Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Willy Wonka: savior or slave master?

Classic movie, I thought it was supposed to represent an element of human nature where the adults have all forgotten who they are and are plagued with moral issues such as greed, low self esteem, envy, classism, narcissism, grandiosity, pessimism and more. Each character represents these archetypes and shows how it becomes their undoing.

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory is low key a motivational story and all the songs Wonka sings are all filled with gems. His symbolism is literally to put the medicine in the candy and to show anything is possible no matter your circumstances.

Really ? I know that he was openly antisemitic and didnt care if he was and that his books had sexual undertones but I never heard anything about him being racist towards black people. When I google the Oompa Loompas being from Africa is the only thing that appears and him being antisemitic.

Not saying he cant be or may not have been because I'm not aware but some of these things could also us looking back with our perspectives today given current events and attributing that's how we think they thought as well back then. Like Robin from Batman people think was gay and pedo because his name was "Dick", he wore a goofy outfit and shared a bed with a millionaire playboy who was supposed to be like a big brother to him. When back then no one was making that assertion and he was supposed to model the original Robin Hood from the Camelot tales.

charoompa1.gif

170755-ajhabsdff.jpg

Oompa-Loompa illustration by Joseph Schindelman, copyright Ā© 1964 and renewed 1992 by Joseph Schindelman, from CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY by Roald Dahl. Used by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, an imprint of Random House Childrenā€™s Books, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. All rights reserved.

...Like Robin from Batman people think was gay and pedo because his name was "Dick", he wore a goofy outfit and shared a bed with a millionaire playboy who was supposed to be like a big brother to him.
tenor.gif

Slave master
It was never subtle.

I often be surprised how certain literary themes fall on people....

But to be honest, that's not truly fair....I grew up reading books and having discussions about their overall themes.

This was heavily implied in the movie, and flat out blatant in the book...

But yeah... He had slave workers and gave no fucks about it

Oh and Batman gets tons of shit for raising so many child soldiers....

Dude a straight up warmonger....

What if Oompaloopaland was on some Skull Island type shit w/ the wangdoodles.

Wonka said the Oompaloopas were helpless against them and other fierce beasts.

Interesting how his wife said Charlie was supposed to be a black kid

Charlie Bucket, the hero of Roald Dahl's famous children's book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which also inspired two films and a British confectionery company, was originally written to be a "little black boy," according to an interview with Felicity Dahl, the author's widow.

She spoke earlier this week on BBC Radio 4's Today program, alongside Roald Dahl biographer Donald Sturrock, who said it was the writer's agent "who thought it was a bad idea" and had the author turn the protagonist white.

"People would ask why (Charlie was black)," Sturrock quoted the agent as saying.

The BBC interviewer followed up by suggesting a new rewrite of the book that would recast Charlie as a black child, to which Felicity Dahl responded, "it would be wonderful, wouldn't it?"

charoompa1.gif

170755-ajhabsdff.jpg

Oompa-Loompa illustration by Joseph Schindelman, copyright Ā© 1964 and renewed 1992 by Joseph Schindelman, from CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY by Roald Dahl. Used by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, an imprint of Random House Childrenā€™s Books, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. All rights reserved.

Well I'll be damned!!

Wow!! Just.... wow

Back