Welcome To aBlackWeb

Track & Field

This meet right here meant a lot to me. I really, really wanted the title in 2016 but I was young and just trying to navigate my way,” Cunningham explained. "So, it really means a lot to me to come here today and get that title.”
Cunningham’s family was at Hayward Field to witness her win the crown. She is coached by her father, former NFL star quarterback Randall Cunningham.
Moments after the event she opened up about winning in front of her coach and father on Father’s Day.

“The feeling is just amazing. I was looking at pictures of us over the years. I sent them to him, and I was like ‘Happy Father’s Day.’ I know that making him happy, makes me feel so good. I was blessed to have my family here and my dad,” Cunningham said. “I’m happy it was on Father’s Day.”
A little over a month from now, Cunningham will try to capture her first Olympic medal. She placed 13th at the 2016 Olympics. She’s confident things will be much different this time around.
Cunningham’s 6 feet, 7½ inches clearance in May is the No.1 mark in the world this year. She didn’t exceed her personal best on Sunday night, but she is in prime position to earn a spot on the podium in Tokyo.
“I do plan on peaking at the Olympics. I’m just waiting on God’s timing,” Cunningham said.

Back