Welcome To aBlackWeb

Who Taught You To Hate Yourself?

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
This is somewhat of a spinoff to Instagram's thread. Is it them copying us more or is it us copying them?

Yea there's been many things they've stolen from black women in the regards of beauty....big asses, lips, tanned skin, etc. But if that's the case, why are black women still willing to spend their last to meet european standards of beauty?

"Good Hair"

The culture surrounding weaves, such as the links between more traditionally white hair textures and the pricing system of weaves, helps to exacerbate the notion of “good hair” as “non-Black.

For many African American women, the perception of them as having “Good Hair” is an embedded part of their self esteem. Some can’t and will not be seen without weave despite the cost and the time required to achieve it.

Black women spend an estimated $7.5 billion annually on beauty products, shelling out 80% more on cosmetics and twice as much on skin care as their non-Black counterparts.

"Skin Bleaching"

A recent study by the University of Cape Town suggests that one woman in three in South Africa bleaches her skin. The reasons for this are as varied as the cultures in this country but most people say they use skin-lighteners because they want "white skin".

So I ask again, is it them copying us more or are we conditioned to meet their standard of beauty?

Growing up the symbol of beauty was a white woman. A slender, blonde white woman. So naturally, we were almost brainwashed to think white was right. The lighter your skin, the better you were. I, personally, never wanted to be white. My daddy and mama made me love the skin I was in. However, I've had friends at school say they wanted to be white or look like the white girl in the magazines. You rarely saw black women ever being a beauty symbol. As we got older and times sort of start changing, all of a sudden big ass and full lips, were the IN thing. This is something black women had.

I think now that more black women are starting to embrace their beauty, white people are trying to market off of it.

Growing up the symbol of beauty was a white woman. A slender, blonde white woman. So naturally, we were almost brainwashed to think white was right. The lighter your skin, the better you were. I, personally, never wanted to be white. My daddy and mama made me love the skin I was in. However, I've had friends at school say they wanted to be white or look like the white girl in the magazines. You rarely saw black women ever being a beauty symbol. As we got older and times sort of start changing, all of a sudden big ass and full lips, were the IN thing. This is something black women had.

I think now that more black women are starting to embrace their beauty, white people are trying to market off of it.

Do you wear weave? If so, do you view it as trying to meet european standards of beauty? Also , what stops you from wearing your hair natural 24/7?

I think in the generations to come, the skin bleaching would change and the self hate would change, especially now that white people are appropriating every damn thing we do. It might not completely vanish but black women embracing themselves is almost common compared to when I was growing up. Embracing your natural hair was NEVER a big thing. We would smack a perm on our heads so fast. Now, natural hair is everywhere! Loving the color of your skin too. I've heard the "I'm too black. I'm ugly" and the "I'm light skin, I'm pretty" when I was growing up. Now black women are embracing their skin tones. It's a beautiful thing.

Do you wear weave? If so, do you view it as trying to meet european standards of beauty? Also , what stops you from wearing your hair natural 24/7?

I do wear weave. I'm not wearing it to meet standards, I wear it because I get tired of rocking my natural hair and I want a new look without having to change my natural hair. Living in Houston and my hair and it's humid weather is not a good mix. So, it's a struggle and sometimes it's just like "man I need a break, let me get some braids or some weave for a while." I love my natural hair, sometimes I just want a straight look without damaging my hair. WEAVE. I want a new color without dying my real hair. WEAVE. I want something to protect my hair from the heat of the sun. Weave or braids.

I do wear weave. I'm not wearing it to meet standards, I wear it because I get tired of rocking my natural hair and I want a new look without having to change my natural hair. Living in Houston and my hair and it's humid weather is not a good mix. So, it's a struggle and sometimes it's just like "man I need a break, let me get some braids or some weave for a while." I love my natural hair, sometimes I just want a straight look without damaging my hair. WEAVE. I want a new color without dying my real hair. WEAVE. I want something to protect my hair from the heat of the sun. Weave or braids.
how much do you spend a year on Yoo-Jin and Suprinda hair?

Gotta disagree, during the 70s wearing an afro or your hair naturally was a big thing.
True but I was born in the 80s. That's not what I saw. By the time, I was of age to understand things, afros wasn't the thing of beauty. White skinny blonde chicks were. The straighter the hair, the better.

:idkb3: if you say so. With black hair being a superior grade of hair, weather shouldn't be an issue, especially from the sun, african hair? from the sun? idk slime

:idkb3: if you say so. With black hair being a superior grade of hair, weather shouldn't be an issue, especially from the sun, african hair? from the sun? idk slime

The sun dries out my hair. In some cases, natural hair women protect their hair in the winter from the dry air. Black women try to keep moisture in. The sun is not the only factor on why I choose to wear weave. I have a good grade of hair and a lot of it. Being natural is a job. It don't always just take water to tame this. For some folks it do.

I thought of making a thread that speaks to African American women and hair and naming it "To weave or not to weave, that is the question" lol!

For serious though, I have never worn weave. Never felt the need. Perhaps thought about wigs because of different styles that I would like to see myself in, like a short hairstyle but me not wanting to cut my own hair, but then was like "Naw, I'm good'.

Weave/wigs are not for me, and I can see how one can correlate the use of them to one trying to be something that they are not. In turn proving that they obviously do not like who they are.

Though this may be true "most" of the time, I do not believe this is the case all of the time.

Women have different reasons why they wear weave/wigs and you can't throw them all in a bucket with those that don't love themselves because of it.

Last edited:
I thought of making a thread that speaks to African American women and hair and naming it "To weave or not to weave, that is the question" lol!

For serious though, I have never worn weave. Never felt the need. Perhaps thought about wigs because of different styles that I would like to see myself in, like a short hairstyle but me not wanting to cut my own hair, but then was like "Naw, I'm good'.

Weave/wigs are not for me, and I can see how one can correlate the use of it one wanting to be something that they are not. In turn proving that the obviously do not like who they are.

Though this is true "most" of the time, I do not believe this is the case all of the time.

Women have different reasons why they where weave/wigs and you can't throw them all in a bucket with those that don't love themselves because of it.
all this, when straight hairs worn in all your pics?
:ha:
Hoteps and Hypocrites

Oh brother...
Black women can do whatever they want to their hair.
weave it, braid it, fry it, dye it...idc

...we define who we are and that definition is not tied to our hair.

oh it's a hotep day? bet you'd still fuck beyonce
You're by far the worst poster on here
tumblr_m5ilohFVUU1rq4q6jo1_250_zpsekz9kkcd.gif

Back