Welcome To aBlackWeb

Chi-Town B

Mod Squad
Starz announced Friday at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour that it was developing The Continental, an ongoing drama series based on the John Wick film franchise starring Keanu Reeves. Reeves, Starz execs said, is expected to make an appearance in the potential series but will not star.

The potential TV series is set in the John Wick universe and focuses on the inner workings of the exclusive Continental Hotel, which serves as a refuge for assassins.

Chris Collins (Sons of Anarchy, The Wire, Man in the High Castle) will pen the script and serve as showrunner should the drama move forward. The original film's creative team is on board for the TV offshoot, with Thunder Road Pictures' Basil Iwanyk — who produced the first two features and serves in the same capacity on the forthcoming third — leads an exec producing team that also includes Chad Stahelski (who directed the first two and is returning for the third), original franchise screenwriter Derek Kolstad, Collins, David Leitch (who co-directed the original) and Reeves. Stahelski will direct the premiere of The Continental, should the script move forward.

The John Wick franchiseproduced by Lionsgate, which now fully owns Starz — has grossed nearly $300 million worldwide. The third feature, with Reeves starring, is due in 2019. Starz will retain domestic multiplatform pay TV and SVOD rights to the series, while Lionsgate will control international, domestic distribution and home entertainment rights.

"This series is truly unlike anything else on TV,” Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said. “The Continental promises to include the thunderous fight sequences and intensely staged shootouts between professional assassins and their targets that fans have come to expect in the John Wick movie franchise as well as introduce some new, darkly compelling characters who inhabit this underground world.”

The Continental arrives as reboots and spinoffs remain in high demand while broadcast, cable and streaming platforms continue to look for proven franchises in a bid to cut through a cluttered landscape that is expected to top 520 original scripted series in 2018. Key to the reboots is having the original producers involved, which The Continental has with Lionsgate and the John Wick's original producing team.

The project arrives as Starz continues to ramp up its scripted offerings from Lionsgate after the company was sold last year. Starz went to series on Lionsgate-produced Vida and Stephenie Meyer's The Rook. Those join a roster of scripted originals that includes American Gods, Ash vs. Evil Dead, The Missing, Outlander, Power, Counterpart, Howard's End and Sweetbitter.

Ehhh..bet money dude is gonna look corny id feel better if they did something in the Universe and vaguely refernce JohnWick.. leave John Wick Alone.. i think it cheapens it..

You knew this was coming sooner or later. This can be a major hit or a flop. If I were producing this I'd leave John Wick out completely and focus on that whole universe and its other characters. This way you avoid contradictions or trying to make a movie based on some shit they had in the TV show regarding John.

Great idea but the execution will be crucial.
The same team that's worked on the movies will be working on this and they can run at the same time. You can follow different assassins throughout the season. Wick is only most likely making a cameo or maybe random appearances every now and then. The amount of characters that you can put in Wick won't be necessary to carry it.

Now is this before or after the international reward on wick's head?
Show will be set after John Wick 3 though may feature flashback episodes of historically significant hits like the Kennedy Assassination. May also be developed into an anthology series of sorts with each season featuring a different Continental Hotel in a different city. They've got a lot of potential mileage including guest stars and guest directors doing one off episodes that don't need to tie into John Wick personally but will establish the lore and mythos around the world of international assassins and how their order has evolved over time. The idea has been cooking since the development of John Wick 2 and Atomic Blonde, the only thing that seems somewhat of a conflict is the Hitman TV series which will also be written by Kohlstad. Seems like competing franchises with the same people involved and one will inevitably suffer as a result. I personally hope they get Vincent Cassell and Jean Reno if they get round to Le Continental in Paris, they could even film it at the actual hotel of the same name there, maybe reveal their wine cellar has a secret wall to a gun vault or to the Catacombs or something.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/continental-condom.en-gb.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ehhh..bet money dude is gonna look corny id feel better if they did something in the Universe and vaguely refernce JohnWick.. leave John Wick Alone.. i think it cheapens it..

Did you not read the article? That's exactly what their doing.

The isn't going to be about John Wick, but the Continental hotel all the assassins stay at.

If it's gonna be about the hotel then Lance Reddick and Ian McShane should reprise there roles.

Did you not read the article? That's exactly what their doing.

The isn't going to be about John Wick, but the Continental hotel all the assassins stay at.

If it's gonna be about the hotel then Lance Reddick and Ian McShane should reprise there roles.
I'm not even excited now they are going the Limitless route rather than with the original concept but I get Hitman and John Wick are both likely to be on the same slate in terms of release for TV and perhaps they don't want them to seem too similar. I can see them getting McShane since it doesn't look like American Gods season 2 looks likely at all now and once he's done the Deadwood movie he'll have time free.

The world building in John Wick is just dope. it's the sort of material that begs for the depth TV can provide where movies simply can't.

Well that's different. Curious how this will work. Could definitely branch off on new characters if they become favorites

Will def check it out tho didn't finish jw4. You guys in this thread keep me updated on what's new lol

Back