Welcome To aBlackWeb

Your Thoughts On Africa Bambaattaa

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Edit.

Originally I just posted a tape by Bam which illustrates his contribution to Hip Hop. But Thor made a point that Bambaattaa has been accused of molesting children which leads to the question; Should Bambaattaa be written out of history? Should his contribution be erased? Should he suffer the same fate as Pete Rose, the all-star baseball player that got banned from the Hall of Fame because he was betting on games?

I hate child molesters with a passion but I also love Hip Hop with a passion. If you dig deep in the archives there's only a handful of MCs and DJ crews that;

1. Have audio recordings of their shows in the late 70s/early 80s
2. Have their name on flyers from the late 70s/early 80s
3. Made studio recordings in the late 70s/early 80s
4. Have video footage from the late 70s/early 80s

Afrika Bambaattaa & The Soul Sonic Force is one of about a dozen crews that have all four. (and if I sat down and counted I could probably name them)

So what's the verdict? When history is being written should he be praised as a founder of Hip Hop or should he be condemned because of the pedophilia allegations (which I believe are true)?

Listen to the tape below and add your $0.02

Last edited:
I can acknowledge his contributions not about to celebrate the man

I Considered His Shit More Electro Than Hip-Hop Anyway

That's why I keep posting these shows. You might associate Bambaattaa & the Zulu Nation with Electro but that's like associating Hip Hop with Trap or Crunk. In other words, what you hear on the radio doesn't tell the whole story.

Listen to the first 5 minutes of this tape. @ 00:58 he mixes Impeach The President, the famous breakbeat that everybody sampled in the late 80s. I spoke to Grandmaster Caz about Bambaattaa (before the child molestation allegations came out). He said out of all of the early DJs, Bambaattaa had records that nobody else had. Bam was the original D.I.T.C. (Diggin In The Crates)

I accept he is a pioneer in the genre but really that means nothing in the grand scheme of things when you consider what he done to his victims lives... He ruined his legacy...

Which legacy? His legacy as a Human Being or his legacy as one of the founders of Hip Hop?

Prior to the child molestation allegations, if you played Planet Rock at a nightclub people would form a circle and start breakdancing. Does this mean DJs can no longer play Planet Rock? Does this mean we can't watch Beat Street any more because Bambaattaa's in it?

^^^ The above songs are all classic, A-List Hip Hop songs at the time they were released (except maybe the first two). Are we supposed to deny, or forget, how dope these songs were when they were released? Or how dope they sound right now in 2019?

Basically the question I'm asking is; Is Bam's music worse because he molested children? Because Planet Rock is one of the top 5 Hip Hop songs of all time imo. There's only a handful of songs that people will form a circle and start breakdancing and Planet Rock is one of them. NWA, Wu Tang, Tupac, Biggie, Nas, Jay, Kendrick, J Cole, Drake and whoever else might have a 5 mic album don't have a song to make people start breakdancing.

Which legacy? His legacy as a Human Being or his legacy as one of the founders of Hip Hop?

Prior to the child molestation allegations, if you played Planet Rock at a nightclub people would form a circle and start breakdancing. Does this mean DJs can no longer play Planet Rock? Does this mean we can't watch Beat Street any more because Bambaattaa's in it?

^^^ The above songs are all classic, A-List Hip Hop songs at the time they were released (except maybe the first two). Are we supposed to deny, or forget, how dope these songs were when they were released? Or how dope they sound right now in 2019?

Basically the question I'm asking is; Is Bam's music worse because he molested children? Because Planet Rock is one of the top 5 Hip Hop songs of all time imo. There's only a handful of songs that people will form a circle and start breakdancing and Planet Rock is one of them. NWA, Wu Tang, Tupac, Biggie, Nas, Jay, Kendrick, J Cole, Drake and whoever else might have a 5 mic album don't have a song to make people start breakdancing.

I mean his legacy period, its ruined... People will still acknowledge him as one of the pioneers of hip hop, you cant write him out of history, history is history whether good or bad but when his name is mentioned for being a pioneer there will be an asterisk attached as him being a predator... Also how can people dance to his music knowing he abused young boys smh

:wdf5:

I mean his legacy period, its ruined... People will still acknowledge him as one of the pioneers of hip hop, you cant write him out of history, history is history whether good or bad but when his name is mentioned for being a pioneer there will be an asterisk attached as him being a predator... Also how can people dance to his music knowing he abused young boys smh

:wdf5:

@ the bolded; There's a lot of child molesters and rapists out there.

Back