Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black 🖤

👑The Fall Off👑
13A491E2-32A6-4456-8A03-858247AED1A9.jpeg

There are some out there clinging to the belief that Jeymes Samuel’s “The Book of Clarence” will be an Oscar contender. It’s most probably going to TIFF, not sure about Venice or Telluride.
Samuel’s film is about a man named Clarence living in 29 A.D. Jerusalem who looks to capitalize on the rise of Jesus Christ. It sounds intriguing enough. The setting is, at least, interesting.
Filming on the film actually began in November and wrapped in February. It is scheduled to be released on September 22, 2023 by Sony (prime TIFF slot). It is biblical and has a talented cast of African-American actors behind it.
This cast includes LaKeith Stanfield (as Clarence), Omar Sy, David Oyelowo and Alfre Woodard. Benedict Cumberbatch and James McAvoy are also said to have supporting roles.
A test-screening occurred last night in Los Angeles. I have a reaction:
Hey I saw the book of Clarence last night at a test screening and I thought it was alright, a little bit of Taika Waititi mixed with some of the directors previous style to make something that forms a halfway interesting idea about challenging faith with knowledge only to succumb to that and become a movie about the belief in Jesus. Lakeith is great here and the music is the movies strongest aspect. Overall I think it works best as a conversation starter, especially having such a predominantly black cast and having so many modern aspects to it (smoking of weed, racial epithet, a scene where they dance to synth music like in a club) it’s unabashedly a black piece of filmmaking. The tone going in the first 30 minutes is very Waiti meets Sorry to Bother you and Cumberbatch is almost in borderline blackface (he’s meant to be a dirty filthy street beggar who receives a makeover to look just like Jesus is pictured today in one of the most amusing moments in the movie) and it ultimately finds it stride halfway through.
Samuel’s directorial debut was the star-studded Western, “The Harder They Fall.” Before that he was known for having a long career in music as the artist known as The Bullitts.
Let’s all pray that this one’s better than “The Harder They Fall.”

1701251212115.png

Back