Welcome To aBlackWeb

True or False: Did 50 Cent Kill New York Hip Hop?

True or False: Did 50 Cent Kill New York Hip Hop?

• True

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • False

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters
I just wish 50 had caught fire when he first came out in like 98. I think doing so in the 2000's he was almost a shark in a pool of fish.

He was considering Jay and Nas his peers and completely disruppted Ja's whole run.

Shit was like a 25 year old playing highschool ball.

Carving up fat Joe like it was nothing.

I mean 50 definitely made shit interesting, but to completely take over New York so fast and effectively then take your talents to the West coast wasn't the best look.

Did it kill ny? Naw. But he definitely changed the climate

Yes for Traditional New York City Hip-Hop from 1973-2006 ....But No Today NYC Hip-Hop from 2007 and currently...NYC Hip-Hop just Self Destruct in 2006...Today NYC Hip-Hop is rebuilding

50 was the last major NY artist before the industry got impacted by social media and you tube videos.

It was just timing. In 2006, 2007, 2008 rappers were just figuring out that they could build a following without hitting the streets at all....

That changed the entire game.

50 was just the last nigga who grinded through pumping his own mixtapes in the streets

Nah there's many reasons, i wouldn't even put 50 in the top 5 of reasons.

The sound and production changed and there were no dope NY producers who could match it. On top of that, what dope MC/artist has come out of NY since 2005?
There was also politics, NY rappers didn’t want to sound like the south, it’s just that the record companies, and the radio started pushing the southern sound.

There was also politics, NY rappers didn’t want to sound like the south, it’s just that the record companies, and the radio started pushing the southern sound.

That's definitely at the top of the list. Radio and rec execs only playing and pushing artists who sound like the hot thing, to the point we have a thousand future and migos impersonators on the radio.

But I still feel if the NY producers were able to create a dope sound of their own, it would've took off. The last NY sound I remember was that ron bronz shit and that shit was trash.

That's definitely at the top of the list. Radio and rec execs only playing and pushing artists who sound like the hot thing, to the point we have a thousand future and migos impersonators on the radio.

But I still feel if the NY producers were able to create a dope sound of their own, it would've took off. The last NY sound I remember was that ron bronz shit and that shit was trash.
I don’t think it would’ve mattered unfortunately. A few years ago when NY radio failed to back the Beast Coast Movement I knew then that there was nothing NY could do unless they sounded like a southerner AND was backed by the south. Smh.

50 didn't kill NY hip-hop, 50 brought forth the focus of numbers. Outside of a few acts NY rappers never really did numbers but no one cared. When 50 equated status with numbers, NY didn't look good in the light.

NY hip-hop is/was what's it's always been, about cult followings and skilled hip-hop. With one or two guys actually doing superstar numbers. Only thing that changed is the radio don't support local artist, and that's more on Hot and Power..

So when guys used to have a cult following and Hot and Power would introduce them to the world. They are now doing that for folks outside of their region. And the guys they do choose to do it for, aint the guys.

Young Ma, Dave East, ...and others are aight. But they don't got superstar music

I don’t think it would’ve mattered unfortunately. A few years ago when NY radio failed to back the Beast Coast Movement I knew then that there was nothing NY could do unless they sounded like a southerner AND was backed by the south. Smh.

What beast coast movement? What was the sound?

I think people underestimate how powerful the producers are how much they're responsible for the sound of music. Lil Jon aint a rapper, but his sound of music dominated, the snap music shit was a sound, the ron browz bullshit was a sound, lex luger had a sound , metro etc.

Rocky was able to create his own sound with the producers he was workin with, same with wiz, etc. NY hasn't had their own sound in over a decade.

What beast coast movement? What was the sound?

I think people underestimate how powerful the producers are how much they're responsible for the sound of music. Lil Jon aint a rapper, but his sound of music dominated, the snap music shit was a sound, the ron browz bullshit was a sound, lex luger had a sound , metro etc.

Rocky was able to create his own sound with the producers he was workin with, same with wiz, etc. NY hasn't had their own sound in over a decade.
The Beast Coast Movement was/is Pro Era, Flatbush Zombies, and The Underachievers. NY could’ve created a new sound in 2005, and they still would’ve pushed the south. And Rocky sounds like a southern nigga.

The Beast Coast Movement was/is Pro Era, Flatbush Zombies, and The Underachievers. NY could’ve created a new sound in 2005, and they still would’ve pushed the south. And Rocky sounds like a southern nigga.

Rocky had his own sound tho. It was a mixture of bone and southern shit.

Joey can spit, but is he really making music that can be played on the radio? Hell no. Idc how ill the MC is, if the production is trash, it's wack, word to Nas' last album.

NY's lack of creative producers is in the top 3 reasons NY fell off imo.

Rocky had his own sound tho. It was a mixture of bone and southern shit.

Joey can spit, but is he really making music that can be played on the radio? Hell no. Idc how ill the MC is, if the production is trash, it's wack, word to Nas' last album.

NY's lack of creative producers is in the top 3 reasons NY fell off imo.
That’s my point Rocky may have had dope production but you can’t say his sound is NY.

As for Joey we don’t know unless he gets a push, a decade ago we were force fed bullshit like Party Like a Rockstar regardless of whether we were checking for it or not, they literally said this is what we think y’all should listen to so here it is. Joey been grinding and been putting in work and he deserves the backing of the radio station in his supposed city. Do you think if this was Atlanta and someone had a similar buzz in that city built up organically that the radio there wouldn’t push him?

Back