Welcome To aBlackWeb

Who Is Your Favorite Musician Of All Time?

When you say "musician" do you mean a person that plays an instrument, or an artist (singer, rapper, etc)?

If we're talking about people that play instruments, I might say John Coltrane.

But if we're talking artist, I might say myself, Mic Shabazz

When you say "musician" do you mean a person that plays an instrument, or an artist (singer, rapper, etc)?

If we're talking about people that play instruments, I might say John Coltrane.

But if we're talking artist, I might say myself, Mic Shabazz
You seen him live?

You seen him live?

No but his albums are incredible.

If you're into Jazz, or even if you've never really listened to Jazz, he has alot of albums that you can just zone out to.

I'm in a typing mood so I'll give a lil info on Trane.

So John Coltrane played the saxophone. He played in Miles Davis' band and is on a few of Miles Davis' albums. Most notably Kind of Blue, which is Miles Davis's Magnum Opus (along with Bitches Brew). For the record, Miles Davis played the trumpet, John Coltrane played the saxophone. It's been said that Kind of Blue is the biggest selling Jazz album of all time (not including people like Kenny G). I'm not sure if that's true but it's believable. Kind of Blue was the first West Coast Jazz classic, meaning; in New York City the Jazz musicians were playing really fast and crazy. Kind of Blue was slower and more relaxing than traditional Bebop.

John Coltrane also played with Thelonious Monk, who is a famous Bebop pianist. They have an album called Live At The Five Spot that's worth checking out.

Basically the way Jazz worked back then, you get a job playing with somebody more famous, and then eventually you get your own deal. So John Coltrane played with Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk before he got his own record deal.

John Coltrane's original band was

John Coltrane - Saxaphone
McCoy Tyner - Piano
Jimmy Garrison - Bass
Elvin Jones - Drums

They probably have at least 10 studio albums with that line up. There's a few more John Coltrane albums with slight variations.

My favorite John Coltrane albums are My Favorite Things and A Love Supreme. My Favorite Things is considered Bebop and A Love Supreme is considered Free Jazz because it's more abstract. A Love Supreme is the type of album that you do some acid or mushrooms and trip. It's really a spiritual album which is weird because there's no lyrics. Branford Marsalis remade A Love Supreme in the 90s.

Here's my favorite John Coltrane albums

1. A Love Supreme

2. My Favorite Things

3. Blue Train - his only album on Blue Note. This album is pure Bebop. If you don't know what the word "Bebop" means, listen to this album. Also, it's his only album on Blue Note, which was the definitive Jazz label at the time. Blue Note in the 50s and 60s was like Def Jam in the 80s and 90s.

4. Giant Steps

5. Live At The Five Spot by Thelonious Monk feat John Coltrane on Saxophone and Art Blakey on drums (Art Blakey, along with Max Roach are the quintessential Bebop drummers)

6. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis feat John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley (Cannonball Adderley was a famous saxophonist. He has alot of albums in the 60s and 70s that are good for sampling).

7. Duke Ellington and John Coltrane

8. Transition (this album was released posthumously) It sounds like A Love Supreme.

9. Africa Brass

10. Afro Blue

John Coltrane has hundreds, if not thousands of recordings. Generally speaking, the stuff he did on Atlantic is easier to listen to. It's just straight old, regular Bebop. When he moved to Impulse! he started doing more abstract Jazz. His later albums are unlistenable imo. His later albums are what's called Free Jazz and the music doesn't have a beat or a melody. For an example of what I mean listen to the albums Kula Se Mama, Ascension, Om, and Expressions. I can't listen to those albums.

3. R-11786823-1522369444-4926.jpeg.jpg

No but his albums are incredible.

If you're into Jazz, or even if you've never really listened to Jazz, he has alot of albums that you can just zone out to.

I'm in a typing mood so I'll give a lil info on Trane.

So John Coltrane played the saxophone. He played in Miles Davis' band and is on a few of Miles Davis' albums. Most notably Kind of Blue, which is Miles Davis's Magnum Opus (along with Bitches Brew). For the record, Miles Davis played the trumpet, John Coltrane played the saxophone. It's been said that Kind of Blue is the biggest selling Jazz album of all time (not including people like Kenny G). I'm not sure if that's true but it's believable. Kind of Blue was the first West Coast Jazz classic, meaning; in New York City the Jazz musicians were playing really fast and crazy. Kind of Blue was slower and more relaxing than traditional Bebop.

John Coltrane also played with Thelonious Monk, who is a famous Bebop pianist. They have an album called Live At The Five Spot that's worth checking out.

Basically the way Jazz worked back then, you get a job playing with somebody more famous, and then eventually you get your own deal. So John Coltrane played with Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk before he got his own record deal.

John Coltrane's original band was

John Coltrane - Saxaphone
McCoy Tyner - Piano
Jimmy Garrison - Bass
Elvin Jones - Drums

They probably have at least 10 studio albums with that line up. There's a few more John Coltrane albums with slight variations.

My favorite John Coltrane albums are My Favorite Things and A Love Supreme. My Favorite Things is considered Bebop and A Love Supreme is considered Free Jazz because it's more abstract. A Love Supreme is the type of album that you do some acid or mushrooms and trip. It's really a spiritual album which is weird because there's no lyrics. Branford Marsalis remade A Love Supreme in the 90s.

Here's my favorite John Coltrane albums

1. A Love Supreme

2. My Favorite Things

3. Blue Train - his only album on Blue Note. This album is pure Bebop. If you don't know what the word "Bebop" means, listen to this album. Also, it's his only album on Blue Note, which was the definitive Jazz label at the time. Blue Note in the 50s and 60s was like Def Jam in the 80s and 90s.

4. Giant Steps

5. Live At The Five Spot by Thelonious Monk feat John Coltrane on Saxophone and Art Blakey on drums (Art Blakey, along with Max Roach are the quintessential Bebop drummers)

6. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis feat John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley (Cannonball Adderley was a famous saxophonist. He has alot of albums in the 60s and 70s that are good for sampling).

7. Duke Ellington and John Coltrane

8. Transition (this album was released posthumously) It sounds like A Love Supreme.

9. Africa Brass

10. Afro Blue

John Coltrane has hundreds, if not thousands of recordings. Generally speaking, the stuff he did on Atlantic is easier to listen to. It's just straight old, regular Bebop. When he moved to Impulse! he started doing more abstract Jazz. His later albums are unlistenable imo. His later albums are what's called Free Jazz and the music doesn't have a beat or a melody. For an example of what I mean listen to the albums Kula Se Mama, Ascension, Om, and Expressions. I can't listen to those albums.

3. View attachment 673209
Great post

Back