Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-loses-conservatives-simplistic-fixation

Trump Starts To Lose Conservatives Who See Wall As Simplistic Fixation

Though President Donald Trump’s border wall has long alienated Democrats of all stripes, some conservatives are cooling on the idea as well, since they see other border security measures as more important and effective.

According to a Wednesday Politico report, hardliners are much more gung-ho about measures like E-Verify and reducing legal immigration than a few miles of wall.

“President Trump was elected to put forth a multi-pronged approach to immigration, not just build a couple hundred miles of border barriers,” RJ Hauman, government relations director at the pro-enforcement Federation for American Immigration Reform, told Politico. “It’s disappointing to see what he’s doing now.”

“Ultimately a border wall is less important than interior enforcement, including E-Verify,” Reihan Salam, executive editor of National Review, added.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/convinced-land-deal-dems-kushner-plunges-immigration-talks

Convinced He Can Land A Deal With Dems, Kushner Plunges Into Immigration Talks

Fueled by confidence from his recent legislative win on criminal justice reform, senior adviser and Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner has reportedly thrown himself into the mix of key players attempting to make a deal with Democrats on the shutdown, The Washington Post reported.

According to more than a dozen people close to President Trump and others involved in the process who spoke to the Post, Kushner has dominated other White House aides in strategy talks in recent weeks and meets with Trump and Vice President Mike Pence every morning to discuss impasse plans. Kushner is reportedly aiming to pull off a comprehensive immigration deal to end the shutdown.

Part of Trump’s stubborn non-compromise on funding for his physical border wall is fueled by Kushner’s assurances that he can negotiate a bipartisan deal with Democrats, according to the Post.

tenor.gif

I can’t believe Lara Trump is only 36...

Trump needs to man up and take the L on the shut down. Blame anyone n anything, it doesnt matter. Jus end the fuckin shutdown.

It jus goes to show you how shitty his advisers are. They are gonna let him crash n burn over a campaign applause line.

No one in his inner circle has his or the country's best interest at heart. They jus in it for the checks.

Trump needs to man up and take the L on the shut down. Blame anyone n anything, it doesnt matter. Jus end the fuckin shutdown.

It jus goes to show you how shitty his advisers are. They are gonna let him crash n burn over a campaign applause line.

No one in his inner circle has his or the country's best interest at heart. They jus in it for the checks.

It's wild that the folks voting on everybody else's healthcare... have great fuckin healthcare... and everyone voting on whether or not to reopen/fund the government.. are still currently being paid by the government.. SMH

Last edited:

Are they getying paid?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/back-to-square-one-senate-rejects-gops-government-shutdown-bill

Six GOP Senators Buck Trump As Competing Shutdown Measures Fail

A pair of competing Senate bills to reopen the government failed to pass on Thursday, the latest non-starter attempts to fall short as the government shutdown stretches into its 34th day. But a half-dozen Republicans defected from their party to vote with Democrats, a sign of a growing split between President Trump and his party’s more institutional wing.

The votes were the first time the Senate has actually voted on the shutdown since it began in late December. And while the Democratic bill was nowhere near passing, the decision by a half-dozen Republicans to split with their party was a sign that the growing pressure on the GOP may be shifting down-ballot Republicans away from their president.

The GOP bill to fund the government and finance Trump’s border wall got just 50 votes with 47 voting against, far short of the 60 needed. A Democratic bill to reopen the government through Feb. 8 without any strings attached failed as well, but got significantly more crossover support, winning 52 votes with 44 against. Sens. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Susan Collins (R-ME), Cory Gardner (R-CO), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and Mitt Romney (R-UT) all bucked Trump to vote with the Democrats.

There were also more GOP defections than Democratic ones on Republican bill that included wall funding. Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) was the only Democrat to vote for it. Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR), an immigration hardliner and normally a close Trump ally, voted against the bill from the right. Libertarian-leaning Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) also opposed it.

The GOP bill would have funded Trump’s wall and dramatically limited the ability of refugees to apply for asylum. That bill also offered temporary protections for DACA recipients and refugees currently living in the U.S. in an attempt to woo Democrats.

Following the votes, Sen. John Thune (R-SD), the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, told reporters that he hopes party leaders will now negotiate a deal to open the government “in an earnest way.”

“These votes, I think, put the pressure on both sides to meet,” Thune said.

Some GOP lawmakers were hopeful before the votes as well, as a bipartisan group of senators began to negotiate a way to end the partial shutdown.

“Hopefully we can find some kind of third approach. There’s a dozen of us, maybe more… talking about finding a way to find a short-term CR [continuing resolution] acceptable to the president,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) told reporters before the vote, saying lawmakers were looking for a “bipartisan piece of legislation added to a short-term CR” that could get support.

But what Trump might be willing to accept is the big question. The President has so far refused to entertain any offers to reopen the government that doesn’t include funding for the border wall.

Democrats were incredulous, wondering how the compromise in the works was much different than the bill most Republicans opposed.

“Well, that sounds a lot like what Sen. Schumer is proposing, right?” Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) told TPM before the votes.

Graham, who met with Trump earlier this week, said the president “feels like he’s moved and they haven’t, so to get a short-term CR I think you’d have to show some movement on their part that would be seen as legitimate.”

But Trump has essentially refused to negotiate with Democrats since he unilaterally floated what he billed as a compromise last weekend.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said support for the GOP plan amounted to “an endorsement of government by extortion.”

Lawmakers in both parties seemed increasingly fed up with the ongoing shutdown ahead of the Thursday afternoon votes.

Normally mild-mannered Sen. Michael Bennet (D-CO) took Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) to task on the Senate floor before the vote, accusing him of “crocodile tears” for saying he cared about government workers when he was a leading cause of the last major government shutdown.

And Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH), part of the bipartisan rump group, sounded fed up as well.

“Shutdowns are always stupid. This is a particularly stupid one because the underlying problem is one we can resolve. We’re not that far apart,” he said.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/florida-secretary-state-resigns-photos-blackface-katrina-victim

FL Sec Of State Resigns Over Photos Of Him In Blackface Dressed As Katrina Victim

Florida Secretary of State Michael Ertel has resigned after photos from a Halloween party 14 years ago that show him wearing blackface and dressed up as a Hurricane Katrina victim surfaced in a new Tallahassee Democrat report.

“The governor accepted Secretary Ertel’s resignation,” Gov. Ron DeSantis’s office said in a statement to the Tallahassee Democrat Thursday. When reached by TPM, the office said it didn’t yet have a statement on the incident.

The pictures show Ertel wearing blackface, red lipstick, earrings, a New Orleans Saints bandana tied around his head and a t-shirt that said “Katrina Victim” scrawled across it. They were reportedly captured in 2005, just months after Hurricane Katrina ransacked New Orleans, causing nearly 2,000 deaths. At the time, Ertel was serving as the supervisor of elections for Seminole County in Florida.

Ertel would not comment to the Democrat on the record, telling the newspaper, “there’s nothing I can say.”

https://www.mediaite.com/online/ber...candidates-regardless-of-what-they-stand-for/

Bernie: ‘My Opponents’ Want Black, White, Gay, Latino or Women Candidates ‘Regardless of What They Stand For’

Independent Vermont Senator and potential 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is claiming that many of his Democratic opponents want racially and sexually diverse candidates “regardless of what they stand for.”

In a lengthy profile for GQ Magazine, Sanders once again railed against what he calls “identity politics,” telling the magazine that he believes his opponents care only about fielding candidates based on race, gender, or sexuality:

In a Democratic Party that is increasingly deriving its energy—not to mention its votes—from minorities and women, Sanders remains a critic of identity politics and a firm believer that issues of race, while important, are not as salient and determinative as those of class. “There are people who are very big into diversity but whose views end up being not particularly sympathetic to working people, whether they’re white or black or Latino,” he said. “My main belief is that we need to bring together a coalition of people—of black and white and Latino and Asian-American and Native-American—around a progressive agenda which is prepared to take on an extraordinarily powerful ruling class in this country. That is my view. Many of my opponents do not hold that view, and they think that all that we need is people who are candidates who are black or white, who are black or Latino or woman or gay, regardless of what they stand for, that the end result is diversity.” He hastened to add that “diversity is enormously important,” but there was a bigger goal: “to change society and create an economy and a government that work for all people.”

Fact Check: The only arguable “opponent” of Sanders who has said anything like this is Stormy Daniels attorney Michael Avenatti, who told Time Magazinethat the 2020 Democratic nominee “better be a white male” because “When you have a white male making the arguments, they carry more weight.”

Sanders has a long history of dismissing the concerns of women and minorities, obsessing over white voters, as well as seeming to excuse racism.

After the 2016 election, Sanders hit a similar theme when he told a crowd of supporters “It’s not good enough for somebody to say ‘hey I’m a Latina vote for me’ that is not good enough,” and went on to add “It is not good enough for somebody to say, ‘I’m a woman, vote for me.'”

And although Sanders frequently derides “identity politics,” he diagnosed the 2016 defeat as a failure of white identity politics, tweeting shortly after the election that “I come from the white working class, and I am deeply humiliated that the Democratic Party cannot talk to the people where I came from.”

The Democrats won Brooklyn by 61 points, and Vermont by almost thirty.

In 2017, Sanders appeared to separate minorities from “ordinary Americans,” and subordinate their issues, in an interview with Seth Meyers:

Number one, we have got to take on Trump’s attacks against the environment, against women, against Latinos and blacks and people in the gay community, we’ve got to fight back every day on those issues. But equally important, or more important, we have got to focus on bread-and-butter issues that mean so much to ordinary Americans.

In November, Sanders said that people who weren’t “comfortable” voting for a black candidate were “not necessarily racist.”In November, Sanders said that people who weren’t “comfortable” voting for a black candidate were “not necessarily racist.”

Back