Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official 2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Just looking at the current race for golden boot, only Lukaku and maybe Mbappe can catch Kane

Kane - 6 goals (England)
Lukaku - 4 goals (Belgium)
Dzyuba - 3 goals (Russia)
Cheryshev - 3 goals (Russia)
Mbappe - 3 goals (France)
Cavani - 3 goals (Uruguay)

I think this may be the turning point that England can really do this......

They should comfortably beat Sweden, Colombia was the main challenge

I've had time to reflect on this statement I made on Sweden last night and did some research.
  • Sweden have only conceded 2 goals in 4 games so far in this competition (both in 1 game against Germany) compared to England who have conceded in every game so far including against Panama (i.e. 4 goals).
  • Sweden's defensive record is 3rd best in the competition - only Uruguay (conceded 1), Brazil (conceded 1) have done better and Croatia (conceded 2) equaled on that.
  • Majority of England's 9 goals scored so far have come from set-pieces (3 being penalties). Compared to England's previous opponents, Sweden concede a lot less fouls averaging 13.75 per game vs 16 per game England have won
  • Sweden give slightly more corners away to opposition than England's previous opponents (7.75 per game vs 6 per game), however coming into the competition they were the second tallest team with average height of 185.2 cm (behind Serbia at 185.6 cm)
  • Attacking wise, England are 2nd for most goals scored (9 compared to Belgium's 12) and 6th for most attempts at goal. Other than Belgium, Sweden will be England's toughest attacking threat so far
  • Of the 9 goals England have scored, 6 have come from Kane (3 penalties, 2 headers from set-pieces and a fluke off his heel), 2 from Stones (2 headers from set-pieces) and 1 from Lingard (worldie from open play). Sweden on the other hand have scored 6, 2 from pens and 1 an own goal.
This looks to be a proper match-up of good attack (England) vs good defense (Sweden). As long as Sweden can give away as few fouls and corners as possible, then nullify Kane, then they've got a very good shot in the few break aways they have especially from set-pieces themselves considering how tall they are.

giphy.gif

Back