Welcome To aBlackWeb

Why Women Are Saying the Allegations Against Tom Brokaw Are Totally False

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Veteran newsman Tom Brokaw is the latest to join the growing list of men accused of workplace sexual harassment. Former NBC journalist Linda Vester said Brokaw forcibly kissed and groped her in 90s, allegationsthat Brokaw denies, Vox reports. Since Vester came forward, another woman, who remains anonymous, alleged Brokaw groped her.

In light of these accusations, something unusual occurred, especially in this highly charged #metoo environment. Colleagues and respected industry women are coming forward to defend Brokaw and support his character. But is their support blind? Wait until you see what these people are saying on page 6.

1. This is what his female supporters say about Brokaw
Rachel-Maddow--640x426.jpg

Rachel Maddow signed her signature in support. | Brendan Hoffman/Getty Images

Brokaw was referred to as “a man of tremendous decency and integrity” in a letter initially signed by 64 professional women, The Hollywood Reporter cites.

“Tom has treated each of us with fairness and respect. He has given each of us opportunities for advancement and championed our successes throughout our careers. As we have advanced across industries — news, publishing, law, business and government — Tom has been a valued source of counsel and support.”

2. Their support withstands the test of time
Andrea-Mitchell-640x427.jpg

Andrea Mitchell also signed her name. | Paul Morigi/Getty Images for Fortune

Many of Brokaw’s supporters have a long history with the newsman. Among the signers were veteran journalists Maria Shriver and Andrea Mitchell, with collective support spanning four decades back to 1976, according to People.

3. They support Brokaw while also backing the #metoo movement
Tom-Brokaw-640x447.jpg

Many women are coming to the support of Tom Brokaw. | Paul Morigi/Getty Images for WS Productions

The women who signed the letter still back the #metoo movement. The missive begins: “As professional women, we fully endorse the conversation around abuse of power in the workplace. In the context of that conversation, we would like to share our perspectives on working with Tom Brokaw,” according to The Hollywood Reporter.

4. More and more people are supporting Brokaw
GettyImages-813491786-640x427.jpg

Mika Brzezinski voiced his support. | Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

More women back Brokaw with MSNBC’s Morning Joe co-host tweeting, Mika Brzezinski tweeting, “Add me to the list.” The original list of 64 grew to more than 100 women, CNN reports.

5. Brokaw’s response
GettyImages-613188804.jpg

Some are coming to his defense already. | D Dipasupil/Getty Images for SAG-AFTRA Foundation

It didn’t take long for Brokaw to give a detailed response to Vester’s allegations of sexual misconduct.

I was ambushed and then perp walked across the pages of The Washington Post and Variety as an avatar of male misogyny, taken to the guillotine and stripped of any honor and achievement I had earned in more than a half century of journalism and citizenship.

I am angry, hurt and unmoored from what I thought would be the final passage of my life and career, a mix of written and broadcast journalism … I am facing a long list of grievances from a former colleague who left NBC News angry that she had failed in her pursuit of stardom.

6. However, this is what some NBC staffers are saying
Tom-Brokaw-wearing-glasses-640x426.jpg

Are employees being pressured to sign their names in support of Brokaw? | Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images

Some women, especially those new to the NBC staff told Page Six, “We felt forced to sign the letter supporting Brokaw. We had no choice, particularly the lower level staffers. The letter was being handed around the office and the unspoken threat was that if your name was not on it, there would be some repercussion down the road.”

7. Are some employees feeling pressure to sign the letter?
matt-lauer-today-640x360.jpg

Matt Lauer caused quite a bit of trouble for NBC. | NBC

Staffers said executives were keeping tabs on who signed (and how didn’t) and voiced concern the network, already damaged from the Matt Lauer scandal, might be doing this to protect it’s image.

8. Why Megyn Kelly refuses to sign the petition
Megyn-Kelly-1-640x320.jpg

Megyn Kelly, for one, is not signing her name. | Jemal Countess/Getty Images

Megyn Kelly, NBC reporter and a professional who experienced sexual harassment firsthand, told women to exercise caution when running to Brokaw’s defense, Variety reports.

Kelly refused to add her signature to the letter saying that the entire story has not played out and that, “You don’t know what you don’t know,” Variety recounted from a recent episode of Megyn Kelly Today. But added, “That’s not in any way to impugn Tom, who I love and who’s been so good to me.”

9. More allegations against Brokaw surface
GettyImages-613185628.jpg

Even more disturbing allegations have come to light. | D Dipasupil/Getty Images for SAG-AFTRA Foundation

Following Vester’s allegations, an anonymous woman claimed that Brokaw had also made sexual advances toward her at NBC in the ’90s. And now a third woman, freelance writer Mary Reinholz, has an unsavory story to tell about Brokaw. From her own article in The Villager:

We talked and then, abruptly, he was embracing me and giving me a French kiss. I pulled away, reminding him that he was married and a tryst was out of the question. He said, “Yes, it would be unfair to Meredith,” meaning his wife … Even so, I liked him and wanted to stay friendly. I even called him a couple of times for one reason or another in Los Angeles and once in the early 1970s after I relocated to New York. By then he had been tapped as NBC’s White House correspondent. He was polite, and gave me the telephone number of a government agency I wanted to contact. I never saw him again.

Time will tell if there are others that come forward to tell stories. Even if Brokaw admits to wrongdoings, there will be some who will excuse his behavior as simply a product of the time. After all, Reinholz’s own allegation comes from 70 years ago. But nevertheless, it’s a good lesson in not rushing to the defense of any person accused of offensive behavior.

funny how people are skippin he may have abused women.

yet all the good cosby did....it didnt matter

so why should it matter with this guy?

Another white man gets the benefit of the doubt. To prosecute one of them you need proof, irrefutable proof. To prosecute a black man all you need is a couple of white women crying. Those tears are powerful. Bill Cosby is facing 30 years and financial ruin just because a white woman sobbed. Funny thing is that she also stayed in contact with Cosby after she claimed he violated her same as Brokaws victim.

Al Franken who is probably gay was ushered the fuck out of Congress w mad women stating their support for him and vouching for him

Another white man gets the benefit of the doubt. To prosecute one of them you need proof, irrefutable proof. To prosecute a black man all you need is a couple of white women crying. Those tears are powerful. Bill Cosby is facing 30 years and financial ruin just because a white woman sobbed. Funny thing is that she also stayed in contact with Cosby after she claimed he violated her same as Brokaws victim.
Don’t forget u also need a pile of angry niggas in their feelings as well but let’s go ahead and focus on R Kelly

funny how people are skippin he may have abused women.

yet all the good cosby did....it didnt matter

so why should it matter with this guy?

Well the difference is that, based on the article, people who know Brokaw don't actually believe he did it and that's why they are standing up. The people that were around Cosby at the time aren't doing that, in fact, a few have, but more are either refusing to speak on things or suggesting their might be some truth to the allegations. I'm not saying that makes Cosby guilty and Brokaw innocent, but it does suggest something. Either Cosby surrounded himself with a bunch of disloyal people or many of those he surrounded himself with saw things that make them think he's wrong.

Well the difference is that, based on the article, people who know Brokaw don't actually believe he did it and that's why they are standing up. The people that were around Cosby at the time aren't doing that, in fact, a few have, but more are either refusing to speak on things or suggesting their might be some truth to the allegations. I'm not saying that makes Cosby guilty and Brokaw innocent, but it does suggest something. Either Cosby surrounded himself with a bunch of disloyal people or many of those he surrounded himself with saw things that make them think he's wrong.
or maybe he told niggas to act like adults and they felt he was talking down to them

or maybe

niggas just aint loyal. out of all the shit cosby did ...very few came forward. but niggas was cashing checks while the allegations was still running around. niggas was still going to him for help.
but brokaw, wienstein, and all the rest are all given an opportunity to be proven innocent?

and then these same bitches saying they can be for the metoo movement. how?

Black women.....are you seeing thru the smoke yet?

or maybe he told niggas to act like adults and they felt he was talking down to them

or maybe

niggas just aint loyal. out of all the shit cosby did ...very few came forward. but niggas was cashing checks while the allegations was still running around. niggas was still going to him for help.
but brokaw, wienstein, and all the rest are all given an opportunity to be proven innocent?

and then these same bitches saying they can be for the metoo movement. how?

Black women.....are you seeing thru the smoke yet?

You think cosby was around the people he criticized? If anything he probably had a bunch of yes men.

Back