Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Underrated, Overrated, Properly rated Series: The Departed

Rate it

• Total voters
AKA....”this just a personal favorite flick” lol

Nope. I explained acting made an already classic script remodeled off another film that was even better is what made it a classic but also attributed the fact it was a remake it isn't better than is what makes it overrated.

to me, overrated for a movie like this using RT as a metric, both the critics and viewers rated it super high

so is it overrated in that regard?

In terms of Belly, everybody keeps talking about how great a movie it is, but when you start hitting them with those questions...the answer is usually, "its a classic to me, i can watch it anytime its on" b/c they dont want you exposing the glaring flaws it has as a movie, and not some hood classic which is usually met with a buncha qualifiers.

I asked on my TL if people were ready to discuss how bad that movie was and was met by two people who said what I just typed. They couldnt explain why they liked it, but then went to the default, its opinions and you cant say whats right or wrong. Bullshit lol

in the case of Friday, RT might rate it in the 70, along with viewers, so I would consider that as underrated b/c it is just a good movie. Its not a hood movie, you dont need to put no disclaimer or anything. If I can suspend disbelief, it has a plausible plot, conflict and resolution.

I'm not understanding your method of rating tho.

Are you basing this off of RT or by the consensus in the black community?

Without looking I'm sure Belly's rating is trash on RT, so if we're using that then Belly shouldn't be overrated to you.

You asked for a million and one explanations for Belly that nobody considers a classic movie, but only a classic hood movie. But the movie that has nearly 100% rating you're chilling lol

I think black people view black art as less. Lets really talk about it.

Nope. I explained acting made an already classic script remodeled off another film that was even better is what made it a classic but also attributed the fact it was a remake it isn't better than is what makes it overrated.

I’ve seen a couple of y’all mention Internal Affairs I think it is....I need to check this out I guess

Without looking I'm sure Belly's rating is trash on RT, so if we're using that then Belly shouldn't be overrated to you.

You asked for a million and one explanations for Belly that nobody considers a classic movie, but only a classic hood movie. But the movie that has nearly 100% rating you're chilling lol

I haven't seen the departed lol

I started it.. I think I got a call and never went back to it.

I made this mainly for you because it felt you was ready for the smoke lol

I'll watch it after I drop the lil one off tomorrow

But RT is supposed to be one of the better online rating sites. It's one thing for critics to give a movie high praise as I think a lot of those reviews are bought. I mainly look at the comparison of critics to viewers. If it's heavily skewed like the critics rated it really low but the viewers rated it high, I tend to align with the viewers.

Using Friday as an example

Only 27 critics reviewed this on RT compared to over 200k viewers
Screenshot_20200627-111515.png

Look at what the critics said in the blurb about the direction. I don't believe that's applied across the board. The movie was shot in like 2 weeks set in one day. What epic camera work, set pieces etc gonna do for this movie?

Tl;Dr, Belly, in the black community is vastly overrated. It's story isn't original, hell, it's just not good but people keep talking about the cinematography. A movie has to be more than that

Wait, so this series is based on RT scores?
No, it's just a baseline to generate discussion

There are always going to be personal favorites that we like individually that might not be liked by everyone else

But there has to be a baseline for the discussion to even begin.

No, it's just a baseline to generate discussion

There are always going to be personal favorites that we like individually that might not be liked by everyone else

But there has to be a baseline for the discussion to even begin.

If RT scores are the "baseline", then the answer to my question is yes.

Name a better Irish mob film?

You cant.

And Jack played Jack as he always do. If u hate on his performance here but enjoyed him as Joker in Batman i dont see the difference.

And there was a comedic undertone to the whole movie. That was part of its charm.

Name a better Irish mob film?

You cant.

And Jack played Jack as he always do. If u hate on his performance here but enjoyed him as Joker in Batman i dont see the difference.

And there was a comedic undertone to the whole movie. That was part of its charm.

What kind of bullshit reasoning is this?

"Name a better barbershop film!!!" , Exactly, Barbershop's a classic head ass.

Ok

So the second part of the discussion is why do you think it's properly rated

Not sure what happened

This was for @Mister

So, to be clear, our answers should be based on the RT score going forward?

If so, what if the two scores are far apart like Friday? Do we answer using the critics score or the audience score?

Idk what to tell yall

I disagree w basically all your critiques of the film

It was rewatchable
Had memorable characters/performances
Quotables
Classic scenes

Only thing i agree with is that the soundtrack was ass. Prolly scorceses worst.

So, to be clear, our answers should be based on the RT score going forward?

If so, what if the two scores are far apart like Friday? Do we answer using the critics score or the audience score?
good question

I think for black movies since critics appear to grade them differently, I think using the audience rating should be the baseline

I missed this but

LET'S FUCKING TALK ABOUT IT!

Nigga's called Belly 'unoriginal' but here we heralding this whole ass remake as classic or more than Belly. How the fuck does that work exactly?

Let's call a spade a spade. Niggas are conditioned and biased af when it comes to US

Back