Welcome To aBlackWeb

Video: Four Mesa cops surround & beatdown an unarmed Black man for no reason...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/us/mesa-police-beating-black-man.html

Arizona Police Officers Are Put on Leave After Beating Unarmed Man on Video

Four police officers in Mesa, Ariz., have been placed on administrative leave after a surveillance video showed some of them repeatedly punching an unarmed black man and pushing him to the ground during an arrest.

The Mesa police chief, Ramon Batista, released the video to local media on Tuesday after a civilian alerted him to the footage from a building’s surveillance camera, recorded on May 23.

Also this week, police body-camera footage of another arrest of another unarmed black man in Mesa — this one took place in November — was released and posted on YouTube, prompting activists to call for an independent investigation into the Police Department.

Footage of last month’s arrest shows a man, Robert Johnson, 35, speaking on a cellphone on what looks like a balcony of an apartment building before officers emerged from an elevator shortly before midnight on May 23. They were apparently responding to a domestic disturbance call.

The officers then told Mr. Johnson, who was leaning against a railing, to sit down, Chief Batista said. The video, which did not have sound, showed officers struggling with him and trying to force him to sit. Then they punched, kicked and pushed him to the ground, where he was handcuffed.

Chief Batista told The Arizona Republic in a video interview that one of the officers gave “very calm direction” for Mr. Johnson to sit down. Other officers arrived, and Mr. Johnson was briefly searched for weapons, but none were found.

Mr. Johnson was then asked to move away from the railing and given an instruction, Chief Batista said, narrating the video. “When the person didn’t sit down, our officers then engaged in use of force to make him sit down,” he said.

“I don’t feel that our officers were at their best,” he said. “I don’t feel that this situation needed to go in the way that it went.”

He said the officers were taken off active service while the department investigates.

Mr. Johnson was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and hindering prosecution, according to jail records. He was released on his own recognizance on May 24 and is scheduled to be arraigned in Mesa Municipal Court on June 19, court and jail records show.

Messages and emails left at the Mesa Police Department on Wednesday were not answered. The officers involved were not identified.

Andre Miller, the pastor at New Beginnings Christian Church in Mesa, which Mr. Johnson attends, said in an interview on Wednesday that Mr. Johnson had gone to the apartment complex to help a friend retrieve belongings from a residence.

He said Mr. Johnson had seen a doctor for head and chest injuries after the episode. “This is a culture that we are trying to combat which is bigger than Mr. Johnson,” Mr. Miller said. “It is not a race issue but it is a policing culture.”

A lawyer for Mr. Johnson, Benjamin Taylor, said on Wednesday: “That was excessive force. To have all these officers attack him and punch him in the head was uncalled-for, and they should be prosecuted.”

After the video showing Mr. Johnson’s arrest was released, public comments flooded the department’s Facebook page, derailing its posts on subjects including the arrest of a homicide suspect and one featuring its crime prevention newsletter.

“When are you guys gonna clean house so citizens can feel safe?” one person wrote. “3 very public incidences of cops being violent offenders. Do something.”

At a news conference on Wednesday, activists also called attention to the November arrest of Terence Kirkpatrick, 30. Body camera footage of the episode shows officers forcibly removing Mr. Kirkpatrick from his home and pressing him against the side of a police vehicle and onto the ground.

Mr. Kirkpatrick said at the news conference that he had called the police about an intruder and then fell asleep on his couch while officers were still on the scene. Then, he said, “They just grabbed me from the couch while I was still lying down and instantly started yelling ’Stop resisting’ while they were punching my ribs.”

In the video, officers could be heard telling Mr. Kirkpatrick that he had two existing misdemeanor arrest warrants and that he was being additionally charged with four felonies: three for aggravated assault against police officers and one for resisting arrest with force. The Police Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment about the November encounter.

“You cannot have a safely functioning city when people of color do not trust the local law enforcement agency, and Mesa has failed too many times,” the Rev. Jarrett Maupin, a civil rights activist, said at the news conference on Wednesday, adding that the Police Department should be independently investigated.

The department’s use of force in other recent episodes has also been scrutinized. It came under fierce criticism after an officer shot and killed an unarmed man in a hotel in 2016 who was sobbing and pleading for his life. The officer was acquitted in December 2017 of murder and manslaughter charges.

In February this year, the family of an 84-year-old woman posted photographs of her bruises after an officer from the Mesa Police Department grabbed her and took her down, The Republic reported. The police had originally said the woman slipped.

I’m sure that coon cop who threw the most punches got more than one pat on the head.. By all the white boys back at the pig station.. I bet they also rewarded him w/ a butter biscuit,some watermelon and big piece chicken for acting like one of the “good ones”.. I wish nothing but the worse on that sellout ass negro...

Last edited:
so wait...what did he do to get jumped like that?

when they heard the elevator floor ding sound?

why sit on his neck after hes in cuffs?

why take him back to the floor...pulling his feet from under him?

but but......there has to be more to the story.

why hold him like a pretzel?

and why the fuck cover his face like that? to not show the wounds and swelling from the hits to the public?

these pigs really need to start being drug tested for steroids.

These cities also need to reevaluate their hiring / screening practices due to a lot of law enforcement officers are military vets that receive a monthly disability check from the Veterans Affairs for being diagnosed with PTSD while serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. These monthly checks that they can possibly get for the rest of their life are paid out with the following rating depending on the severeness of the PTSD diagnosis:
50% - $855
60% - $1083
70% - $1365
80% - $1587
90% - $1783
100% - $2973

Thats why the GOP / NRA / FOP always pushes back against mental health checks for having firearms for personal or work-related recommendations for anybody because a significant amount of police officers that get a monthly disability check for PTSD would have to:
-relinquish their PTSD rating / monthly disability check in order to keep their job
-resign
-get reassigned to another job

Black cop was on that BS

5E3d6f8.gif

http://ktar.com/story/2099914/mesa-police-chief-announces-two-investigations-promises-change/

Mesa police chief announces two investigations, promises change

PHOENIX — A suburban Phoenix police chief promised change Friday, announcing two independent investigations into his department, and said he was “deeply disappointed” by his officers’ actions in several highly publicized videos that appeared to show police brutality.

One of the investigations into the Mesa Police Department will be overseen by former Maricopa County Attorney Rick Romley, Chief Ramon Batista said in a press conference.

The Washington D.C.-based Police Executive Research Forum also was asked to investigate the department’s use of force over past three years as well as its policies, procedures and training.

“Simply put, these investigators will shine a glaring light on the areas where we have fallen short, and they will help us fix it,” Batista said.

Mesa police has been under fire this week for incidents of alleged brutality that have resulted in seven officers being placed on paid administrative leave.

Video of three incidents, all involving African-American suspects, became available this week.

“Let me be crystal clear,” said Batista, who didn’t take questions or provide further details about the cases. “I’m angry, and I’m deeply disappointed by what I saw in those videos. It’s unacceptable, and it needs to stop immediately.”

In response to the videos, Black Lives Matter Arizona held a protest Friday at the Mesa police headquarters.

Reading deliberately from a prepared statement, Batista committed himself to restoring the public’s trust.

“Preserving and protecting your safety, your trust and your faith is my highest priority,” he said. “From the bottom of my heart, I promise you we will fix this.”

Romley followed Batista to the microphone to explain why he got involved.

“I will be working to make sure that there is thoroughness, there’s objectivity into this review,” said Romley, who will report directly to Batista. “The chief is absolutely correct in that the public confidence must not be diminished in any way.”

Romley is best known as the county attorney who conducted the AzScam sting investigation that caught state lawmakers taking cash bribes on camera in the early 1990s.

Mesa Mayor John Giles applauded Batista’s “immediate and decisive action.”

“Nothing is more sacred than human rights,” Giles said in a statement. “I expect that the independent investigations launched today will result in better training and an understanding that every person our officers encounter is to be treated with respect.”

Before the afternoon news conference, Mesa police issued a statement from Batista that said, “We have lost our way.”

On Thursday, two unidentified officers were placed on leave following a review of body camera footage and an internal investigation of a May 17 incident that involved a 15-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl.

Five other officers — Jhonte Jones, Rudy Monarrez, Ernesto Calderon, Robert Gambee and William Abbiatti — already had been placed on leave for their actions during a May 23 arrest in which an unarmed man, 33-year-old Robert Johnson, was beaten. That video came to light earlier this week, when the first four suspensions were announced.

http://ktar.com/story/2107603/mesa-drops-charges-against-man-seen-beaten-in-arrest-video/

Mesa drops charges against man seen beaten in arrest video

PHOENIX — Charges were dismissed against a man whose arrest in Mesa last month set off a flurry of police brutality accusations in the Phoenix suburb.

The Mesa court granted the city prosecutor’s motion to dismiss the case against Robert Johnson on Wednesday.

Johnson’s lawyer hopes the city doesn’t stop there.

“We expect the officers involved in the beating of my client to face disciplinary action and termination within the Mesa Police Department,” Benjamin Taylor said in a statement issued Thursday.

The case was the first of four incidents that came to light this month in which Mesa police allegedly used excessive force.

Johnson, 33, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and hindering prosecution after police responded to a domestic disturbance call at an apartment complex.

Video of the May 23 incident came out last week and showed Johnson talking on his phone in a corridor while police told him to sit down. Several officers moved in on Johnson and started punching him repeatedly. It’s not clear what instigated the beating.

Five officers — Jhonte Jones, Rudy Monarrez, Ernesto Calderon, Robert Gambee and William Abbiatt — were placed on paid administrative leave after the video circulated.

“The prosecutor’s office must not be afraid to pursue criminal charges for the officers involved in the assault on Mr. Johnson,” Taylor said.

Within a week of that incident going public, three other videos documenting alleged police brutality in Mesa came out, two more officers were placed on leave, and the police chief announced two investigations into his department’s behavior.

Back