Welcome To aBlackWeb

The official ATP/WTA thread 🎾

We have placed Roger Federer and Alcaraz as the two leaders of yesteryear and today. The rest of the panorama that has been revealed to us has given a fairly clear advantage in favour of those of the previous decade,” said the Mallorcan.

“The top tennis players of a few years ago were better than those of today. I think that it is most likely so. That before the players were noticeably better and much more competitive than those of the present moment.

“The current Djokovic is well below that of five or ten years ago. Without a doubt, Nadal would surpass [Daniil] Medvedev, [Andy] Murray would be better than [Alexander] Zverev, and [Stan] Wawrinka better than [Casper] Ruud. [Juan Martin] Del Potro would also beat [Andrey] Rublev, and [David] Ferrer the same with [Holger] Rune.

“I am surprised by the general lack of consistency and regularity. With the exception of Djokovic and Alcaraz, the level offered by the majority is disappointing.”

The Spaniard suggested the focus on power over precision could be a reason for this trend, while stating this makes the game less attractive to watch.

“Current tennis is much more focused on hitting the ball very hard to the detriment of giving it control and this, of course, makes it very difficult to make a difference, but also to see beautiful matches,” added
Toni Nadal.

I don't know who the first player was to discover serving and volleying against Medvedev is his weakness but that's destroyed his life

Back