Welcome To aBlackWeb

Who Ran Hip Hop In 1995

But if I’m being biased, then I would I would say Rae and Ghost. I still play that damn Purple Tape, but Biggie was a superstar during that time and One More Chance shut the summer down.

Its true

One More Chance shut that summer down.

My ex and I used to drive from Ypsi to Dearborn and back every day 'cause I worked at this car stereo shop there. I remember when the single for "One More Chance" dropped it was a wrap; we heard that song on the radio on the way there and back every fuckin day around the same time. That whole summer was all about "One More Chance".

The_Alkaholiks_Album_Coast_II_Coast.jpg

Alkaholiks came with it on Coast II Coast. "DAAAM!" was hot as fuck early in the year. I played that tape so fuckin much my ex intentionally left it on the dash that summer and warped it. I took that muhfucka home, popped open the tape, transferred it an empty shell I copped from Radio Shack, and later that evening we went out and I popped that tape right back in the deck. She was mad as fuck!

Early in '95 Warren G was still riding off of his single "Do You See"

Do_You_See.jpg

truthfully, that song was still in decent rotation during the summer of '95. Loved riding out Michigan Ave or I94 from the crib to Detroit with that joint in the deck.

Doo Wop's 95 Live tape was the hottest "thing" to come out of 1995. It might not have been an official album, but it was what we listened to all summer.

Mr Cee had a mixtape called The Best Of Biggie that was out around the same time. It was all remixes, features and posse cuts that weren't on Ready To Die. As far as I understand, this was the first artist mixtape. It was sold at mixtape spots in Boston and presumably every major city.

If anybody knows of an artist mixtape before The Best Of Biggie, add on.

I can tell y’all or only listen to the east coast radio in 95... this was the best diss track and the album was fire in 95 .. this this was on every radio station in 95 And Quik was the best DJ in 95 ... DeathRow

Last edited:
I can tell y’all or only listen to the east coast radio in 95... this was the best diss track and the album was fire in 95 .. this this was on every radio station in 95 And Quik was the best DJ in 95 ... DeathRow

95 had a shitload of good music released, just like '93. It's hard to keep track of all that shit 23 years later. I just looked up all the hip hop releases for 1995. Completely forgot that most of that shit dropped that year. GZA, Raekwon, ODB, Nine, Luniz, King Tee, Kool G Rap, KRS ONE, AZ, Pharcyde, Pac, Jayo Felony, Naughty By Nature, Mobb Deep... I copped most of the shit that dropped that year too.

95 had a shitload of good music released, just like '93. It's hard to keep track of all that shit 23 years later. I just looked up all the hip hop releases for 1995. Completely forgot that most of that shit dropped that year. GZA, Raekwon, ODB, Nine, Luniz, King Tee, Kool G Rap, KRS ONE, AZ, Pharcyde, Pac, Jayo Felony, Naughty By Nature, Mobb Deep... I copped most of the shit that dropped that year too.

Yup ... Back when Every Tuesday a new album drop ... Fuck a Friday...lol

Back