Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED DIDDYWATCH: Another round of lawsuits+grand jury

test

He did that or he ain’t did that?

• He did that shhhhh

• Nah he ain’t do that shh

• He did SOME of that shh

Results are only viewable after voting.
In 03 she was still reeling from the whole "she broke up Destiny's Child" stuff. People saying she was sabotaging Kelly Rowland to be the bigger solo act from the group etc. Yeah she had fans but she also had a lot of people who blamed her for the 1st 2 girls leaving Destiny's Child.
Must've been on the internet. Beyonce was the 2nd coming of Diana Ross in my environment. And yes, I remember Kelly breaking out first with that Nelly joint.

Yeah, them 70s/80s singers were built different. As someone that produced R&B vocals, I still think MJB has a great voice and could've still been a star without the other intangibles. To stay on topic, I think Puff actually underplayed her talents with his production. His shit is more for dancing and slow grind ballads... the production has to be more stripped down for the vocalist to shine. MJB was young when she got on, so I think studio habits stuck with her to the point she hit a ceiling vocally. That scratchy yelling shit she does was Puff not knowing how to teach her that control.

The song "Be Without You" is when I think Mary actually realized her voice. I remember first hearing that song and that long note at the end and thinking there's no way she hits that note 5 years before that.

The song "Be Without You" is when I think Mary actually realized her voice. I remember first hearing that song and that long note at the end and thinking there's no way she hits that note 5 years before that.
Also remember she was on drugs so I can imagine that having an effect on your voice at that age.

Sidebar: What's your take on Mariah? Great vocalist, but I hate that whisper singing shit she does.

Also remember she was on drugs so I can imagine that having an effect on your voice at that age.

Sidebar: What's your take on Mariah? Great vocalist, but I hate that whisper singing shit she does.

Mariah Carey? I think up until the E=MC2 album she has a case for top vocalist discography ever. She's also an underrated writer. The whisper thing she does isn't the same as let's say a Jhene Aiko because Mariah can also belt out those same notes in so many different octaves it's insane.

Must've been on the internet. Beyonce was the 2nd coming of Diana Ross in my environment. And yes, I remember Kelly breaking out first with that Nelly joint.

Nah it was in media too. Especially the shit with Kelly Rowland. It became a discussion on colorism and Beyonce being pushed more for being lighter. The quality of the music quieted alot of that noise but when Beyonce first went solo there were a lot of people hoping she flopped.

Lol idk about entire but Amerie did get caught up in the Beyonce/J Lo battle that labels had in the early 2000s thanks to Tommy Motolla trying to get back at Mariah Carey. Amerie's 1 Thing was supposed to be a J Lo song til her and Rich Harrison said fuck no and leaked it to radio. Which then led to Rich Harrison using that same gogo sound on Beyonce songs and people initially hating Beyonce for it saying she stole her style.
Most niggas know this foreal. It's just anti-beyonce propaganda they like to spread.

Back