Welcome To aBlackWeb

DEBATE Was MLK A Coon?

How and why did Jesse Jackson end up on Chicago morning TV
the day after the shooting

Let’s pod

Just real quick I’m just curious as I’ve heard that recently from various places…

Frequently Asked Questions About Martin Luther King Jr.​

What is Martin Luther King Jr. famous for?​

Martin Luther King Jr. is famous for his leadership during the civil rights movement of the 1960s. King's "I Have a Dream" speech is one of his most famous speeches and is often quoted today.

King led a nonviolent campaign for civil rights and racial justice throughout the United States. His nonviolent practices included marching, speaking, preaching, and writing. King was a Baptist minister, acclaimed theologian, and Nobel Peace Prize winner. In 1968, Dr. King was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee.

What life lessons can we learn from Martin Luther King Jr.?​

Martin Luther King Jr. continues to teach us lessons today, more than 50 years after his death. King taught that following nonviolent principles is the way to create meaningful change in the world. Eliminating violence, both internal and external, was an important practice for Dr. King.

From King, we can learn that standing up for what's right requires action. We cannot simply state our beliefs or desires and expect change to come automatically. King's writings and speeches teach us about the importance of fighting for a just and equitable society.

Why is it important to learn about MLK?​

Martin Luther King Jr. is an influential leader in American history. King led a nonviolent campaign for racial justice during the civil rights movement. His contributions to the movement and to American democracy make him a worthy and important figure to learn about.

MLK helped bring about the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Each of these bills helped African Americans access civil rights across the country. King's speeches and writings allow us to continue learning from his beliefs and practices today.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/the-impact-of-martin-luther-king-jr/#:~:text=MLK helped bring about the,civil rights across the country.

Just real quick I’m just curious as I’ve heard that recently from various places…
King's speech "Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break the Silence" is well known because of the debate it sparked. He gave the anti-Vietnam speech when the country still supported the war.

King received extreme backlash, especially for attempting to unite the peace movement with the Civil Rights Movement. The reverend's controversial views caused him to lose many supporters, including African American followers.

Many say this is the speech that made him a target, as he was assassinated exactly one year later.

"We are taking the black young men who had been crippled by our society and sending them 8,000 miles away to guarantee liberties in Southeast Asia which they had not found in Southwest Georgia and East Harlem," he said in the speech.

Back