Welcome To aBlackWeb

Why Do Rappers/MCs Make EPs?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Nowadays to make a full album all you need is a computer, some software (I bought a iMac a few years ago and it came with Garage Band) and a microphone.

If you have 7 or 8 tracks, how much more difficult would it be to make another 7 or 8 tracks?

If you're any good you could write three 16 bar verses in one day. If it takes a week to make an EP, it would probably take another week to make a full length album.

So what's the point of an EP?

Between August 2019 and now I made 10 albums/mixtapes. Each album has 22 tracks and none of them sound the same.

Now all I have to do is get them mastered.

It's not difficult to make an album where all of the tracks are different, or they don't all sound the same.

It might be that these MCs/rappers don't make their own beats, so they need to pay producers.

I know Jay Z doesn't make beats. Neither does Nas as far as I know.

But how hard is it to pick 20 beats, make 20 songs, and then delete/cut the 5 worst tracks?

Between August 2019 and now I made 10 albums/mixtapes. Each album has 22 tracks and none of them sound the same.

It's not difficult to make an album where all of the tracks are different, or they don't all sound the same.

It might be that these MCs/rappers don't make their own beats, so they need to pay producers.

But how hard is it to pick 20 beats, make 20 songs, and then delete/cut the 5 worst tracks?
Nas and Jay barely make music these days and we're lucky to get an release.

Thats why I said these new rappers. Obviously music back in the day sounded different, they also had skits on the LPs.

I've tried to keep up with the new rappers and listen to their music on spotify.

Every track sounds the same. Even the one with features.

Moreso because its the same subject matter over and over again.

They'd be better off trying to make 8 songs than 18 songs, because their creativity isn't good enough for them to come up with that much subject matter

those five they cut should be a bonus

Thats why I said these new rappers. Obviously music back in the day sounded different, they also had skits on the LPs.

I've tried to keep up with the new rappers and listen to their music on spotify.

facts u know what ur gonna expect with these artist now . they all using the same feat so the songs sound the same .

They'd be better off trying to make 8 songs than 18 songs, because their creativity isn't good enough for them to come up with that much subject matter
Truth.com

The greatest rap album ever was only 10 tracks.........:js4:

I can explain why.

Back in the 80s people still bought records and tapes. The vinyl record album was still a thing in the 80s. Especially for DJs.

A record album can hold approximately 23 minutes per side. Cassettes and CDs can hold more music, but if you put more than 23 minutes on side a or b, the record starts to skip. Also, a mastering engineer can make a song louder with more bass if the record is shorter. If you've ever collected vinyl you'll notice that 12" singles are louder than albums. Even if you bought the single, and then bought the album, the same song is always louder on the 12".

Criminal Minded, Paid In Full, Raising Hell, Radio, Long Live The Kane, all of those albums were approximately 23 minutes per side.

The industry started promoting CDs and tapes in the later 80s. There's a handful of albums that came out in the late 80s and early 90s that were over 23 minutes per side and they skipped (It's A Big Daddy Thing, 3 Feet High & Rising, One For All to name a few).

So Illmatic was intentionally made so with that in mind. Illmatic is 49 minutes, slightly over 23 minutes per side.

Toward the mid 90s Rap albums started coming out on double Vinyl.

I wouldn't have been mad if they put The World Is Yours (Q-Tip Remix) as a bonus track.

I mean why not?? With tha ease and overall pace dudes are makin’ music now they’re bound to have a lot of music on deck....artists have figured out that you definitely make more money releasing shit than you do sittin’ on it...that and EPs have basically taken tha place of mixtapes....

I say have at it...I enjoy tha influx of music

:ualreadyknow:

Most double discs are a chore to listen to

There are very few double disc albums that really need to be 20+ songs

Chop that shit down.

Kinda like most people dont enjoy 4hr long movies

Back