Welcome To aBlackWeb

Why Was Ja Rule Popular?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Holla Holla was big when it came out.

And he had some hits with Ashanti.

But he was outselling Jay Z and DMX at one point. And I don't think he raps as good as either one of them.

Why was Ja Rule so popular?

Was it his image?

Arguably the most underrated rapper of all time.

This nigga dominated the game for a min and is left off every alltime list.

Honestly, besides his songs with Ashanti, I didn't think of him as a rappity rap rapper. Black Thought, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Nas, Jay Z were all out around the same time and I thought they all rapped better.

Canibus was out around the time Ja Rule was poppin and I thought Canibus was going to be the next one.

I remember seeing Ja Rule perform Clap Back at an award show and I couldn't make out the words. I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.

Edit. Can anybody understand the words?

Last edited:
Nah, I never see him on any top 50 list.

He has about 5 songs that I would consider Timeless classics. (Holla Holla, Can I Get A..., Put It On Me, Always On Time, New York)

But as far as I know, his albums are all underwhelming.

Does he belong on a top 50 list?

Honestly, besides his songs with Ashanti, I didn't think of him as a rappity rap rapper. Black Thought, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Nas, Jay Z were all out around the same time and I thought they all rapped better.

Canibus was out around the time Ja Rule was poppin and I thought Canibus was going to be the next one.

I remember seeing Ja Rule perform Clap Back at an award show and I couldn't make out the words. I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.

Edit. Can anybody understand the words?

I remember early Ja when there were talks of the "Murder Inc" album being made with Ja, X and Hov. Ja was dope, but him going "commercial" and 50 made niggas forget.

But Ja had some shit:

I remember early Ja when there were talks of the "Murder Inc" album being made with Ja, X and Hov. Ja was dope, but him going "commercial" and 50 made niggas forget.

But Ja had some shit:

Looking at those videos, Ja Rule had a big budget. The production was top notch and he had a clearly defined image (no shirt, bandana). But my point is that he just wasn't a rappity rap rapper.

I think people were a victim of the times. 50 came out and niggas turned on him because 50 was on fire.

Ja put it best. “50 told y’all ice cream was terrible then sold you ice cream.”

He got the MC Hammer treatment.

Venni Vetti Vecci was a classic. He had a lot of billboard smashes.

Beats, melodies, great features, good rapper, ladies loved his shyt....

The most unprecedented shyt in hip hop history, his rival joked about his melodies, and got others to follow. Then the rival blows up using melodies...lol

I think people were a victim of the times. 50 came out and niggas turned on him because 50 was on fire.

Ja put it best. “50 told y’all ice cream was terrible then sold you ice cream.”

He got the MC Hammer treatment.

Venni Vetti Vecci was a classic. He had a lot of billboard smashes.

Beats, melodies, great features, good rapper, ladies loved his shyt....

The most unprecedented shyt in hip hop history, his rival joked about his melodies, and got others to follow. Then the rival blows up using melodies...lol

Do you guys think he was good at rapping?

Because his songs with Ashanti were catchy radio singles. But as far as rapping goes, there were a ton of better rappers at the time.

His shit was catchy, plain and simple. He wasn't no punchline rapper with a bunch of complex rhyme schemes or unique flows but he wasn't the remedial mumble rapper you're making him out to be.

A lot of people called him a DMX clone early on for obvious reasons. Then he started doing a lot more singing where prior he was simply rapping melodically. Women loved that shit. But some of us were tired of it by his third album.

Enter mr. survivor of nine shots himself 50 Cent breaks out with a single dissing Ja that makes mad waves. The then-underdog throwing shots the pop-ular Rule made for a quick turn of the tide. The rest is history

Do you guys think he was good at rapping?

Because his songs with Ashanti were catchy radio singles. But as far as rapping goes, there were a ton of better rappers at the time.
I think dude was a good rapper, some of the b sides showed that. I wasnt the biggest fan, but heard some solid verses from dude

Back