Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION The Wire - A Hindsight Discussion

I don't disagree with this, but do you really think Mouzone wouldn't have gotten the info out of Avon one way or the other?

No, because if Mouzone wanted to go that route..........he wouldn't have even given him the courtesy of a conversation.

Not really his style.

If that was his intent, he would've ambushed him some kind of way and put a gun to his head.

Mouzone was just letting Avon know about what his boy Stringer was doing behind his back......and that it was time for Stringer to face the consequences of his actions.

It was really a sign of respect more than anything.

Because, like someone said earlier..........he knew how important Avon's reputation was to him, so he gave him the opportunity to give up Stringer and maintain his rep with New York.

well season 6 was gonna deal with the influx of hispanics in BMore and the DMV area

that was what the next one was going to be about

Not exactly.

Both of you are right.......but you're both wrong too.

Season 5 was supposed to be about the rise of the hispanic population.

They tried to set it up in Season 4 with the latino crew that Omar used to help him rob the CO-OP.

When they couldn't get close enough within that community to do it justice, they settled on doing that bullshit with the press instead.

Now, in retrospect, it wasn't as bad as it seemed considering all the craziness going on in the media today..........but the newspaper angle wasn't originally intended to be the focus of Season 5.

Not exactly.

They tried to set it up in Season 4 with the latino crew that Omar used to help him rob the CO-OP.

When they couldn't get close enough within that community to do it justice, they settled on doing that bullshit with the press instead.

Now, in retrospect, it wasn't as bad as it seemed considering all the craziness going on in the media today..........but the newspaper angle wasn't originally intended to be the focus of Season 5.
take yo old as outta here.

I couldn't stand the newspaper story line, on rewatch I skip all those scenes. As a whole season 5 was the worst season

At first I hated it too.

Looking back though, that bullshit with McNulty was hilarious.

Dude made up that story about a serial killer and ended up controlling all the overtime pay in the department.

On the whole, Season 5 wasn't really a bad season..........it just wasn't as good as the other seasons.

The same can be said about Season 2.

Although people disagree on the order........the general consensus is that Seasons 1, 3, and 4 were the best seasons.

Last edited:
I was cool w/ both *kanye shrug*

Plus Clark Johnson who played Gus is the 2nd most underrated character in The Wire after Norman.
Nah, the homeless killer stuff was stupid

I liked the newspaper angle because it showed the news getting reported had a negative/positive impact on the community from drugs to politics.

Not exactly.

ur right but yea after season 5 was greenlit they tried to push another season and that s when the hispanic shit was gonna play out

knowing that the shit was prolly not moving past season 5 Simon and the other guy, a cop and a newspaper writer decided to dedicate the final season to their respective professions to not only pay respects to the professions and how hard cops and newspapers writers work but also the decay of both those industries ( budget cuts, terrible employees and etc....) u can write an entire series of books on themes in season 5

also why the last quote is from HL Menchken

Honestly out of all of the seasons where new characters were introduced, season 5 added the weakest group of them all. The only characters who seemed somewhat interesting were Gus, Alma, and maybe Templeton. and, with the exception of Gus, they were quite subpar in comparison to even the characters introduced in season 2, the season many call the worst. because at least the Stevedores, the Sabotkas, and the Greeks contributed roles that made the overall storyline more engaging. I felt that the journalists and reporters added very little to the 5th season. if they even added anything at all.

Last edited:
One of the most underrated aspect of the show is how each season addresses an industry which has one way or another affected modern America
1-Drugs
2-Unions /modernization of traditional jobs in the US
3-Military
4-Public Education
5-Police and Journalism

Back