Where ABW Ranks Rappers

Goldie

and Baka's got a weird case, why is he around??
Site Owner
Jan 14, 2017
The Burbs
I'm gonna keep a record of where the majority of ABW ranks certain MCs.

I'll continue to bump the old ranking threads we did in 2017.

So far

Top 5
Pac
Jay
B.I.G
Nas

Top 10
Scarface
Ghostface
LL Cool J
Andre 3000
Kendrick
Rakim

Top 25
Common
T.I
Black Thought
Lupe
DMX
Big Pun
Cube
Snoop
Slick Rick
KRS
Lil Wayne
Budden
Em
Q-Tip
Lauryn Hill
Jada
Meth
Busta
BDK
Royce
Twista

Top 50
J.Cole
Redman
50 Cent
Kanye
Prodigy
Drake
KGR
Too Short
Krit
Ross
Styles
Game
Chuck D
Twista
Heavy D
Pusha​

Last edited:
I can already tell, there's gonna be 30 mfs in the top 10.

Niggas already fukn over Black Thought

giphy.gif

I’m gonna keep track of how many I have in which category and where I had them ranked...right now I got

(ABW rank). {My rank}
Ghostface (Top 10) {Top 10}
Redman (Top 50 smh) {Top 5}

I’ll update this as I vote

I got an idea for what we can do after we finish putting these mfs in their sections.

@Goldie

I've brought this topic up plenty of times and the response I get is basically that I'm old and I should get over it. So here goes;

From my observation, the average (mean) poster on ABW grew up in the 90s or 2000s. So the results of these polls are skewed.

When and if KRS, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Chuck D, Kool Moe Dee, Kool G Rap, Slick Rick and even Melle Mel and Grandmaster Caz get polled they probably won't crack anybody's top 50 because nobody in the younger generation remembers when they were hot.

I don't know how to do it, but I'd like to see a poll of people in their 40 somethings vote on MCs from the 80s, 90s, 2000s and 2010s. Pick 10 MCs from each decade, or something like that. There's a whole generation of people that remember Hip Hop in the 80s, but they don't post here.

@Goldie

I've brought this topic up plenty of times and the response I get is basically that I'm old and I should get over it. So here goes;

From my observation, the average (mean) poster on ABW grew up in the 90s or 2000s. So the results of these polls are skewed.

When and if KRS, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Chuck D, Kool Moe Dee, Kool G Rap, Slick Rick and even Melle Mel and Grandmaster Caz get polled they probably won't crack anybody's top 50 because nobody in the younger generation remembers when they were hot.

I don't know how to do it, but I'd like to see a poll of people in their 40 somethings vote on MCs from the 80s, 90s, 2000s and 2010s. Pick 10 MCs from each decade, or something like that. There's a whole generation of people that remember Hip Hop in the 80s, but they don't post here.

@Cain where do u rank the niggas he just named from the 80s?

Cain has Nas and Big as the 2 goats and he grew up in the 80s, so did @Omar Swanson .

I think you @5 Grand automatically thinks cuz a nigga grew up in the 80s all his favorite rappers are from the 80s.

Man ima go to my car and get my gun.

If Black Thought aint in the top 5 by the time I get back, im shooting everyone in here.

As an old head I disagree...

Top emcees should transcend time...

@Goldie has LL highly rated...

^^^^^^This......

As @Goldie has already slickly stated I’m old af too...not SUPER old but I’m old compared to a lot of people on this board lol...and I say it all tha time...just cuz you was 1st at doing summin don’t make you necessarily good/great at doin’ summin’...a lot of tha pioneers of hip-hop just don’t hold up well musically because hip-hop was so new and so fresh and so untampered wit that niggaz were bound to get better with time...Rakim is not that far removed time wise from other early MC’s but his music/lyrics/flow/cadence was light years ahead and showed niggaz what hip-hop could sound like...that’s why I always rank most of tha early pioneers lower in polls...not that I don’t respect what they did and how good tha music sounded at tha time...compared to what else was coming out...but as far as MC’s they not holding a candle to tha people that came out after them...starting round about Rakim-ish time lol

Cain has Nas and Big as the 2 goats and he grew up in the 80s, so did @Omar Swanson .

I think you @5 Grand automatically thinks cuz a nigga grew up in the 80s all his favorite rappers are from the 80s.

No, I don't think that if you grew up in the 80s your top 5 has to be all 80s MCs. But what I'm saying is I think cats that grew up in the 90s and 00s underestimate, or don't understand, the impact that Hip Hop had on my generation.

It wasn't the same in the 80s as the 90s. 80s was more underground.

People complain about how the radio stations play commercial rap. Back in the 80s there wasn't such thing as commercial rap (with a few exceptions)

Reactions: Goldie 🔫💰

Kane, KRS and Rakim are the only ones that matter on that list.

They're all in my top 10 and Rakim being top 5

80’s baby who has Nas, Jay, Biggie, Pun, Redman and Black Thought in his top 15...Rakim tha only “80’s” MC I got and he top 10 too