Hunger Games, The: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Good Games

When this prequel was announced all I could think was Money Grab!! Plus it features a character who's fate is already well known but this movie was surprisingly entertaining. The story mainly focuses on Coriolanus Snow (played with good intensity by Tom Blyth),what shaped him and what he had to endure as a young man. Which all happens well partially happens at the time of the Tenth Hunger Games. The cast does well with some definite stand out performances. That being Viola Davis as Head Gamemaker Dr. Volumnia Gaul . She chews up the scenery as a character who is like a cross between a Disney Witch and a G.I Joe Cobra villain. As Lucy Gray Baird Rachel Zegler gets to show off her vocal talents.
I liked the tug of wars the characters had to go through. To rebel or not to rebel, should I choose power over love. I could tell someone in the writing room said turn up the cruelty because some scenes were full of characters being degraded and then some which actually angered and disturbed me.The action sequences were pretty good due to some slick camera work which made them very involving.

PROBLEMS: The movie definitely felt drawn out at times. There's a moment that's supposed to be moving and hugely emotional but it just felt like I was watching an odd version of American Idol.
A few characters were underdeveloped which lead to me not really being invested in them.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

eh I didnt really enjoy this. Then again I wasnt too big on the originals either.

That being said the originals were better imo

This was a lot better than I thought it would be. There hasn’t been a Hunger Games movie yet that I’ve straight up hated but they’re not perfect. Definitely the weakest out the set but dude who played young President Snow had a good performance. He carried the movie.