Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Vince Staples - Dark Times

Added to Calendar: 05-24-24

Bout to give this a spin. I fucks with Vince.
I was just aight to me personally (i don't listen to hiphop like that anymore) but I see what he was trying to do and I respect it even tho I didn't keep too many songs. He grew up his sound a bit. If that's the route he wants to go he has to grow up the raps as well to meet the sound.

I love what he's doing as a whole and I hope he keeps going on all fronts.

Etouffee def the standout track

Im not lovin the entire project as much as yall but yea this track is the one

Alot of the other tracks i feel like his delivery kinda monotone

I like Radio & Little Homies but they not hittin like Etouffee

His Netflix show was great tho. Need a season 2
His tone is monotone purposely. It's a melancholy project

Elephant in the room

How many of y'all have actually eaten etoufee?🤔

We need a balanced platform with old and new niggas. Reddit too young and it's too old here. Niggas just wanna think about the time Mobb Deep dropped Quiet Storm lol.
While this is hilarious af, I still think that it says more about the state of music vs the consumer when people would rather listen to an older era than most of these dudes with tats in their faces using autotune rapping about shit I 1) can't understand and 2) can't relate

For every one Vince, there are 40 lil such and such

Foh

I got this album as an early AOTY contender…and I’m one of tha oldest niggaz here…I think it just boils down to niggaz gonna like what they like…

I will say that as an “old head”…A LOT of tha newer age shit that comes out or is “highlighted” here is pure trash…that Yachty crew is a prime example…I don’t understand tha hype on shit like that

While this is hilarious af, I still think that it says more about the state of music vs the consumer when people would rather listen to an older era than most of these dudes with tats in their faces using autotune rapping about shit I 1) can't understand and 2) can't relate

For every one Vince, there are 40 lil such and such

Foh

Well Hip Hop isn't for people in their 40s, it's for teens and young adults.

After a certain age, you are an outsider, looking into a youth culture from the standpoint of someone that can't recognize what the fuck is going on.

It's no different than being in rural Japan, upset there isn't an English menu.

Last edited:
I got this album as an early AOTY contender…and I’m one of tha oldest niggaz here…I think it just boils down to niggaz gonna like what they like…

I will say that as an “old head”…A LOT of tha newer age shit that comes out or is “highlighted” here is pure trash…that Yachty crew is a prime example…I don’t understand tha hype on shit like that
Aite I'll answer the whole Lil Yachty Concrete Boys thing. Them ZeZe generation youngins are suckers for aesthetics more than anything. Basically it's their new version of "swag" for the blog era niggas, and for the 90s folks tight/dope/phat etc.

With the Concrete Boys, them lil niggas not the best rappers, but they pay a ton of Homage to the 90s era while keeping their flow modern/monotone, and effortless (Karaboo is a big component of rap like she ain't trying).

For the new age of rappers, some "cool" aesthetic rappers feel being a try hard lyrical miracle rapper like a Lupe (Im a huge fan of btw) is a corny so they choose to rap like it's no effort. It's basically a updated version of mumble rap.

I just hated auto tune man lol I can work with some artists but when they start sounding like slurred robots shit annoyed me.

But anywho, here is Concrete Boys paying respect to the Master P/Beats by the Pound era. Shit fire to me. These lil niggas was riding on this one. And peep their fashion and director shots of the video. It's all to provide a player vibe without trying. DC2Trill has the most potential from the group IMO

While rap was branded as style, skill, and bars people gotta remember it's also branded as going against the grain or punk. Whenever rap becomes all about skill and bars, it's natural for the new generation to go against the grain and be anti old establishment or be lyrical in their own way with a monotone flow or whatever (Mike, Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt).

There is also rappers out right now still providing the foundational elements of what y'all remember as a dope MCs( Donte Hitchcock, JID, Marlon Craft, Saba, etc.)

Aite I'll answer the whole Lil Yachty Concrete Boys thing. Them ZeZe generation youngins are suckers for aesthetics more than anything. Basically it's their new version of "swag" for the blog era niggas, and for the 90s folks tight/dope/phat etc.

With the Concrete Boys, them lil niggas not the best rappers, but they pay a ton of Homage to the 90s era while keeping their flow modern/monotone, and effortless (Karaboo is a big component of rap like she ain't trying).

For the new age of rappers, some "cool" aesthetic rappers feel being a try hard lyrical miracle rapper like a Lupe (Im a huge fan of btw) is a corny so they choose to rap like it's no effort. It's basically a updated version of mumble rap.

I just hated auto tune man lol I can work with some artists but when they start sounding like slurred robots shit annoyed me.

But anywho, here is Concrete Boys paying respect to the Master P/Beats by the Pound era. Shit fire to me. These lil niggas was riding on this one. And peep their fashion and director shots of the video. It's all to provide a player vibe without trying. DC2Trill has the most potential from the group IMO

I got hype to hear some new kids paying homage to P and Beats by the pound. I think Beats by the Pound has a ton a great material to sample that goes unnoticed in a sea of uncreative new artist. I clicked play with an open mind.

I just think we as the hiphop collective need higher standards lol. Dude got potential and I'm not going to call him trash, but this is the bare minimum. And if DC2Trill is the best in his click, then that says a lot about the rest if them niggas smh...

Back