Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Young Black Entrepreneurs put out of business by Koreans

Inori

NAWF
Came across this twitter thread earlier and it pissed me off a bit.. Click the twitter post to see the rest of the thread to get more context..

Thoughts??

@DOS_patos i'm curious to hear what you think about this as well since you are always on the "start a business" tip... Wachu think about how these two sistas that tried to start their own business but were ultimately denied by what seems to be gatekeepers in that industry? What could they have done different?

ok ....i know i might ge theat..

but they went about it wrong.

before you start a business secured multile steams of products to bring in.
i have a roblem they are going to the competition to get products.

they could start a store and supply it with black owned products and when it comes to hair...hop they ass on a plane and go to Vietnam or Thailand or some shit. go buy hair and us a a hair weave machine

its plenty of products sold at essence fest they can partner with
get the own packaging ....and boom.
that dont have a solid business plan....they relied on people who dont want you as comp......kinda stupid frfr

ok ....i know i might ge theat..

but they went about it wrong.

before you start a business secured multile steams of products to bring in.
i have a roblem they are going to the competition to get products.

they could start a store and supply it with black owned products and when it comes to hair...hop they ass on a plane and go to Vietnam or Thailand or some shit. go buy hair and us a a hair weave machine

its plenty of products sold at essence fest they can partner with
get the own packaging ....and boom.
that dont have a solid business plan....they relied on people who dont want you as comp......kinda stupid frfr

Is it really that simple though? What if the Korean products are the most popular products in the community?

What if the black owned products cost more and they have to charge more for it because they can't mass produce at the moment like Koreans can?

Not everyone can hop they ass on a plane to Vietnam or Thailand...

Is it really that simple though? What if the Korean products are the most popular products in the community?

What if the black owned products cost more and they have to charge more for it because they can't mass produce at the moment like Koreans can?

Not everyone can hop they ass on a plane to Vietnam or Thailand...
if you trying to do business you have to cut costs and i am sure you can get to those places and since we have the internet she can find people ready to sell hair and hook it up some how.
as for the product...they have to brand and market......black people know black people. and we are very good at telling people other people aint shit....so why aint it time for this now? build your brand. free promotional products.

when i was at essence fest a certain black company have the youngins out every morning handing out bags with their products. pulling wagons all over the streets between the superdown and the convention center.....they was branding/.

next its superior customer service.

should i go on? do i need more details?

this from the top?

ok....now that my head is a bit more clear.

i think they wanted to do this too fast and thought it was just build and they will come.

they have a great idea like most people do but execution is also just as if not more important.

@Inori
you asked if the koreans had a superior product......what classifies as superior? most branded things are not superior to generic things...its the branding that makes us think so... most of the time we dont know what we really like because we are often raised on branded products and already have it in our mind that generic is less.

so people may think the korean products are better and they why they still get business even when its other black owned products out there.

i am also curios why they had to go out of business and why wasnt it people around to help them or guide them?
no mentors present? no locals present?
did they speak up?

some many questions.

and they should have supplied their supply lines first.

sounds like they may have done what alot of other people do......buy , mark up and rebrand.
that left them open to be controlled and put out of business.

the korean are not the gatekeepers......
we just have to think outside the box like we always do.

ok....now that my head is a bit more clear.

i think they wanted to do this too fast and thought it was just build and they will come.

they have a great idea like most people do but execution is also just as if not more important.

@Inori
you asked if the koreans had a superior product......what classifies as superior? most branded things are not superior to generic things...its the branding that makes us think so... most of the time we dont know what we really like because we are often raised on branded products and already have it in our mind that generic is less.

so people may think the korean products are better and they why they still get business even when its other black owned products out there.

i am also curios why they had to go out of business and why wasnt it people around to help them or guide them?
no mentors present? no locals present?
did they speak up?

some many questions.

and they should have supplied their supply lines first.

sounds like they may have done what alot of other people do......buy , mark up and rebrand.
that left them open to be controlled and put out of business.

the korean are not the gatekeepers......
we just have to think outside the box like we always do.

While I agree with you the plan should have been better thought out and reliable suppliers should have been secured up front.. you must admit that if the overall majority of the major suppliers, distributors and manufacturers of the shit you are trying to sell are Korean.. and they refuse to sell to you because you aren't Korean... that's presents a problem lol.

And yeah.. thinking outside of the box in order to circumvent that issue will be necessary for sure. I just hope that any future black entrepreneurs that want to get into that industry will look at this case and maneuver differently going forward and find success.

While I agree with you the plan should have been better thought out and reliable suppliers should have been secured up front.. you must admit that if the overall majority of the major suppliers, distributors and manufacturers of the shit you are trying to sell are Korean.. and they refuse to sell to you because you aren't Korean... that's presents a problem lol.

And yeah.. thinking outside of the box in order to circumvent that issue will be necessary for sure. I just hope that any future black entrepreneurs that want to get into that industry will look at this case and maneuver differently going forward and find success.
do the korean need to know who they are selling to? how do they know?
and maybe they are starting too big and need to start small and work with/partner or what ever with other black entrepreneurs.

they may have to bite the bullet on costs and pat more from our own....but its worth it.

i cant admit that all the products are made from koreans....i dont know. its not my industry and i never really took time to look into it like i do other things but you now have me interested and i will research it for my own purposes now.
source.gif

ILL BE BACK!

that might be a bit of a stretch bruh lol

They don’t power but be making power moves state side

I worked for Hyundai Marine Merchant (shipping) and it’s a Korean company and they came straight from there and I don’t like them at all. They making moves right under our noses and they taking over

No reason to hate on the Koreans here. It looks like they were simply protecting their own interests. Asians have a monopoly on this shit. We couldn't expect them to give it up that easy. It's just annoying that Asians are making so much money from black women over this fake hair shit. That just seems wrong.

No reason to hate on the Koreans here. It looks like they were simply protecting their own interests. Asians have a monopoly on this shit. We couldn't expect them to give it up that easy. It's just annoying that Asians are making so much money from black women over this fake hair shit. That just seems wrong.
well we do allow anyone to feed us what we want.....dont have to be authentic unless its from us.

we really need to look at how we see us and why we hate each other so much.
what generation,. what genre, what economic status, what shade, what location.......who is going to be the first off the merry go round?
and who gonna be the one to stop the motherfucker from keep spinning the shit so niggas are scared to jump off....

that was deep. BARZ#

That’s the in hair of choice for most black women though. That’s like trying to open up a shoe store and not sell Nike/Jordan’s

Do ya'll dudes really like seeing chicks with all the fake hair? I've seen some chicks that look alright with it, but nowadays most of these chicks just look ridiculous in my opinion. I can't for the life of me understand how long red/blue/white hair down to the ass became so big a thing for these chicks. It looks crazy to me.

Didn't read but how does your black business completely rely on koreans in the place? There are plenty more hair connects

Didn't read but how does your black business completely rely on koreans in the place? There are plenty more hair connects

Asians kinda do have that shit on lock though. That's likely the reason why don't see more black owned business of that type. If you're not dealing with Far East Asians, you'd probably have to deal with Southeast Asians, which probably isn't much better.

Back