FEATURED What Makes An Artist Successful/Unsuccessful?

test

Goldie

and Baka's got a weird case, why is he around??
Site Owner
Jan 14, 2017
The Burbs
Drake's twitter finger rant about Budden being a failed rapper sparked the debate about what's considered a success and failure.

Is it solely about sales?

Does impact play a part?

Hits

How many songs can you play in a nightclub?

How many songs get played at a cookout

How many songs get played on the radio and music video channels.

I remember when Canibus, and later Papoose, was out. They were considered ill MCs and we argued about who was better between Jay Z and Canibus or Jay Z and Papoose, but at the end of the day, Jay Z had hits and Canibus and Papoose were just mixtape rappers.

Success is subjective and personal. Respect from your peers could be considered success, sales could be a sign of success though it could also be indicative of popularity. Impact and what you did for the game. Records set. Quotables. A bunch of ways to determine success.

Phonte said "do you really wanna win or just look good losing" or Big Pooh "so what it wasn't 20, but I still scored"

Very annoying and boring answer but it’s relative and subjective

I think the closest rigid answer I could give is not being able to rap and put out what you want and only being “relevant” for a handful of years

B.O.B comes to mind

Drake's twitter finger rant about Budden being a failed rapper sparked the debate about what's considered a success and failure.

Is it solely about sales?

Does impact play a part?
It’s a business the point of a business is to maximize profits

Long story short 90% of these niggas would cut off their pinky to have Drake s career

The wildest shit about Drake is he still hasn’t tapped into any other Avenues 15 years in and this is still all music money

The wildest shit about Drake is he still hasn’t tapped into any other Avenues 15 years in and this is still all music money
Idk what all he’s into but he had something to do with the URL and Caffeine deal.

I think he was streaming on Caffeine before that.

But I never heard of him like having a restaurant or anything.

He had that Adidas deal then the Nike deal.

He produces TV shows.Top boy and Euphoria

Well these answers are gunna vary depending on the people in it. And depending on who you're comparing, people will naturally move the goal posts. But the fact still remains , you are a successful artist, the second you can support yourself financially, just from making your art. Thats it. When you can do that, its already a W

Reactions: Focal Point
This shyt is really about how you judge success. Some base it off record sales, popularity and impact. Others base it off of earnings. We've seem those with platinum sales, popularity and impact cry broke and some independent dude moving 200k regionally at $10 feel like they're a huge success

Reactions: IP360
This shyt is really about how you judge success. Some base it off record sales, popularity and impact. Others base it off of earnings. We've seem those with platinum sales, popularity and impact cry broke and some independent dude moving 200k regionally at $10 feel like they're a huge success

This.

Everyone defines success differently. So there's no definitive answer.