Welcome To aBlackWeb

Tubman May Not Replace Jackson On The $20 Bill

Harriet freed ppl who were literally capital aka money .

Putting her on the 20 dollar bill is not honoring her AT ALL. If you think it is then you grossly misunderstanding what slavery was. Black=Chattel=Property=$

Ppl are so desperate for representation/petty revenge on open racists that they'll dishonor our ancestors by cosigning this $20 bill shit. Nah.

AGAIN the failure of Black Liberalism/Capitalism. Y'all wanna play Monopoly against white supremacy where you're the damn money n property.

This all shows the limits of symbolism. It don't change the system. Whether Jackson or Tubman, anti-blackness n settler colonialism is preserved.

so where does that put us with money in general?

should no faces be on money at all?

should it just be legal tender and drop all significance of being anything more?

i mean i could easily argue that money disgraces God by putting "in god we trust" on all of it

so where does that put us with money in general?

should no faces be on money at all?

should it just be legal tender and drop all significance of being anything more?

i mean i could easily argue that money disgraces God by putting "in god we trust" on all of it

White folks should be the only faces on money.

ONCE AGAIN, Her legacy is rooted in resisting the foundation of American capitalism. Tubman didn’t respect America’s economic system, so making her a symbol of it would be insulting.

Yea, I see what you mean with Tubman, she might not be the best to be put on a bill, but idk if it'll be a bad thing if another black was on it. Currency has been around for ages, it's not really an american thing.

The descendants of the settlers who got rich enslaving us would be withdrawing Tubman 20s vs Jackson 20s

And that's progress to y'all? GTFOH

The banks who funded colonial genocide and held slaves as equity will now be stocking Tubman 20s in their vaults n registers.lmao

When your kid gets arrested for a non-violent offense, you'll be withdrawing Tubman 20s to pay their bail...if they survived the trip to jail

The check cashing place in the hood that exploits your poverty n isolation will be asking for Tubman 20s to cash your check n tax returns lmaoooo

You'll go to the corner store and pay for processed food that'll kill you with Tubman 20s lmaoooo

I hope every time you spend a Tubman 20 you are reminded that like her on that bill, Black ppl are still a resource to be used by whiteness.

The only freedom settler capitalism gives us is the ability to be a better resource, property, currency. A Boardwalk vs Mediterranean Avenue

Go straight to jail. Don't collect $200

Yea, I see what you mean with Tubman, she might not be the best to be put on a bill, but idk if it'll be a bad thing if another black was on it. Currency has been around for ages, it's not really an american thing.

you don't view money as an instrument of oppression.

I guess that's the issue here.

American capitalism historically has been used to oppress and disenfranchise women and people of color.

America’s currency is viewed as a place to honor people of historic political influence. To suggest that black people are part of that club by putting Tubman’s face (or any other Black
Persons face) on the $20 simply would cover up our nation’s reality of historic and lingering disenfranchisement.

That's what I'm driving at.

Our Black asses don't need to be the face of capital because quite frankly WE ARE STILL CAPITAL/PROPERTY in this country.

We also should never be the face of imperialism (why I never wanted a Black president), capitalism, or any other structures of hegemony because we didn't design these systems.

Not to mention these systems are violent, oppressive and murderous Af

Race is waxing poetic right now, money is money, we don't live in a communist paradise, we have to use it to get what we need.

giphy.gif

Honestly i can see why a young country would need historic figures on their currency. But the US probably wont even use paper money in 20 years. We will probably have cards only.

my whole thing is that, we shouldn't be honoring them fuckers either....

everybody ain't as schooled or enlightened as you race...

many of us look at it like fuck your president's, honor our people...this country was built on our backs...why not?

but you raise great points....

however.......i still feel like fuck their presidents, fuck ben franklin, fuck abe lincoln, fuck all of them

however, i don't wanna be ignorant to the game and disrespect our ancestors either......
so we gotta have a middle ground.....

if we tearing down statues i don't wanna see them folk on my money either

that's easy to say when you have money lol
Them's just the facts, rich or poor, the current economic system we live in is driven by commerce and it requires money to engage in. Is it perfect? No, could it better? Yes, but reality is reality.

I see no problem with tubman on the cover, if we as a people are to be heard, seen, and respected in this current system, then we must seek to make ourselves economically powerful. Sad as it is to say, but the majority does not respect poor people, black people on avg tend to be poor. It's an unfortunate truth, but a truth all the same.

The whole western hemisphere is a get rich quick scheme. I get that its how it is people gotta manage. But i completely understand why somebody wouldnt be with this.

This symbolism does not do as much as we think or want it to do. Obama was presidemt and white folks still doing shit.

Back