshop exclusively devoted to sneakers. Sneaker Pawn USA is based in an apartment in New York's Harlem where the two used to live and have converted into sneaker start-up central. The duo advertise on social media platforms and share their inventory. Sneakers fans from around the world visit their Harlem shop, and shoes can be purchased online.

Chase works along side his father to buy, trade and sell Air Jordans and other brands in the store, which opened in June.

Troy says his son—still in high school—runs the show. "I actually work for him, and it's probably the best job I've ever had," said Troy, himself a serial entrepreneur. His past ventures included barber shop. He now works full-time at the sneaker pawn shop.

Turning a $30,000 inventory into a start-up

Source: Kate Rogers
Troy Reed and his son, Chase Reed, are Harlem-based entrepreneurs who buy, sell and trade Air Jordans and other brands at their Sneaker Pawn USA store.
The pair got the idea for the business when Chase was 14. Troy, who is divorced, admits he indulged his son and allowed him to amass a basketball sneaker collection worth about $30,000. Troy then persuaded his son to sell the shoes to generate the cash for a physical store.

"It was hard to let go of the collection because I was 14 years old with 200 pairs of sneakers, and all of the sudden you have to go back to zero," Chase said. "But it was just part of becoming a young man and an entrepreneur."

In 2013, they sold Chase's shoes right out of the trunk of Troy's car on 125th Street. But as word spread, they quickly realized they were onto a big trend. Mom-and-pop pawn shops are ubiquitous, but few if any are devoted to sneakers.

The duo now have hundreds of pairs of sneakers in the store.

Read MoreYoung entrepreneur 'gloves' his way to $8 million mark

The basketball sneaker market is booming. Market research firm Janney Capital Markets reports basketball footwear sales hit $4.2 billion in 2014 in the U.S., citing data from SportScan, a consumer insights firm. Janney forecasts sales will increase 12 percent to $4.7 billion in 2015.

Once considered a fringe urban shoe trend, collecting basketball shoes reached a broader audience when Nike released its Air Jordan I in 1984. The shoe was launched by Michael Jordan.

Focus on Sport | Getty Images
Chicago Bulls’ Michael Jordan sports his Nike Air Jordan sneakers during a game against the Washington Bullets in Landover, Maryland, in 1985.
Troy said the markup on previously owned sneakers can be anywhere from 100 percent to 800 percent given consumer demand. For example, Nike's LeBron James "Crown Jewel" sneaker originally retailed for $250. But they're selling the pair for more than $1,200 at Sneaker Pawn USA because of its limited edition status.

"This is the new stock market—these sneakers are commodities," Troy said.

Troy and Chase won't disclose how much cash they're bringing in per month, but say they hope to attract a private investor in the next year to help them keep up with demand and expand into locations across the country. In just six months of being open, they say they're profitable.

I'm a businessman now'

2015 the year to start a small business? 1:33 PM ET Wed, 21 Jan 2015 | 01:55

This year Chase is teaming up with a shoe manufacturing company, Relevant Customs in Mount Vernon, New York, and plans to release a high-end line of shoes. Styles will feature exotic leathers with price tags of $10,000 and higher.

As for Chase's own private sneaker collection, it stands at around 50 pairs today. He has learned the art of looking cool, letting go and making money—all before his 18th birthday.

"If I get a nice shoe in the store, I'll end up selling it rather than collecting it," Chase said. "I'm a businessman now."

Why Fox not giving him an interview?

Passion To Profits: Interview with Lisa Chuma

This is a start of the Passion to Profits Interview Series with entrepreneurs who are on their way from passion to profits. Some are at their start of their journey and others are already quite far. The goal with the series is to inspire YOU to find your true passion and turn it into a profitable business so that you can live the life of your dreams. The first interview is with Lisa Chuma, the founder of Women’s Expo in Switzerland.

Lisa Chuma
2013-05-26-09-58-22-SG-200x300.jpg
Lisa is the founder and CEO of the Women’s Expo in Switzerland. She was born in Zimbabwe and moved 16 years old with her mother to the UK . She went to college and university in London and graduated with Bachelor of Honours in business at the age of 21. She worked for a couple of years in the corporate world before she realised that she would be better off on her own. Few years later she moved to Switzerland with her family and is now a Swiss resident. Lisa always wanted to start her own business. She started with 23 to make her own magazine with the theme of connecting women from different continents. With her passion of connecting women from different cultures she gradually got the business idea for the Women’s Expo in October 2012. 7 months later the first Women’s Expo conference took place in Zurich. With 1000 guests and 85 exhibitors she had created a new business from her idea. Lisa had no experience in marketing, public relations or business but she had a mission. With an idea how to follow her passion she started to do what needed to be done ignoring nay-sayers and her own lack of experience. Her enthusiasm is contagious which makes people want to help her execute her mission of bringing female entrepreneurs together. Lisa is now living her dream and wants to help as many women as possible to do the same with the platform she has created, the Women’s Expo.

Women ‘s Expo Switzerland
This is a one day event where the focus is on giving visitors and exhibitors an open and inspiring environment where they can connect and network and enable exhibitors to successfully promote and showcase their businesses. The first Women’s Expo took place on 26th May 2013 in Zurich. If you want to know more about Women’s Expo then check out their website and if you are in Switzerland at the time then join the event.

Passion to Profits Interview

http://www.womenexpo.ch/founder/

Donel Mangera - 16 - the Voice UK

Grandma lights it up

The Voice UK finalist Donel Mangena invited to perform for the Queen
Will.i.am reveals Prince Harry asked 16-year-old to appear at monarch's birthday concert

The Voice UK hopeful Donel Mangena has been invited to perform at the Queen’s 92nd birthday celebrations, his mentor Will.i.am has revealed.

Donel will sing live to the nation for the second time tonight when The Voice’s top four acts compete in its final.

However, the 16-year-old appears to have booked a high-profile gig before the ITV talent contest has even ended.

Donel has apparently been asked to perform at The Queen’s Birthday Party, a star-studded concert being held to mark the monarch’s 92nd birthday.

Will.i.am let the news slip at a press conference for the semi-final, revealing it was Prince Harry who extended the invite.

“He showed me this letter... oh, am I allowed to say this?,” the Black Eyed Peas frontman said (quotes via The Sun).

“He got a letter from Prince Harry inviting him, requesting him, to perform at his grandmother's 92nd birthday.

“I was like 'woah, get the hell out of here, bro’. He's only had three performances on TV and he gets that. It’s amazing.”

Fellow coach Olly Murs appeared shocked by the news, reacting: “At least we know they watch the show now!”

The Queen’s Birthday Party takes place at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday 21st April, with Her Majesty and other members of the royal family due to attend.

It will feature celebratory performances from big names including The Voice stars Sir Tom Jones and Kylie Minogue.

Other stars on the bill include Shawn Mendes, Craig David, Sting and Shaggy.

The concert will be broadcast live on BBC One and BBC Radio 2.

Donel is the last remaining act on Will’s team ahead of The Voice final.

The live show airs tonight at 8.30pm on ITV, when viewers will decide who win.

This 16-year-old is outsmarting the beauty industry one tweet at a time

aeefcc4d01555205832e9828a66532ae

View photos
@MakeupforWOC Twitter account founder Tiara Willis. (Art by Quinn Lemmers for Yahoo Lifestyle)

Yahoo Lifestyle’s Diversity in Beauty Awards (the DIBs) highlight and celebrate personalities, brands, and products that embody inclusiveness and innovation. See the 2018 winners list here. We enlisted six experts who have championed diversity in their careers and cover all bases of the beauty industry to vote on the best in makeup, skin care, hair care, and more. Here, we put a spotlight on millennial beauty maven Tiara Willis.

When I began shopping for makeup, I would automatically buy the darkest shade in the aisle because I didn’t have other options to choose from,” Willis explains to Yahoo Lifestyle. “It was frustrating because the YouTube makeup tutorials I watched would recommend specific products, but I felt excluded because those brands didn’t even offer a shade for me. I enjoyed wearing makeup; however, I felt excluded from something that I wanted to properly enjoy.”

Her first experiences of feeling disappointed by makeup products came when she would try to follow the guidance and routines of her favorite beauty gurus. Willis says that she would head to a drugstore to look for a specific product recommended for beauty beginners — yet that seemed to be reserved for women of fairer skin tones.

While learning about the techniques of highlighting and contouring in particular, she would find that the drugstore didn’t have any product made for sculpting dark cheekbones. “I thought my makeup was never going to be as beautiful as other girls’,” she admits, “because I didn’t have products made for me.”

But the harsh reality of the beauty world wasn’t something she had newly discovered. As she reflects on vintage images showing women of color in the beauty, fashion, and entertainment industries, Willis says it’s evident that traditional media never considered black women to be a priority.

“I personally noticed from looking at vintage and older images of women of color that most had a gray cast from their foundation,” she says. “It took extra effort for makeup artists to create looks on black women due to the limited amount of resources.”

cont----

Makeup For WOC@MakeupForWOC

6 Apr
Replying to @MakeupForWOC
Always wearing lashes from Dodo Lashes
1f60d.png
They’re $5-$12! Discount code: makeupforwoc http://dodolashes.com (I’m wearing D115 in first pic, D309 in second) pic.twitter.com/K5IiBVL7pU

https://twitter.com/MakeupForWOC/status/982321014402179073

Eyeshadow palettes from @juviasplace are the best
1f60d.png
Discount code: WOC http://juviasplace.com #blackowned pic.twitter.com/AhuhJOColm

2:15 PM - Apr 6, 2018

Twitter Ads info and privacy

" data-reactid="42" style="margin-bottom: 1em;">

“When I created @MakeupForWOC, my plan for the account was to provide women of color with makeup advice and empower them by sharing their beauty work,” says Willis. “At the time, my platform was unique from other makeup campaigns and social media accounts. I was not finding accounts sharing images of those who looked like me.”

With the increasing power of social media, big-time beauty brands were on the verge of evolving their collections to cater to the masses presented on these platforms. If women of color continued to be pushed out of the conversations taking place, then they would continue to be pushed out of the industry altogether. Seeing that this was the case, Willis was able to recognize how vital the representation of different types of women would become.

https://twitter.com/MakeupForWOC/status/982672206151942144

Melanin Queen
1f478-1f3fd.png
IG: @danessa_myricks

1:31 PM - Apr 7, 2018

" data-reactid="46" style="margin-bottom: 1em;">

“My intention was and remains to encourage a dynamic dialogue to increase inclusion of all races in the beauty industry,” she says. The sentiment has proved to be true, as brands are more openly dependent on the faces seen and the voices heard on social media. But that’s not to say that getting their attention is as easy as creating an account.

“The lack of representation in the beauty industry can be discouraging to influencers of color wanting to grow their platform,” Willis says. “They’re less likely to be reposted on a brand’s social media page and be involved in collaborations. Black influencers have to work twice as hard to achieve half of the success that others get.”

The Glitterati Don@jusgivemeglitta

https://twitter.com/jusgivemeglitta/status/982593684876288000

So @Maybelline fit me passed the 12 hour test. 12 hour nurse shift and we still beat.

8:19 AM - Apr 7, 2018

" data-reactid="52" style="margin-bottom: 1em;">

Fairer skin tones receive a wide variety of shades to choose from, and darker-skin women, like me, should have the same options.”

https://twitter.com/MakeupForWOC/status/982411153979604992

Who got them?
1f60d.png
1f629.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
@fentybeauty

8:14 PM - Apr 6, 2018

" data-reactid="56" style="margin-bottom: 1em;">

And while there’s still a massive need for women of color to be represented across all aspects of a beauty brand — from social media images to those actually creating the formulas — Willis praises how far she’s seen the industry come.

The industry is finally hearing the voices of women of color and acknowledging our buying power,” she says. “The more we speak out, the greater advancements are made. I am hopeful for the future of beauty to be more inclusive.”" data-reactid="58" style="margin-bottom: 1em;">“The industry is finally hearing the voices of women of color and acknowledging our buying power,” she says. “The more we speak out, the greater advancements are made. I am hopeful for the future of beauty to be more inclusive.”

Back