Welcome To aBlackWeb

Trump Admin Now Reportedly Deploying Federal Agents In Chicago

As concerns flare over federal law enforcement agents’ actions in Portland in recent days, the feds are reportedly planning to deploy new federal force — this time in Chicago.

The Chicago Tribune broke the news Monday that 150 ICE agents were expected to “assist other federal law enforcement and Chicago police in crime-fighting efforts,” in the newspaper’s words.

The agents will come from Homeland Security Investigations, ICE’s investigations arm, the paper said. Other HSI agents are currently policing protesters in Portland alongside the Federal Protective Service, tactical Customs and Border Protection agents, and others.

CBS News and The New York Times subsequently confirmed the Tribune’s scoop later on Monday.

The reports don’t offer much detail on the nature of the HSI agents’ movement, and ICE did not respond to TPM’s request for comment. Chicago has experienced a spike in gun violence over the past month, and demonstrators and police officers clashed at protest Friday against a statue of Christopher Columbus in the city.

But Trump long ago made Chicago — and particularly, street crime in the city — a political focus of his. Just a few months into his presidency, he tweeted about sending federal “help” to the city.

And at a White House event last week, the President mused, “Can you imagine if the country was run like Chicago and like New York and like some of these other Democrat super radical left cities are run? You wouldn’t have a country for very long.”

During a press conference Thursday, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot was a “derelict mayor” who should ask for federal assistance. McEnany described a letter from Trump to Lightfoot ordering the mayor to “secure your city.”

Lightfoot later called the letter “a litany of nonsense written by some political flak.” And in a press conference Monday, the mayor added, “We don’t need federal agents without any insignia taking people off the streets and holding them, I think, unlawfully.”

The reports Monday follow a request from Chicago’s top police union official to Trump. In a letter he shared on Facebook, local Fraternal Order of Police President John Catanzara “formally” asked for the federal government’s help.

“Mayor Lightfoot has proved to be a complete failure who is either unwilling or unable to maintain law and order here,” Catanzara wrote.

Also on Monday, Trump said he was considering expanding the federal law enforcement footprint to cities beyond Portland.

“We’re not going to let New York, and Chicago, and Philadelphia and Detroit and Baltimore — and Oakland is a mess,” he said. “We’re not going to let this happen in our country. All run by liberal Democrats.”

“More federal law enforcement to some of these cities?” a reporter asked.

“We’re going to have more federal law enforcement, that I can tell you,” Trump responded. “In Portland, they’ve done a fantastic job.”

Elected officials across Oregon and much of the rest of the country have slammed the administration for the actions of federal law enforcement in Portland in recent days, and questioned their legality.

Under the supposed authority of a presidential executive order last month aimed at “Protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues and Combating Recent Criminal Violence,” federal law enforcement officers from several agencies have descended on the city, filling the streets with tear gas and at times detaining protesters in unmarked vehicles.

83B0E35E-F59D-45C4-9970-0E96F08EC2DD.gif

A few of those so called federal agents are going to be killed. They're going to have officers not in uniform running up on people trying to throw them in vans and shit. It's basically going to be white people kidnapping black people and its going to be quite a few people who going to shoot at those federal agents cause they don't know who the fuck they are. Once that happens the real plans they have are going to be unveiled.

I remember when the national guard was set up in my neighborhood as a kid in DC way back in the day. They didn't do shit but they were there posted up like they could strike at anytime if given the order to do so.

A few of those so called federal agents are going to be killed. They're going to have officers not in uniform running up on people trying to throw them in vans and shit. It's basically going to be white people kidnapping black people and its going to be quite a few people who going to shoot at those federal agents cause they don't know who the fuck they are. Once that happens the real plans they have are going to be unveiled.

I remember when the national guard was set up in my neighborhood as a kid in DC way back in the day. They didn't do shit but they were there posted up like they could strike at anytime if given the order to do so.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out in court. Since we clearly see that those cops don't identify themselves and aren't wearing uniforms that clearly identify their agencies, a person could reasonably argue they didn't know who the people were.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out in court. Since we clearly see that those cops don't identify themselves and aren't wearing uniforms that clearly identify their agencies, a person could reasonably argue they didn't know who the people were.

That's my point. Most people with a gun ain't letting some unidentified people run down on them with a big ass van door wide open and the engine running and they have a gun on them. Shots going to be fired.

Thing is Trump and these people know this and there is a bigger plan behind this that they want implemented.

That's my point. Most people with a gun ain't letting some unidentified people run down on them with a big ass van door wide open and the engine running and they have a gun on them. Shots going to be fired.

Thing is Trump and these people know this and there is a bigger plan behind this that they want implemented.

Yeah, even in Portland, those agents were basically picking up people that weren't doing much. I forgot who it was, but someone official basically asked why those agents were walking past people with bats to apprehend people that were just standing around.

Yeah, even in Portland, those agents were basically picking up people that weren't doing much. I forgot who it was, but someone official basically asked why those agents were walking past people with bats to apprehend people that were just standing around.

Shit like that just don't add up to only being about so called "law & order"

Shit like that just don't add up to only being about so called "law & order"

It ain't. If you've heard Trump speak about it recently, it's clearly deflection. He's taking a lot of heat for his COVID response, so he's trying to change the narrative to him being a crime fighter and bringing safety and order back to the nation. It's all bullshit because the agents have basically increased the chaos in Portland and will likely cause problems in all these other cities too.

Shit could get real bad too. You and I are talking about the agents running up on normal citizens, but some of the local cops have already pushed back against the possibility of those agents coming to their cities. We could actually see clashes between local cops and Fed agents.

This is all so dumb. Cuz as we all kno, Portland and Chicago are two very different situations.

Portland imo is more clear and defined. As where you have people gathered in one area protesting police brutality and a overall unjust system. Troops can go in that area round them up and arrest them. Then trump can claim law & order. And that looks "good" on tv and is easy to sell.

But in Chicago its random street violence and shootings. What are the troops supposed to do, walk the streets and wait for a shooting. Or when there is a shooting the troops go w the police to respond to the shooting. I guess trump jus wants to get troops on the streets of Chicago so he can say he "sent in the troops and fixed the problem"

But its all bs, cuz he is attempting to appear to fix real problems with political theater. But then again trump doesnt care, he will do n say anything to win reelection.

It ain't. If you've heard Trump speak about it recently, it's clearly deflection. He's taking a lot of heat for his COVID response, so he's trying to change the narrative to him being a crime fighter and bringing safety and order back to the nation. It's all bullshit because the agents have basically increased the chaos in Portland and will likely cause problems in all these other cities too.

Shit could get real bad too. You and I are talking about the agents running up on normal citizens, but some of the local cops have already pushed back against the possibility of those agents coming to their cities. We could actually see clashes between local cops and Fed agents.

Damn I didn't think about that.

So these unidentified fed agents could try that shit with some undercover cops. With the climate we're in that is going to be an explosive situation

Back