Welcome To aBlackWeb

The official ATP/WTA thread

Roger Federer believes Serena Williams’ achievements are enough to merit a place as the greatest tennis player of all time.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal published on Wednesday, Federer expresses his admiration for Williams, who has 39 grand slam titles including 23 in singles.

“[Williams’s career] has been fascinating to watch. She had a totally different upbringing – I came up through Switzerland with the federation, she did it with her dad and her sister,” says Federer in the interview. “It’s an amazing story unto itself – and then she became one of the greatest, if not the greatest tennis player of all time.”

Federer is then asked to clarify if he means Williams is the best female player of all time or the best overall. “Overall,” he says.

Serena Williams should be seeded at Wimbledon for the good of the game

Federer, whose 20 grand slam singles titles are the most by any male player, adds the far from controversial point that his achievements rank with the greats. “But we know [Williams] is all the way up there. I’m probably up there with somebody, somehow. Maybe there’s a group, a best of five – and if you’re in that group, you should be pleased and happy. Tennis is a funky sport when it comes to that stuff.”

"I'm in full admiration of Serena. And Venus, too, by the way."

Great win for the kid. I am starting to see what u see in him.

With that been said, these 5 sets may start to add up. Not good for later in the tournament.

Back