Welcome To aBlackWeb

Which Ruined NY Hip Hop More?

Which Ruined NY Hip Hop More?

• Total voters
NY radio stopped playing and supporting NY rappers>>

This n ny rappers making southern music. Which killed the popularity of the ny sound n made NY look like it was following trends instead of creating them. Honestly, 50 massive record sales hurt Nyc artists more than his beef w ja. Labels became overly concerned w record sales

I think the 50/Ja ruining NY hip hop debate is over exaggerated, both G Unit AND the Inc were still dropping big tunes during that era if I remember correctly and 50, an NY rapper, was prolly the top 3 of biggest stars in the world at the time dropping hit after hit...

Still I agree the beef did kinda hurt NY somewhat but just not as much as some make out, Jay, Nas and Fat Joe etc all still sold mad albums during and after that period had hits of their own...

What I think did the most damage was NY radio not playing enough NY music, catering to payola and pushing crunk music, I think that hurt it the most... Because then more NY rappers started sounding more Southern or rapping on Southern beats thinking that was the way to get radio play and cater to the listener...

I think what happened was that the NY rappers were more sophisticated. They understood the business more and commanded more money for shows, cameo appearances and album advances.

Not to stereotype all Southerners as being slow, but I think the industry CEOs and A&Rs choose to work with Southern rappers because they were easier to manipulate and, well, pimp.

I mean, if you owned a record label, would you promote somebody that owns their publishing, or would you promote somebody whose publishing you own? It all comes down to money and if you can make more money pimping a Southern rapper then that's what you're gonna hear.

I remember reading a 50 Cent interview where he said something to the effect of, "I bought Banks a million dollar house, I bought Yayo a million dollar house, and I bought Young Buck a house that looks like a million dollars, but the property value is different in The South, but it looks like a million dollar house".

My point is, if you can buy a Southern rapper a mansion for, say, $500,000 and the same house in the Tri State goes for $1,000,000 then you're gonna work with the Southern rapper because the cost of living is different.

I think what happened was that the NY rappers were more sophisticated. They understood the business more and commanded more money for shows, cameo appearances and album advances.

Not to stereotype all Southerners as being slow, but I think the industry CEOs and A&Rs choose to work with Southern rappers because they were easier to manipulate and, well, pimp.

I mean, if you owned a record label, would you promote somebody that owns their publishing, or would you promote somebody whose publishing you own? It all comes down to money and if you can make more money pimping a Southern rapper then that's what you're gonna hear.

I remember reading a 50 Cent interview where he said something to the effect of, "I bought Banks a million dollar house, I bought Yayo a million dollar house, and I bought Young Buck a house that looks like a million dollars, but the property value is different in The South, but it looks like a million dollar house".

My point is, if you can buy a Southern rapper a mansion for, say, $500,000 and the same house in the Tri State goes for $1,000,000 then you're gonna work with the Southern rapper because the cost of living is different.

I’m not even from the south & I thought that was outright wrong.

Word to Master P that showed all niggas how to get their money for their own music

Nyc Radio djs
Disposable southern music and acts and the consumers that flocked to it

Back