Welcome To aBlackWeb

U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

ElijahPrice

Story Highlights
  • In 2020, 47% of U.S. adults belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque
  • Down more than 20 points from turn of the century
  • Change primarily due to rise in Americans with no religious preference

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans' membership in houses of worship continued to decline last year, dropping below 50% for the first time in Gallup's eight-decade trend. In 2020, 47% of Americans said they belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque, down from 50% in 2018 and 70% in 1999.

The decline in church membership is primarily a function of the increasing number of Americans who express no religious preference. Over the past two decades, the percentage of Americans who do not identify with any religion has grown from 8% in 1998-2000 to 13% in 2008-2010 and 21% over the past three years.

As would be expected, Americans without a religious preference are highly unlikely to belong to a church, synagogue or mosque, although a small proportion -- 4% in the 2018-2020 data -- say they do. That figure is down from 10% between 1998 and 2000.

Given the nearly perfect alignment between not having a religious preference and not belonging to a church, the 13-percentage-point increase in no religious affiliation since 1998-2000 appears to account for more than half of the 20-point decline in church membership over the same time.

Most of the rest of the drop can be attributed to a decline in formal church membership among Americans who do have a religious preference. Between 1998 and 2000, an average of 73% of religious Americans belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque. Over the past three years, the average has fallen to 60%.

I think a lot of people stopped going to church when COVID hit and found better pastors or perspectives online and just never went back.

Me and the Mrs. started listening to a lot of different pastors and started actually talking about faith, religion, etc. more than we ever had before. At least more candidly than we had before. We started questioning a lot and it actually made our faith stronger.

I think a lot of people stopped going to church when COVID hit and found better pastors or perspectives online and just never went back.

Me and the Mrs. started listening to a lot of different pastors and started actually talking about faith, religion, etc. more than we ever had before. At least more candidly than we had before. We started questioning a lot and it actually made our faith stronger.

Stuntin that he and the misses is "EQUALLY YOKED"

LLS good for yall though on some real shit

I think it would be arrogant as hell for me to think I can actually determine if there’s a higher power, but people’s reasons for believing always fascinated me. It reveals a lot about how our brains work.

I think it would be arrogant as hell for me to think I can actually determine if there’s a higher power, but people’s reasons for believing always fascinated me. It reveals a lot about how our brains work.

nah

I think the arrogance comes in thinkin out of the hundreds of billions of galaxies w/ trillions (if not more) of planets, we're the only ones god/the higher power cares about

like, fuck dem other planets

giphy.gif

Back