Welcome To aBlackWeb

Who Ran Hip Hop In 1999

Who Ran Hip Hop In 1999

• Total voters
This another one of them years when a bunch of folks made some noise.

Em
Juvie/BG/Wayne/Hot Boyz
Nas
Missy
The Roots
Ja Rule
X/Eve/Ruff Ryders

Last edited:
Eminem the rapper & Cash Money & Rawkus Records The labels... The Neo Soul Movement Vs Bling Bling Movement was strong in 99

Last edited:
DMX ran it.

He was coming into 1999 with ‘Flesh of my Flesh’ freshly dropping after ‘IDAHIH’ had marinated through 98, and then rode that popularity through the entire year as ‘And Then there was X’ dropped later in the year.

This is the actual year that DMX was at his most popular point.

Cash Money for me. Even though 400 Degreez really came out in 98 but going into 99 them niggas was untouchable. From what they were dropping to the features man good times.

‘99 don’t have a close to unanimous choice like in previous years. But for me I’d give ‘99 to Jay Z and DMX in a tie. Shout outs to Cash Money, Lauryn Hill, Snoop and Ja Rule.

I think its gotta be Aftermath, they were on the verge of their reign with Em exploding to the public, but Ruff Ryders were smoking and Ja Rule and Murda Inc were buzzing or starting their wave too...

Rawkus did their thing on the indi/underground thing though and the South still had heat with No Limit and Cash Money, Snoop dropped with No Limit in 1999 didnt he??? Or that might of been 1998...

Last edited:
Eminem went diamond. I remember people protesting him for saying he hated his ex wife and having lyrics about killing her amongst other things. It's funny cuz Eminem I think most people thought he was gonna be a 1 hit wonder and disappear but look at him now. 100 million plus records later.....
In 2000 Eminem went Diamond with Marshall Mathers LP tho...

I won’t deny that Em and Dre exploded on the scene with Aftermath Records in 99, but Em was a novelty act for most of that year. He became fully accepted by the hood late in 1999/early 2000 though.

Props also to Cash Money Records as they began taking over from No Limit Records in 1999.

All that said, DMX ran hip hop in 1999.

I won’t deny that Em and Dre exploded on the scene with Aftermath Records in 99, but Em was a novelty act for most of that year. He became fully accepted by the hood late in 1999/early 2000 though.

Props also to Cash Money Records as they began taking over from No Limit Records in 1999.

All that said, DMX ran hip hop in 1999.

6 mill>>>> 5mill

Dre>>>

Back