Welcome To aBlackWeb

It's amazing they found enough black British actors free to do this given how busy they are taking all the Hollywood parts. lol

This is ok (nothing too crazy) and it has some nice shots; execution doesn't always land the mark and the pacing is a bit all over the place. It took a while for this to take off and the narrative of the film felt lost at times. Think my favorite scene was the 2nd raid when they killed the Kitchener and I liked the dynamic between Izi and Benji

Societal Sins

PRAISE: Actor Daniel Kaluuya and Kibwe Tavares,directorial debut The Kitchen paints a picture of a bleak dystopian future but also reflects what is happening presently in small portions around the world. The story about Izi close to escaping The Kitchen, one of London's last remaining housing estates. But when young Benji enters his life,things change. One of the best things about the story is about the bond that grows between Izi and Benji,it has its highs and lows and wavers at times. As Izi (Kane Robinson) and Benji (Jedaiah Bannerman) display plenty of raw emotion as they not only try to figure out where they stand with each other while battling and literally running from being pushed out of where they live. Another great thing is how reflective it is. I think of neighborhoods slowly fading away and are bogged down by towering condominiums and places of business and forcing the hands of those who live in the aforementioned neighborhoods as it is well displayed in a couple of the movies action sequences. Benji is pulled in different ways in the film, remain with a father figure he's not sure of or with someone going down a dangerous path who is overcome with anger. Kaluuya and Tavares do well displaying how people just want to live and do better for themselves. Even as Izi hustles at a new wave mausoleum I rooted for him because he is yearning for something better.

PROBLEMS: The pacing definitely could have been better as I felt the movie was to dwelling at times. Some portions of the movie are spelled out to a T and predictable. I think there were a couple of gaps in the story that needed to be filled especially when it came to a characters future,survival and path in life.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Back