This Is Insane

He ain't gettin no Pulitzers, that's for damn sure. He'll never be viewed in the same regard as a Kendrick or a Cole. He still ain't put out a classic body of work either. As you said, how hard is it to put out these numbers when your competition is damn near non-existent? I'm a fan of some of Drake's music, but his intended audience is new niggas and women.

He's always gonna do his numbers, and that's cool, but let's not act like his artistry is something to fawn over because it most certainly isn't.
The man is a skillful spitter. Always have been.

If you doubt me, listen to ‘Nonstop’. He goes bezerk on that track.

Regarding classics, I truly believe that NWTS is his classic. That album can be played front to back without a skip.

I like Kendrick and Cole also, but Drake would still put up solid numbers if he dropped on the same day as them.

What some of you purists (always respected you Like Water) fail to realize is that Drake’s audience is more than women and new niggas.....The hood fucks with Drake heavy. From the OGs that still bump CMW and Geto Boys....to the young savages that bump King Louie and G Herbo.

Reactions: SeaSnake
The man is a skillful spitter. Always have been.

If you doubt me, listen to ‘Nonstop’. He goes bezerk on that track.

Regarding classics, I truly believe that NWTS is his classic. That album can be played front to back without a skip.

I like Kendrick and Cole also, but Drake would still put up solid numbers if he dropped on the same day as them.

What some of you purists (always respected you Like Water) fail to realize is that Drake’s audience is more than women and new niggas.....The hood fucks with Drake heavy. From the OGs that still bump CMW and Geto Boys....to the young savages that bump King Louie and G Herbo.

I fuck wit Nonstop. I wouldn't classify it as "going beserk", however. He had a good flow and that made the track dope. "Going beserk" to me is Black Thought at Hot 97, Kendrick on Cartoons & Cereal, Lupe on SLR.

And niggas are gonna fuck wit what women fuck wit, for the most part. As I said, I like some of Drake's stuff. But the fact that I've never been inclined to BUY any of his albums speaks volumes TO ME.

That's not the end all be all, I know, but his content is just so... predictable. Hence, the Drake Bingo board meme that came out before his album. Drake is gonna give you Drake. You ALWAYS know what you're getting with him. As an artist of his caliber, that's not necessarily a good thing.

He's consistent in his "safe" and his fans are consistent in their content for his "safe" and predictable subject matter.

*shrugs* It is what it is.

I fuck wit Nonstop. I wouldn't classify it as "going beserk", however. He had a good flow and that made the track dope. "Going beserk" to me is Black Thought at Hot 97, Kendrick on Cartoons & Cereal, Lupe on SLR.

And niggas are gonna fuck wit what women fuck wit, for the most part. As I said, I like some of Drake's stuff. But the fact that I've never been inclined to BUY any of his albums speaks volumes TO ME.

That's not the end all be all, I know, but his content is just so... predictable. Hence, the Drake Bingo board meme that came out before his album. Drake is gonna give you Drake. You ALWAYS know what you're getting with him. As an artist of his caliber, that's not necessarily a good thing.

He's consistent in his "safe" and his fans are consistent in their content for his "safe" and predictable subject matter.

*shrugs* It is what it is.
Fair post bro....:uk:

In regards to ‘Nonstop’, a few gems from that song..

“I just took it left like I'm ambidex
I move through London with the Euro step
Got a sneaker deal and I ain't break a sweat“

“They’ll be mournin' you like 8AM”

“Either hand is the upper hand”

“Bills so big I call 'em William“

“Like I went blind, you gotta hand it to me”

:niggaa:

Kanye is rapping about losing his sanity and you're impressed with the same braggery Drake's already been doing for years

Those bars are uber pedestrian and you did nothing for your argument by highlighting them to make a case for lyricism. His flow was what made that song cool, as I've already said.

Look, if you wanna lower the bar on lyricism so that makes his stuff more enjoyable, then you're entitled to that. But don't make a claim of greatness and not expect to encounter some sort of pushback.

Drake is good at doing Drake, and I'm cool with that. And that's because I don't expect too much from him. His numbers may put him in the Pantheon FOR YOU, but his content and lyricism aren't even in the same stratosphere as those that have rightfully earned their place.

And that's not hyperbole. That's what it is. Period.

Those bars are uber pedestrian and you did nothing for your argument by highlighting them to make a case for lyricism. His flow was what made that song cool, as I've already said.

Look, if you wanna lower the bar on lyricism so that makes his stuff more enjoyable, then you're entitled to that. But don't make a claim of greatness and not expect to encounter some sort of pushback.

Drake is good at doing Drake, and I'm cool with that. And that's because I don't expect too much from him. His numbers may put him in the Pantheon FOR YOU, but his content and lyricism aren't even in the same stratosphere as those that have rightfully earned their place.

And that's not hyperbole. That's what it is. Period.
That’s your opinion and it’s a fair opinion for you to have :uk: .

I, on the other hand, tend to grade a rapper’s lyrical ability on how they put words/analogies/metaphors together more than the actual content of those words/analogies/metaphors.

Just because Ice Cube and Scarface aren’t combing through encyclopedias like Nas and Kendrick, that doesn’t take away from their lyrical ability. ‘Only Out For One Thing’ and ‘Gangster Of Love’ are packed with elementary words/analogies/wordplay, yet they’re classic songs that would have the bbq lit the moment they came on.

Everyone here agrees that Face and Cube are lyricist, yet some here would say Drake isn’t based partially on an argument that his content is lacking.

Some of you will never give Drake equal judgement because of your biases towards him. That’s just the truth.

YO these bars are terrible LoooooooooooooooooL

That’s your opinion and it’s a fair opinion for you to have :uk: .

I, on the other hand, tend to grade a rapper’s lyrical ability on how they put words/analogies/metaphors together more than the actual content of those words/analogies/metaphors.

Just because Ice Cube and Scarface aren’t combing through encyclopedias like Nas and Kendrick, that doesn’t take away from their lyrical ability. ‘Only Out For One Thing’ and ‘Gangster Of Love’ are packed with elementary words/analogies/wordplay, yet they’re classic songs that would have the bbq lit the moment they came on.

Everyone here agrees that Face and Cube are lyricist, yet some here would say Drake isn’t based partially on an argument that his content is lacking.

Some of you will never give Drake equal judgement because of your biases towards him. That’s just the truth.

I never said anything about Cube and Face and both are in my personal top 10. You have no argument. Drake is mediocre. It has nothing to do with a "bias" and everything to do with the truth.

Based on the standards that have been set by those that came before him, he doesn't measure up in any other category other than sales. Not content, not flow, not lyrics. Nothing about him stands out other than him taking Phonte's style and doing a worse impression of it. He's good at making music for the moment.

Take from that what you will.

ABW hates drake but in reality dude is the hottest artist out and In my feelings dumb ass challenge is running the world right now.

My only problem with all of this is he getting compared to the greats when this new streaming rule is inflating everyone stats.

Reactions: Sion
that’s a good look for him
i still found that album to be incredibly boring though

i only listen to drake when my nephew is around to hear him sing all the songs.. i wanna see if he can do the drake dance challenge..

Will smith killed that shit though