Welcome To aBlackWeb

The 2018-2019 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

If the season was to go perfectly, conference finals.

Most likely outcome, second round exit.
My goal for us this season is Patience. We need to stick to the plan, keep the kids this season, sign another max player next offseason and then trade some of the kids for AD.

Lol, let me dream.

What's up with Moe? Haven't seen or heard much about him.

Thank you, kind sir. Do you know the timetable for him to return to full contact?
No idea bro. They barely ask questions about him, which is surprising since he is our first round rookie. He seems to be moving well in the videos i have seen, so i assume its soon. But our training staff is very conservative.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...akers-trying-6-foot-9-kyle-kuzma-center-first

Lakers trying 6-foot-9 Kyle Kuzma at center for first time

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Kyle Kuzma spent much of his summer bulking up, and now he's putting some of that muscle to work at center.

The Los Angeles Lakers are trying different small-ball lineups in training camp, including utilizing the 6-foot-9 Kuzma at the 5. The second-year forward is learning how to play the position, something he has done only in high school.

"It's going well, you know, picking it up," Kuzma said after Lakers practice on Friday. "I have never really played the five before. And I think it will be good for us, having a small-ball unit, getting out and running and gunning."

The Lakers signed JaVale McGee as a free agent and drafted Moritz Wagner in the first round to go with Ivica Zubac on the roster. But Magic Johnson, Lakers president of basketball operations, and general manager Rob Pelinka believe the team's roster is flexible, deep and filled with plenty of length and height to allow coach Luke Walton to use a variety of players on the floor in today's increasingly position-less game.

Walton said entering camp that he had three to four different variations of small-ball lineups he wanted to look at. LeBron James is expected to see some minutes at center in certain situations, as well. Walton said James has been used "all over the court position-wise" and has been calling out defensive coverages from everywhere.

Last season, the Lakers had Julius Randle and Brook Lopez playing most of the minutes at center. Walton often used an undersized center with the 6-foot-9 Randle manning the position often because of Randle's ability to switch and defend multiple positions. Randle signed with New Orleans in free agency and the Lakers would love to find another player who can play center and be able to switch seamlessly into multiple positions.

Walton says Kuzma has that potential.

"Absolutely," Walton said of being able to see Kuzma defend multiple positions as a center one day. "One of the reasons why we are trying him out there is because we liked that versatility that Julius gave us with that ability.

Rajon Rondo and James have shown the young Lakers prospects on the roster just how vital it is to constantly talk.

"You got to be the anchor of the defense, that 5 position calls out pick-and-rolls, screens," Kuzma said. "The 5 is usually around the rim so you see, you know, everything in that backcourt, everything. So watching film has really helped in that area of trying to be that type of anchor when I am playing the five."

Drafted 27th overall last season, Kuzma made the All-Rookie team after an impressive season averaging 16.1 points, 6.3 rebounds and shooting 36.6 percent from 3-point range. Kuzma added muscle in the offseason and worked hard on adding new weapons to his game.

"You can see it. You can feel it," Walton said of Kuzma's added strength. "You work out with him, he's much more of a man right now physically -- the way he runs the court, the way he's jumping and taking contact and all those things. He's worked extremely hard this offseason and it's showing up on court."

James likes what he has seen from Kuzma's mentality so far in camp.

"He wants to get better," James said. "He wants to be the best player he can be. He wants to be one of the best players in our league. He stated that. He worked his tail off this summer and has come in with the right mindset. I respect that."

BI gon be a dog this year. I can see it. I hope Rondo keeps this same energy coming off the bench when Lonzo is ready. Lance is still Lance. Javale looked more relaxed but is still bringing that hustle to every play. I'm worried about Zupac. I thought he'd be much further along at this point. Hart gon be starting before the season is over.

I love the defensive philosophy. The team is built for it. Once they get locked in, this should be a good defensive team.

Offensively, I saw way too much 1 pass or no pass shots. I'll chalk that up to unfamiliarity though. When there was player and ball movement, the offense looked promising.

They threw Kuz into the deep water early at the 5. I think he's capable but the help rotations are going to have to be on point against the likes of Jokic.

Zu a lost cause with me. Too slow and he acts figgity when the pace is up which is our normal style of play.

Hope Moe knee gets better ASAP. But I feel like the training staff may have misdiagnosed him like they did Zo.

Zu a lost cause with me. Too slow and he acts figgity when the pace is up which is our normal style of play.

Hope Moe knee gets better ASAP. But I feel like the training staff may have misdiagnosed him like they did Zo.
Zubac playing better tonight. More decisive.

Back