Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Problem With Mr. Chow

Allergens

Me I'm Supa Fly
When you look at a character like Chow in the Hang Over, mostly if your not Asian. You see a funny caricature of Asian people. When first introduce, Chow was just an ambiguous Asian gangster. He spoke broke english with an Asian accent. He had funny lines and an attitude that showed he was someone to mess with.

As the series on movies we're released with the Hang Over, Mr. Chow was further made into a caricature and slowly developed as more than human and not just a caricature. When it comes to characters like Chow, there is a good and a bad balance.

The bad balance is that to those that dont know better or choose to not know better. He is Asian people in America. Something that can generalize an entire group of people because not many Asian characters exist on TV and Movies. And when they do, either its an asian backdrop, or no note is mention about the fact that they are asian other than in passing.

The good balance is that, he created a memorable character, which lead to him getting other rolls where he could show range beyond that caricature roll. Having him in that role highlighted the fact to the ignorant that asian actors are more than ninja roles and mute henchmen.

So sometimes, in my opinion. The problem with Mr. Chow is that he is needed to open doors. The problem with Mr. Chow is that in America, minorities have to be first humiliated before they are humanized

Was this inspired by that Apu movie?

problemwithapu-banner-700x300.jpg

Allergens' cheeks clapping aside, he does have a point.

When you're fresh on the scene in America, or even if you've been around a minute, you and your group is always presented in a way that the audience "gets." Stereotype heavy, reference laden, one dimensional characters are pretty much the norm for a group on the outs in society.

But if a character person breaks through, it definitely opens the door for members of that group to be treated like actual human beings later. Sometimes.

It seemed that way for gay folks and some groups of latinos in the 90s. Folks from India are getting some of that love now.

But the pioneers usually get done dirty. As the saying goes, the first one over the mountain gets the arrows

Back