The Official World Politics Thread

I would say I wish Obama would develop that kind of relationship with Melania, just to piss Trump off, but I know Michelle ain't having that shit, lol.

I would say I wish Obama would develop that kind of relationship with Melania, just to piss Trump off, but I know Michelle ain't having that shit, lol.

Michelle ain't Bush's wife. You tryin to get that man cut!

I see she's gearing up and cleaning house already for her run in 2020.

Longtime aide to Sen. Kamala D. Harris resigns amid sexual harassment allegations

A longtime senior aide to Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) resigned Wednesday amid allegations of sexual harassment while working for Harris during her tenure as attorney general of California.

The resignation of Larry Wallace, who served as director of the division of law enforcement in the California Department of Justice, came after the Sacramento Bee inquired about a $400,000 settlement reached in response to a lawsuit filed by Danielle Hartley, who served as Wallace’s assistant, against the state of California.

The December 2016 lawsuit was settled in May 2017 by Harris’s successor as attorney general, Xavier Becerra, according to the Bee.

Lily Adams, a Harris spokeswoman, said the senator was unaware of the allegations.

“We were unaware of this issue and take accusations of harassment extremely seriously,” Adams said in a statement. “This evening, Mr. Wallace offered his resignation to the senator and she accepted it.”

Following Harris’s 2016 election to the Senate, Wallace became a senior adviser in her Sacramento office.

[Sen. Kamala D. Harris spurns corporate PAC donations, joining other 2020 hopefuls]

Harris, who is eyeing a 2020 bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, has been active in the #MeToo movement and advocated for legislation broadening protections against workplace harassment.

According to the lawsuit, which was filed after Harris’s election to the Senate but while she remained attorney general, Hartley “had concerns she was being harassed and demeaned due to her gender.”

“This included Wallace placing his printer underneath his desk on the floor and ordering Hartley to put paper in Wallace’s printer or replace the ink on a daily basis,” the lawsuit said. “Hartley requested that the printer be moved to another location so she would not have to bend down on her knees under the desk in her dresses and skirts, but Wallace refused.”

Hartley alleged that “many times” Wallace asked her to put paper in the printer with other male senior staff members in the room.

In the lawsuit, Hartley also said that her “meaningful tasks” were taken away and she was asked to book flights for Wallace’s children, wash his car and run personal errands.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...60ce2a8148f_story.html?utm_term=.af305b740ba1

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/saudis-booked-500-rooms-after-2016-election

Saudis Booked 500 Rooms At Trump Hotel In DC Just After 2016 Election

Just a month after Donald Trump was elected President in 2016, a group of Saudi lobbyists reserved 500 rooms at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., the Washington Post reported Wednesday.

At $768 per night, the 500 rooms totaled more than $270,000, according to the Post.

The lobbyists were associated with a campaign that offered free trips to D.C. for veterans who helped lobby against a law — that the Saudis reportedly opposed — on Capitol Hill, veterans and people who organized the trips told the Post. The group was previously paying for the veterans to stay in Northern Virginia, but after Trump was elected, they changed lodging to the luxury hotel.

People who organized the trip told the Post that they chose the Trump Hotel because it offered a discount.

Veterans who participated in the trip told the Post they don’t buy that explanation.

“It made all the sense in the world when we found out that the Saudis had paid for it,” Henry Garcia, a veteran who participated in the trip told the Post. “I said, ‘Oh, we were just used to give Trump money.’ ”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/gohmert-rants-soros-supposed-to-be-jewish

Gohmert Bizarrely Pivots From George Orwell To George Soros Conspiracy

Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX) made a hard-to-follow segue during an interview on Fox Business Network Thursday in order to criticize billionaire George Soros, calling him a traitor to his fellow Jews due to his stance on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and a false right-wing smear.

Gohmert pivoted from talking about censorship with the awkwardly forced transition: “it reminds me of another George,” pirouetting off of author George Orwell. His following statements on Soros were completely divorced from the conversation he was previously having with Fox Business Network’s Stuart Varney.

“George Soros is supposed to be Jewish, but you wouldn’t know it from the damage he inflicted on Israel and the fact that he turned on fellow Jews helped take the property that they owned,” Gohmert said.

The right-wing talking point that Soros took property from Jews during the Nazi occupation is a false conspiracy theory that has spread to larger platforms during the Trump administration

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/conservative-pastor-claims-muslims-congress-islamic-republic

Pastor Claims Muslim Reps. Will Make House Floor ‘Look Like An Islamic Republic’

A conservative pastor, who was the Republican nominee for lieutenant governor of Virginia in 2013 and lost a Republican primary bid for Senate in May, made bigoted claims on his radio show this week, arguing that Muslims should not be allowed to serve in Congress.

Suggesting it was “just beyond the pale” that a Muslim could be elected, Bishop E.W. Jackson argued that America is a “Judeo-Christian country” and said the “floor of Congress” will now “look like an Islamic republic.”

“We are a nation rooted and grounded in Christianity and that’s that. And anybody that doesn’t like that, go live somewhere else,” he said. “It’s very simple. Just go live somewhere else. Don’t try to change our country into some sort of Islamic republic or try to base our country on Sharia law.”

“The fact that we’re electing these people to Congress and electing them to office is just beyond the pale,” he continued. “Now, don’t get me wrong, I believe in the freedom of religion, I believe in the First Amendment, but I’ll tell you what, I’m not voting for a Muslim to serve in any office. Me, personally, I’m not doing it. … The threat to humanity is not merely radical Islam, the threat to humanity is Islam, period.”

The comments appear to come in reaction to news that Democrats have asked for a change to the House’s floor dress code rules abut headwear to accommodate newly elected Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) and Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), who wear hijabs.

6FCA92AF-4101-473D-8221-0D8AEB7B098A.png

738622AB-B812-48FF-8A87-F7E2320BF4C2.gif

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...acist-ad-appointed-to-minority-affairs-office

Chairwoman Of PAC That Ran Racist Ad Appointed To Minority Affairs Office

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice appointed Jill Upson, chairwoman of a PAC called Black Americans for the President’s Agenda, to head West Virginia’s Herbert Henderson Office of Minority Affairs just months after her organization ran a racist ad about Democrats lynching black men.

According to a Tuesday Register-Herald report, Upson will be in charge of, among other things, identifying and proposing rewrites for policies that harm minorities.

Upson previously served as a state delegate, but was defeated in the most recent election. The West Virginia branch of the NAACP reportedly called on her to resign that post due to the ad.

The ad, which ran in late October for Rep. French Hill (R-AK), featured two seemingly black women discussing the likelihood that white Democrats would start lynching black men as part of the #MeToo movement.

Both Hill and Upson denounced the ad — Upson tried to wash her hands of any responsibility. “Upon listening to the ad last night, I contacted the organization’s founder and demanded that it be removed from the air and no longer played,” she wrote in a Facebook post. However, her words seemed to have had no effect on the playing of the ads.

Per the Register-Herald, the former person who held the minority office chairmanship, Bill White, was booted after he admitted to sexually assaulting his employee.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-06-at-1.23.23-PM-804x452@2x.png

670F98B0-84BA-4BC0-A7BB-9CB1F1A457A9.gif

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...speaks-he-knows-we-are-helping-him-make-money

Undocumented Trump Employee Speaks: ‘He Knows’ We Are ‘Helping Him Make Money’

A undocumented immigrant who is a maid at President Donald Trump’s Bedminster, New Jersey golf club spoke out to The New York Times about the “humiliation” she has endured as a result of his rhetoric about immigration.

“We are tired of the abuse, the insults, the way he talks about us when he knows that we are here helping him make money,” Victorina Morales told the Times. “We sweat it out to attend to his every need and have to put up with his humiliation.”

“I ask myself, is it possible that this señor thinks we have papers? He knows we don’t speak English,” she said separately. “Why wouldn’t he figure it out?”

Morales and Sandra Diaz, a former Bedminster employee who is now a legal U.S. resident, reached out to the Times through their lawyer, who is representing them in “immigration matters.” Morales has applied for asylum protections. She is also “exploring a lawsuit claiming workplace abuse and discrimination,” in the Times’ words.

“There are many people without papers,” Diaz, who left her Bedminster job in 2013, told the Times.

Morales acknowledged using falsified documents to the Times; she said supervisors at Bedminster helped her work there despite being undocumented.

“We have tens of thousands of employees across our properties and have very strict hiring practices,”a Trump Organization spokesperson told the Times. “If an employee submitted false documentation in an attempt to circumvent the law, they will be terminated immediately.”

Morales and Diaz — who both cleaned Trump’s clothes and personal space at Bedminster — recalled generally being treated well by Trump, at times receiving $50 or $100 tips, but Morales said her supervisors have made more of an issue of her immigration status since Trump declared his presidential candidacy — though an unnamed manager still helped her obtain a false green card.

One supervisor, in the Times’ words, “frequently made remarks about the employees’ vulnerable legal status when critiquing their work … sometimes calling them ‘stupid illegal immigrants’ with less intelligence than a dog.”

Former host of Fox & Friends

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/its-official-trump-taps-state-dept-spox-as-un-ambassador

It’s Official: Trump Taps State Dept. Spox As UN Ambassador

President Trump on Friday said that he was nominating State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert to be his next United Nations ambassador.

“Heather Nauert will be nominated for the ambassador to the United Nations,” he told reporters. She replaces Nikki Haley, who is set to leave the post at the end of the year.

The walls are closing in on 45.....wouldn't surprise me if Ivanka, Eric and Don Jr get indicted