Welcome To aBlackWeb

Strictly Dancehall/Reggae News

Buju Banton Calls Out Jamaica’s PM Andrew Holness For, “Oppression & Tyranny”

Buju Banton rains scorched out down on Jamaica’s PM Andrew Holness calling his measures to fight back the pandemic, “ppression and tyranny.”

Reggae/dancehall artist Buju Banton certainly has a lot to say as it relates to the Jamaican government, and he is not shy about sharing his thoughts with his fans and the public in general. As Jamaica follows the COVID-19 protocols, there have been tighter restrictions in all sectors across the country. From wearing masks, curfews, and lockdowns of certain things, including the entertainment industry since 2020, the Jamaican landscape has certainly changed in a year.

In a video that has since been shared across most social media platforms, the “Til Shiloh” singer had a few things to say to the Jamaican government. Speaking about the issues Jamaicans have been facing since Corona reached the shores of Jamaica up to the recent arrival of the COVID-19 vaccines on the island last Tuesday, Buju gave his take. He addressed both the populace at large and the Jamaican government, at times questioning the public about how they seem willing to believe everything that is meted out to them by the government of the island.

He opened by addressing the people, “Good morning Jamaica and good morning to the world, all the while mi tell unnu seh today fi mi tomorrow fi unnu unnu laugh.”

He continued, “Fi everyone weh mi see a post out deh an a gwaan like seh unnu a ridicule unnu fellow Jamaican when dem a talk out fi unnu, an a talk out fi all who out deh weh cant talk fi dem self because a nuff a unnu lock up behind close doors an because unnu so rich and some a unnu have so much nice frens unnu know how unnu feel inside but unnu cant seh it cause unnu don’t wanna offend anybody. We don’t haffi offend anybody we can tell it to yuh like it is.”

Taking them to school, Buju Banton goes through a series of charges recently laid against a citizen that went viral following events leading up to his arrest. Calling the charges laid as utter and complete “oppression and tyranny,” Buju questioned the law enforcement imposed in Jamaica. He addressed the law enforcement officers directly and stated, “Unu tek this job fi protect and serve Jamaica but unnu a protect and serve politician and political interests.” Buju then went on to question why citizens do not seem to have freedom of speech anymore. He further queried why citizens are being oppressed when they do speak out.

Advising Jamaicans to “wake up,” he urged his fellow citizens not to become “sheep” as he has seen this becoming a growing trend that has become more and more popular. He said not all Jamaicans “are fools” and reminded the government it was the citizens that voted them in, and as such, they should be working for the people. He reminded the politicians that they work for the country, not the other way around, and chided them, calling them “thieves” and accused them of “tyranny.”

Preaching a message of no “tyranny,” he advised the government to “free the people” and stop being “reactive.” He also touched on the issue of taking the vaccine and said, “An unnu a tell people bout shots and none a unnu nah tek no shot.” He continued, “We waaa see unnu tek weh unnu a try gi my people dem fi tek.”

Buju Banton has always been very vocal about anti- covid measures in place, which were imparted on the island since the emergence of Covid-19 last year. Spragga Benz, another recording artiste, also recently voiced his opinion on the covid vaccine. What are your thoughts? Are there any merits to Buju’s rant?

Vershon Confirms Deal With Warner Music UK & Drops New EP “Only One”

Dancehall entertainer Vershon has recently teamed up with UK hit-making gang FaNaTix for his first project with Warner Music (UK) via its Parlophone musical arm.

Vershon, known predominantly for his catalog of conscious songs, has offered fans a reminder that he is also able to blend various elements into his music. The project features the likes of Turf President Busy Signal, UK Grime rapper Chip, formerly Chipmunk; Trillary Banks; and Y Cee.

A majority of the tracks on the project cater to the ladies. Chip offers his assistance on “Reality,” as both men explain just why they love and adore women who sport their natural features and retain their beauty, whether online or in reality. “Whisper,” “Stick By Me,” and the fast-paced dance number “Shake It Up,” round out the cuts for the females. “Original” shows that Vershon also has a pretty grimy side to him.

Fans got a taste of that version of Vershon during his high profile lyrical face-off with Jahmiel. The two are no longer beefing after Jahmiel extended a peace offering as a part of his journey back to his more spiritual nature. “Thingz” featuring Busy Signal packs ingredients which have helped to shape Vershon’s prior hits such as “Inna Real Life,” “Ruff Up The World,” “On and Off Switch,” “Used to Hungry,” “Mercy A God,” and “Outside.”

In a recent press release, Vershon spoke on his 2019 signing as well as how his second EP came about.

“I did an EP independently in 2017 called One More Day. So now, working with FaNaTiX. It’s new. Signing with Parlophone is also new because I’ve never signed a record deal. So that’s why I decided why not just put out an EP instead of one song so it’s a body of music,” he said.

The 3-man team at FaNaTiX music has earned their space in the musical sphere with hits from the likes of Stylo G, Vybz Kartel, Nicki Minaj, Popcaan, Giggs, among other top urban acts. Vershon explained just how his brand new EP came to be exclusively produced by the UK-based trio and how British award-winner and soul pioneer Plan B assisted with “Stick By Me.”

“It’s my third release from my new EP and was created whilst working with producer artist team The FaNaTiX. The FaNaTiX were in Montego Bay running a writing camp and on one of these occasions, Plan B was there working with them, they introduced us and encourage him to get involved in our session. Plan B joined us at the table with a bunch of laptops, a microphone set up and a room full of vibes and energy,” Vershon shared with Wonderland Music Magazine.

The EP has been receiving heavy rotation since its release on March 05, 2021. While speaking on his signing to the label, which has housed the likes of The Beatles, Queen, Duran Duran, Tina Turner, Roxette, and The Pet Shop Boys, the Jamaican entertainer shared how optimistic he was about the move. “Warner Music is an established international label, so that is an excellent move for me. I can see where things can happen internationally for my career,” he said.

Popcaan, Beenie Man, Koffee, Sean Paul & More Covers i-D Magazine Jamaicazine Issue

i-D-jamaicazine-dancehall.jpg

A ton of reggae and dancehall artists were featured in the Utopia in Dystopia issue of i-D’s Jamaicazine, and they answered questions about the current music scene in Jamaica and their vision for 2021. Gary Sorrenti wrote an extensive article featuring the top artists in Jamaica right now after he visited the island in late December to interview and get shots of them.

Among the plethora of artists he met were the likes of Koffee, Sean Paul, Buju Banton, Beres Hammond, Shaggy, Ken Boothe, Chronixx, Protoje, Popcaan, Skillibeng, Lila Iké, Sevana, Jaz Elise, Yellowman, King Jammy, Shenseea, Beenie Man and believed it or not, even more. Almost all the artists agreed that the current music landscape in Jamaica is much more diverse than it once was. While some appreciate what the youngsters in music are doing to be more inclusive, others believe they have ventured too far from the roots. One thing that is also prevalent is the evolution has been quick-paced and inspired.

On how the music scene has changed over his lifetime, Shaggy says, “A lot has changed, but you can’t have evolution without change, you can’t achieve greatness if you just stay in your comfort zone. I love the new generation, people like Skillibeng, Koffee, they’re making disruptive music.” Meanwhile, Yellowman believes that “The youngsters, they do music only for themselves and one set of people. Back in the days we did music for everybody. You know? Young. Old. Even now. But I love Chronixx, Proteje, Popcaan, Koffee,” he said.

There seems to be a slight disparity with the view on the way the music has evolved between the veterans and the new school of artists. For example, Shenseea says, “Dancehall’s different – everybody grows, finds new ways, technology changes, but we’re still incorporating our roots into the music.” However, John John, son of the legendary King Jammy, who says he does “hardcore dancehall” music and “never stopped,” believes that “The youths don’t really know the roots.”

Protoje says Jamaican music is cyclical and that just like fashion, some aspects of it seem to resurface over time. “The sound of Jamaican music evolves all the time. But you know it also circles back, so a lot of stuff from the 80s you kind of hear again now, but it’s been updated. Jamaican music is a big cycle we’re always adding to.” On the other hand, Chronixx says the genre has transformed from a soul-reaching one to an intellectual one/ This surely enhances how an artist portrays their perspective of the times.

“Reggae is transitioning from a place where it’s hitting you directly in your soul to hitting you in the intellect,” said Chronixx. “Youths nowadays, we are information junkies. We started to get a better grasp of the concept of English language. So now we can twist it more. We’re making our language now.”

Koffee on the evolution of reggae music

Koffee, who seems to be a favorite among the veterans, tells the mag that “The sound evolves with the times. The message speaks to the times. So even if the sound is nostalgic, or the message is nostalgic, or it resonates with an older era, the vibe is always now.”

Due to the changes that the Jamaican music scene has gone through, people easily identify the new sound as less authentic, and Dre Island says he is a victim of that. “They say I’m not authentic reggae as they know it, but the message is authentic, I just fusion the sound. No divisions, no segregations. Reggae is a message and the music is always evolving. Give thanks for evolution, ’cause that is good and it is necessary.” Protoje seems to be all for it as he describes the music scene in Jamaica right now as “Very vibrant.” “There are so many exciting artists working in different styles of music,” he says. “The scene isn’t really stuck doing one thing. It’s very positive.”

Lila Iké: “I don’t really believe in genre”
What’s interesting is that we see where those “different styles of music” cause these newer artists to refrain from putting themselves in a generic category. While veterans could proudly say they make dancehall and reggae music or, in Yellowman’s case, also “Pop. R’n’B. And… a little opera,” the younger creatives unanimously disagreed with traditional genres. Lila Iké even said, “I don’t really believe in genre. I just make music that my soul wants me to make. Louis Armstrong said there is only two types of music. The good music and bad music. Exactly! Exactly. I guess I make good music then.”

This is a popular take among the new generation of artists who have expanded their scope and creativity to include a variety of non-traditional sounds and styles. Sevana says though it might sound pretentious, she would say she does “honest music.” “I don’t necessarily know how to give it a genre because I don’t follow any of the genre rules,” the “Mango” crooner explained. Similarly, Jaz Elise called the music scene “dynamic” and says she does “every kind of music,” while Shenseea told the publication, “I make everything. You know? I represent music entirely. Give me any track, I can go on it. Soca. Afro. Pop. Rap. Dancehall. Reggae. Just name it. Anything. I represent music. I’m a lover of music.”

Sevana says the evolution and how far the music has come is all “thanks to the likes of Protoje, Chronixx, Beres Hammond.” As a veteran and a very successful Jamaican artist, Beres Hammond is one who has always stayed in tuned with the times and enjoyed the evolution of the music and seeing youngsters rise with their new sounds. He is a lover of music as a whole and the type you can collaborate with no matter what style you dabble in. It came as no surprise that this forward-thinking music icon explained his take on the genre in a way that anyone could easily relate to.

“I’m a Jamaican, so the majority of the world when they hear Jamaican music they think of reggae, but I am not a reggae singer. I am a singer who sings reggae. There is a difference,” the famous singer said, echoing the opinions of young artists like Leno Banton, Rosh Rebel, and more. On how he feels about the current landscape of the music, Beres said, “I never have a problem with any music coming out of Jamaica because the youths are having a grand time doing what they are doing and I am always supportive. We have to let each generation express themselves in the way they know how.”

Sean Paul talks the rise of females in reggae/dancehall
Sean Paul and Sevana spoke to the fact that more women are rising up in Jamaican music than ever before. While the genres were historically dominated by men, it is clear that in a few years, that will be a thing of the past. “I’m very proud of the ladies stepping up. Shenseea, Koffee, Spice is doing her thing as usual. Ishawna. A lot of these young ladies are stepping up,” said Sean Paul. Sevana says the music scene is “the most diverse it’s ever been. More women pushing forward than we’ve ever seen in the history of Jamaica. There’s a lot of unity. Less beef, less rivalries.”

Most artists agreed that 2020 was a struggle, but while it was in a way a setback, it also doubled as an opportunity to better their craft. Shenseea admits that while she hasn’t been writing as much, she has “been reading, watching, learning to dance” and “making improvements.” Meanwhile, Protoje says he spent the year “basically living in the studio. A lot of introspection. A lot of deep thinking. Making a lot of music.” Jaz Elise says the emotional and mental toll that 2020 took is evident in her music. “A lot of pain. A lot of love. A lot of longing as well, due to the curfew. There’s a lot that is missing in our social life, that I’m feeling, that is in my music.”

As they all look on to the future, artists were asked about their hopes for 2021. They are excited about the prospect of performing for live crowds and touring again. “2021, man, I’m trying to get back on that road. I want to get in that tour bus, and I want to see people and watch them enjoy my music, and talk to people and just, you know, have real life interactions,” Lila Iké told i-D. Vanessa Bling is hoping for a “A Covid-19 free world,” she says. “Hit songs, world traveling, performing in front of crowds again.”

Buju Banton’s faith in humanity remains strong
When tackled with the question, Buju Banton delivered a moving speech, as usual, encouraging the masses to use their independent minds and not be swindled into the herd mentality. “I’m not a man of hope, I deal with faith. You know what I mean?” Buju said. “Faith in the people. Faith in humanity. Faith in one true and living God of creation. Faith that each man and each woman will question everything. Faith that the complicity that’s pervasive will one day be no more. Faith that to rule my people with fear, which is the greatest invisible weapon, will be extinguished. Faith that the people will have faith in themselves. Hope? We need faith man. God is good.”

These artists agree that other than the amazing food (and I truly am drooling as I think about it), Music and the unparalleled energy is the best thing about Jamaica. No matter how much reggae and dancehall sounds evolve, they will always be a part of the DNA of the famous island, and these sounds will no doubt continue to impact the rest of the world.

The images were shot by Gray Sorrenti on her iPhone 12 Pro Max when she traveled to Jamaica in the winter of 2020. She views Jamaica as her Utopia.

Bounty Killer Bury Beef With Mavado, Publicly Support Vado Amid Mother’s Death

Bounty Killer bury his beef with one of his students, Mavado.

Dancehall entertainer Mavado has been getting major support from members of the dancehall fraternity, including rival Bounty Killer, amidst the recent death of his mom. The “Dying” deejay took to Instagram over the weekend to express his love and admiration for his mom. In a recent post, he recounted his commitments to a more promising future for his mother and just how he delivered on that promise for the lady he calls his best friend. Cassava Piece native Elizabeth’ Ms. Pinny’ Gordon passed away suddenly at a Kingston hospital.

Several entertainers have been mourning the loss of their moms in recent years. Beenie Man, Shenseea, and Shabba Ranks are just a few of the names who have had to live through the gut-wrenching pain of losing one of the most important women in their lives. Dancehall icon Bounty Killer may have lost his mom nearly a decade ago. However, Miss Ivy’s death remains fresh in the minds of Bounty. His frequent mention of her in his music and during interviews has cemented her name among members of the dancehall fraternity. Similarly, Mavado has made mention of his mom in numerous songs such as 2017’s “Mama” and an earlier hit, Serani’s “Mama Still Hungry,” on which he was featured.

While the relationship between Killer and Vado remains a strained one, the Warlord shared his condolences to his former protege. An image of Mavado alongside his mom was posted by Killer along with the following caption:

“Jah know star I just want to send my deepest sympathy and condolences to @mavadogully and his family on the passing of his mom despite our situation. I know the void and emptiness cause by the loss of a mom it’s a very sad street that we all have to trod one day prayers goes out stay strong.”

As the cliche goes, Mavado and Bounty Killer were once as thick as thieves. That all changed in 2011 when gunshots rang out outside of the then-popular Kingston nightclub, QUAD. The gunfire took place as Mavado was entering the nightclub to party with Killer at his annual birth-night bash. The shooting incident, which involved security and Mavado’s entourage, claimed the life of Mavado’s close friend Conroy Edwards. At that exact moment, the battle lines were drawn, as Bounty blamed his musical son for causing the major disruptions at his event. Mavado kept Killer at bay for not showing any sympathy upon hearing about the passing of his friend.

As with other members who left the Alliance, a musical war was soon on its way. Gully frontrunners Chase Cross and Flexxx fired shots at Alliance. The Warlord returned fire with “Death Work,” which took aim at Vado’s Alliance with We The Best Music, ran by Miami-based Dj Kahled. It is reported that the two have engaged in cordial conversations over the years. However, their relationship has never been the same.

Bounty Killer’s heartfelt caption was given the green light by a number of persons in the industry, such as Dovey Magnum, Jesse Royal, and Beenie Man. Bounty Killer showed tremendous support to his one-time rival Beenie Man when his mom passed last year.

Mavado has also received additional support below his two recent posts. The likes of producer Romario English, Ishawna, Lila Ike’, Baby Cham, Agent Sasco, and many others have also offered kind words to Gully Gad during his time of grief.

Mavado Shares Heartbreak Over His Mother’s Passing On IG: “Love you mama I’m so so sorry”

Dancehall artist Mavado reminisced about his mother, who passed away on Thursday, as he shared an emotional message about how he was coping.

The artist, who is in the United States, said his mother had been feeling unwell, but she assured him she was doing fine. “After you told me that your feeling much better and your telling us that your ready to go back to your house I feel so good when you said that to me on the phone,” the “Give it All to Me” singer said.

“Mama still can’t believe it now I’m all alone can’t trust no one but I could always put my life in your hands from I was A kid it was always me and you walking up and down Constant Spring road, them days my little sister was just a baby them days I always said as a kid I’m going to buy you the biggest house and the prettiest car when I grow up. I build you the biggest house I keep my promise mama I did it and the world will remember US me and you,” he added.

Mavado is dealing with one too many tragedies as he not only mourns the loss of his mother and “best friend”, but also deal with the upheaval felt from the upcoming sentencing of his son for murder on March 19.

What’s even sadder for the singer and his family, his mother cannot be buried immediately as the government has laced a ban on funerals due to the increasing cases of Covid-19 infections on the island. Additionally, Mavado himself might not be able to attend the funeral as he risks being arrested by authorities who had previously named a person of interest in the same murder case involving his son. The last time he was in Jamaica, he was also shot at by unknown assailants, so his life is also at risk by unknown persons.

Mavado also shared a touching photograph of him and his mother as she held him while a small baby. He has always had a close relationship with his mother and has even dedicated a song to her called “Mama.”

“Mama mi never ever ever ever ever ever / Left you out / Mi never left you in a the board house pon the Gully / Mi tek you out / You proud a you son / Seh mi proud a mi self / You teach me fi pray over mi self / Suh mi nuh care who nuh like mi / Dem is not God Almighty,” Mavado sings.

In another video of his mother shared today, Mavado said, “Love you mama I’m so so sorry.”

Why Bob Marley Credit Friend Vincent Ford On ‘”No Woman No Cry”

Bob Marley is known worldwide as reggae music’s most renowned ambassador and most instrumental pioneer. Something that is talked about much less is his philanthropy and the icon’s selfless desire to be a pillar to his community. Many fortunate people in this world give back when they have a surplus, but Bob Marley allocated his very own earnings to help those close to him even before the money was made.

Perhaps he knew that his mortality was feeble in the face of his music that would live on forever, or he just saw the immediate need to contribute greatly to his neighborhood of Trench Town, which he so often waxed emotionally. In 1974, Bob Marley released what would indefinitely become one of the biggest songs in the world, “No Woman No Cry.” The song appeared on his Live! album the following year and completely took off, later garnering covers from a number of stars including Linkin Park, Nina Simone, The Fugees, and more.

Though it is believed Marley would have penned the famous track on his own, like a number of his other tracks, he gave the songwriter credit to Vincent ‘Tata’ Ford, his friend and a community servant. Ford suffered from diabetes for most of his life, and he was wheelchair-bound after both of his legs had been amputated from the complications. As Trench Town-native like Marley, Vincent Ford ran a soup kitchen in the embattled community that fed the poor and homeless.

Marley’s decision to attribute writing credits to V. Ford would serve the community as a whole because it meant all the royalty checks would benefit the soup kitchen and ensure that it ran smoothly even long after both Marley and Ford were gone. The revenue from this and other songs such as “Positive Vibration” from Marley’s Rastaman Vibration album ensured that Ford could continue running the soup kitchen in Trench Town up until his demise in December 2008.

It was argued that at the time, “No Woman No Cry” and a dozen other of Marley’s songs that were written between 1973 and 1976 were “misattributed” to the credited composers in an attempt to evade contractual obligations to Cayman Music which represented Marley from 1967 to 1976.

The case was brought before the High Court in 2014 when Cayman Music sued Blue Mountain Music, a company founded by Chris Blackwell who launched Marley’s international career. Marley was accused of “fraudulently” attributing the songs to other people to avoid the terms of their ’73 contractual restrictions.

An obituary for Vincent Ford by The Independent in 2009 noted that “Marley was concerned about a previous songwriting contract he had signed with the producer Danny Sims at Cayman Music. In that bout, he also credited his songs to his wife Rita Marley and his band The Wailers. The writer concluded that “This spreading out of writing credits would also have allowed Marley to provide lasting help to family and close friends.”

Vincent Ford never denied writing the song, which was composed at his home in 1974, according to Bob Marley. The late icon noted that “Vincent Ford is a bredda from Trenchtown,” he once said. “Me and him used to sing long time. Me and him used to live in the kitchen together long, long time.”

Still, it was disputed that Ford never actually composed “No Woman No Cry” and Danny Sims and Marley’s widow came together and sued him for ownership and royalty rights. Hugo Cuggigan of Cayman Music classified “No Woman No Cry” as Bob Marley’s most famous track and the “jewel in the Marley catalog” and argued that they were denied their “contracted entitlement for over 40 years.” The court reportedly sided with the Marley estate, but it did not undo all the years of sustenance for the Trench Town soup kitchen and the people of the community, thanks to Bob Marley’s selfless act.

“No Woman No Cry” cracked its way into the Top 10 on the UK charts in 1981 after Bob Marley died. The track is also ranked at No. 37 on Rolling Stone’s list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. The song that was undoubtedly his most revered fed infinite members of his community for many years, and it is said that the soup kitchen is still thriving to this day.

Mavado’s Son Dante Brooks’ Sentencing Postponed To March 19

The sentencing in the trial of Dante Brooks, the son of dancehall deejay Mavado, has been put off to March 19, 2021. The sentencing was originally scheduled for March 12. It’s been a sad day for the Brook’s family, who are also grieving the death of Mavado’s mother, Ms. Pinny, who passed away yesterday.

Brooks’ was found guilt of murder, illegal possession of a firearm, and arson. He was represented by Attorney-at-Law Peter Champagnie QC, who asked for a postponement to give him time to examine the social inquiry report that was only given to him today. The postponement was also sought as the Attorney-at-Law asked that the Victim Impact Statement be adjusted.

Brooks, who is only 18 years old, was found guilty in January along with his co-accused Andre Hines. Both of them appeared in court for the sentencing and were remanded until the next court date.

The men have maintained their innocence. Brooks was tried as an adult. He and Hines, who have been on remand since 2018, following murder charges laid for the killing of Lorenzo Thomas, also known as ‘Israel’ or ‘Trulups,’ in Cassava Piece, St. Andrew, where both men are also residents. The gruesome murder occurred on June 5, 2018.

The charges against the parties originally included conspiracy to murder, arson, shooting with intent, and illegal possession of firearms and ammunition. Brooks has been in a juvenile facility in Kingston, having had multiple bail applications denied. There have also been hiccups with the start of the trial, which was originally set for January 7.

The defense team opted for trial by judge rather than trial jury based on various factors his attorney had said Champagnie said without going into those factors more. However, it seems the plea in mitigation made before sentencing by the defense attorney can take into consideration the time Brooks has spent jail, among other factors like his age in determining how many years in jail he receives in sentencing.

Meanwhile, the trial of his son and now the death of his mother will weigh heavy on the Gully artiste Movado. It’s unclear whether he will travel for his mother’s funeral since he was previously wanted by authorities.

Spragga Benz & Buju Banton Calls Out Pro-Vaccine Dancehall Artists

Spragga Benz and Buju Banton doesn’t agree with Bounty Killer and other dancehall artists pro-vaccine message.

Earlier this week, the Jamaican government received the first shipment of the much sought-after COVID-19 vaccine. Prior to its arrival from India, there had been much debate as to who would be rolling back their sleeves to take what could be one of the most important impalements of their lives. Conspiracy theorists have been quite vocal about their stance on the ‘deadly’ Covid-19, the pandemic, and the rushed vaccine. Though these people are prevalent around the world, it is the varying positions taken by Jamaican entertainers and the subsequent pushbacks they have been receiving that have Caribbean locals talking.

Both Buju Banton and Spragga Benz have lashed out at the government’s protocols to quell the spread of the virus.

Buju Banton went on an “anti-mask-wearing” tirade late last year via Instagram, for which he received some backlash. Adopting a very Darwinian stance as it relates to “survival of the fittest,” several persons, including his children, criticized his standing on the matter.

From all indications, he has not backed down, recently joining fellow entertainer Spragga Benz in criticizing the government’s latest actions.

Before Spragga stuck it to the government, he seemingly made a bit of time to comment on Bounty Killer’s recent pro-vaccine post. On Monday, the self-proclaimed Poor People Governor shared a poster for an impending show which he and fellow entertainer Beenie Man would be headlining in Ibiza, Spain, later this year. In his caption, he urged his Instagram followers to get vaccinated so as not to miss out on the opportunity to see the one-time rivals perform live.

Spragga took Instagram to express his disgust toward Bounty’s call to action.

“Mi see some BIG BAD Jamaican artist promoting di vaxi agenda already… either dem get a promise or dem really dunce to the program,” he said.

A newspaper article published a day later further angered Benz. The attention-grabbing headline expressed that the Jamaican government would be granting immunity to the makers of the vaccine. This means the company would not be liable if persons became ill after taking the vaccine.

“Unoo agoh bawl fi Jah…. MEMBA ME SPRAGGA BENZ SAY DAT…COVID vaccine manufacturers to get protection from lawsuits!” He chanted on social media.

He further questioned if the government should not be responsible for protecting its people over a vaccine company.

Aside from Spragga Benz and Buju Banton, other entertainers have voiced anti-vaccine sentiments, including Sizzla, Tony Rebel, Chronixx, Kabaka Pyramid, and Lee’ Scratch Perry. On the flip side, entertainers who have voiced their willingness to take the jab include Shaggy, Ce’cile, Macka Diamond, and Bounty Killer.

Tommy Lee Sparta Warns Leakers Of His Music While Incarcerated

ommy Lee Sparta sends a stern warning to anyone leaking his music.

Jamaican dancehall entertainer Tommy Lee Sparta may be incarcerated, but is not mincing words when it comes to individuals leaking his music online. In a post earlier this afternoon, he had this to say in reference to someone leaking one of his tracks:

“Anybody leak any of my new songs Spartan we go chop off them head an stitch it inna dem belly some big p***y gal an some b***y bwoy love leak man song any page leak me song plz unno jus report it an sen out the person name.” Issuing this ominous warning to the person or persons responsible quickly drew reactions from his fans, with some agreeing with him while others cautioned him based on the wording. Tommy Lee has become the second incarcerated dancehall act within the past two weeks to have issue serious threats via social media.

Gaza leader Vybz Kartel lashed out at one social media user after he/she hypothetically asked just how Kartel would feel if his eldest son Likkle Vybz suffered the same fate as Lizard, the person the deejay was convicted for killing. Kartel or whoever handles his account was quick to react. “wonder how u would feel if me send come shot yuh inna u face in front u mada.” He later added, “any bwoy even dream dat, everyting inna him yaad dead. all di baby weh just born yesterday. Stop mek internet fool yuh gyal.”

The debate is still out on whether any of these incarcerated deejays have access to their social media accounts. It should be noted that a promotional post for a new track titled “Bubble Up” was shared to Tommy’s account shortly after his warning. “GYAL DEM READY? WEH DI GALLIS DEM DEH? DROP HAR OFF PIC A NEXT ONE Loading…” It also had the date March 19, which seems to be the official release date.

Tommy Lee Sparta has been incarcerated since December 2020. A vehicle he was traveling in was stopped and searched, and a 9mm Glock pistol with a magazine containing 18 rounds was found in his waistband. His case is set for mention on March 24, after it was rescheduled when he made an appearance in February. What are your thoughts on the deejays post?

Dancehall Producer Papi Don Musiq Arrested In Florida For Scamming Elderly Of $300K

Dancehall producer Papi Don Musiq was arrested for allegedly scamming 18 senior citizens out of $300,000.

Papi Don Musiq, whose real name is Donte Johnson, was taken into custody in South Florida on Wednesday after police accused the beatmaker of running an elaborate scam to defraud senior citizens. Urban Islandz obtained his arrest records and his mugshot. The victims uncovered so far include 18 seniors in the Sarasota and Broward counties area. He was charged with Bank Fraud, Grand Theft of a Firearm, and Criminal Use of Personal Identification.

According to law enforcement, the victims believed that they were paying taxes for massive winnings from Publishers Clearing House. Johnson reportedly had one 88-year-old unsuspecting victim deposited $63,000 into two separate bank accounts. Broward County police launched an investigation when the victim’s family filed a police report in October last year.

During their video surveillance, police quickly identified the mastermind as 25-year-old Donte Johnson of a Plantation address, who used the victim’s identification to withdraw funds.

Police have been quietly investing Johnson since then and have since uncovered 18 victims of his elaborate scheme using Publishers Clearing House. Police from the Plantation Police Department, Broward County Sheriff’s Office, and Sarasota deputies executed a search warrant for his home on March 3 and took him into custody.

Investigators found $17,000 cash in his home and a stolen firearm. Detectives also seized incriminating documents and several electronic devices believes to be a part of the scam. According to law enforcement, they believed he scammed 18 victims out of a total of $300,000.

Papi Don is currently out on bond, but law enforcement says more charges are pending as they ramp up their investigation. They also believed more victims might have fallen prey to the scheme.

Publishers Clearing House posted a statement on its website warning unsuspecting victims of scams. They made it clear that the company never charges any fees, taxes, or upfront payments to claim winning prizes.

Rising Dancehall Artist FadaGad Shot And Killed In Montego Bay

Rising dancehall artiste FadaGad was shot and killed on Friday in St. James.

The promising Montego Bay deejay was among a slew of new acts from Jamaica’s second city on the rise, with some dancehall fans predicting that he would’ve been among the leaders of the new generation. However, as we see happen all too often, young artists killed before they even taste fame. A family source identified as his cousin and road manager told Urban Islandz on Instagram that he passed away at the hospital after being shot several times.

His label Shabria Entertainment also confirmed the news via Instagram, writing, “Sleep in perfect peace only God knows why they took you from us the music industry is shaken up sleep and take your rest when you return yu gonna be bigger and badder we await your return to this world.”

The label released his new song, “Jah Guide,” mere hours after his passing. The Wowski-directed cut saw FadaGad singing about his impending big break in dancehall. “A Jah guide, from the day mi born mi know me great,” he sings while also alluding to previous threats made against his life.

FadaGad, whose real name is Adrian Alexander, was age 26 at the time of his death. His fans have been leaving tributes since learning of his untimely death. “This cyan real I know Fada from his a sing him likkle songs them and we use to say one day your gonna make it big and now them kill the youth,” one fan wrote.

Fadagad is only the latest dancehall artist to have died from gun violence. Trinidadian deejay Kyle’ Rebel Sixx’ George was shot and killed in July last year, while Charly Black associate Buck 1 was killed in August 2019. The year 2019 also saw the killing of rising dancehall artists Jahiant, who was killed in Canada. Kashmar and Humble Kid were also victims of gun violence.

Fadagad previously saw success with songs like “Cadillac” and “Unknown Dunce” featuring Jamal.

Sanchez Worried About Shortage Of Reggae Singers Keeping Genre Alive

Timeless Jamaican singer, Sanchez, has a notion that there is a shortage of reggae singers emerging from Jamaica. He sincerely believes that there will not be enough singers to carry on the legacy of reggae music. Many who oppose his thesis would declare that just like technology, the music has to evolve, or it will die out completely.

Sanchez is popular for his hit songs “Lonely Won’t Leave Me Alone,” “Brown Eye Girl,” and “Never Dis Di Man,” whose lyrics easily roll off the tongue due to his incredible renditions.

With these under his belt, one could point out that his statement has some truth in it, and he would be experienced enough to say so. However, if traditions surrounding music were stringent, we would still be making Ska and Mento music today.

During a recent interview with the Observer, Sanchez took the time to express his thoughts. “Most of the great singers have passed away. It’s only a handful of us left in the business right now. After we are gone who’s going to be here to keep reggae music alive?” he boldly questioned.

He added, “There needs to be another generation of great singers on the rise and I don’t see that happening right now.”

According to the Russian playwright Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, “Nothing in Art is new, except for talent,” and the same goes for music. If you deeply analyze the history of music, you will notice that over time, rhythm, beats, and melodies have been recycled to create the next sound for the new generation. Young upcoming reggae artists like Minori, Jamila Falak, Black H3RO, and Annah Mariah, just to name a few, are on the verge of making the next big hit, and it is without a doubt that they revisited the music of the greats to motivate and inspire them. They can be highlighted as proof of the new generation practicing the craft in the shadows of their forefathers as they explore their talent, and many of Sanchez’s fans were quick to inform him of this.

Sanchez is currently doing the media rounds to promote his new single “Called Me,” produced by Freddie Kruger and released on Kruger Di Reggae Riddim compilation album. The compilation also features songs from several other artists, including Mykal Rose, Wayne Wade, and Hugh Brown.

Do you agree with Sanchez?

Dancehall Veteran Mr. G Speak Out Against “Gunman” Image Amid Artists Arrests

Dancehall artiste/producer Mr. G has recently expressed his disdain for the current violent musical output from young entertainers plying their trade both locally and internationally.

It was a no-nonsense approach from the man formerly known as Goofy, who released a video calling for the entertainers who boast of their gang allegiances to choose whether they desire to be entertainers are thugs. It is clear that the “Buff Bay” deejay is not of the sentiment that both should coincidence.

“Everyman a come inna music a portray this gunman image. Them have the most gunman friend,” he highlighted. “If a man like gun so much why a man never apply fi the police or the army.”

Mr. G’s comments arrive hot on the heels of the arrest of upcoming EastSyde entertainer Rytikal on January 28, 2021. Classified as one of the most talented young entertainers to have caught the public’s attention in 2020, Rytikal seemed poised for greatness. His recent collaboration with Atlantic Records signee Kranium has been regarded as just the tip of what he could accomplish for 2021. Yet, the 25-year-old deejay is steering down years of prison time for the c possession of firearm and ammunition. Rytikal’s arrest was preceded by those of Tommy Lee and Laden, who were both held and slapped with similar charges surrounding possession of an unlicensed firearm.

“It don’t look good wa the man dem a do. Every minute you hear say artiste gone a jail. Every minute you hear say artiste get hold with gun,” said Mr. G, before highlighting the work done by the genre’s forerunners to establish dancehall as something of substance.

“The man dem need fi stop it breda. You know how much years it take fi we as some foundation artiste…artiste inna my era 90s coming right up to the 2000s, 80s, the 70s. You know how hard we affi work fi the people dem stop call the music ol’ dutty boy music. So that people uptown, downtown and ‘middle-town’ can accept it.” The deejay preached.

Still, there have been critics who have contested the call for more peaceful lyrics from entertainers, citing legendary acts such as Ninjaman and Bounty Killer as pioneers of the style. As for Goofy, some of his most notable tracks are filled with comical satire, with most of his concepts centered around females. As a producer, Mr. G has clung to the more refined and socially acceptable reggae, producing hits for big-name dancehall acts like Chris Martin, Romain Virgo, Jesse Royal, among others.

“If a man know say him want fi come inna music fi tun gunman, don’t come inna music. Just stay pon the road and do wa you affi do,” was the firm recommended handed down by Mr. G.

He concluded, “The man dem a mash up the business, me no like it.”

What is your stance on the current musical output from our young entertainers?

Dancehall Artist Rytikal Gun Case Heads To Trial, Denied Bail

Rytikal’s case is heading to trial as a judge denied the entertainer bond.

The legal woes of dancehall artist Rytikal further intensified today after he was denied bail when he appeared in the virtual Gun court via Zoom. The artiste, real name Ryan McFarlane, was denied bail and further remanded until March 24, 2021.

The “Cookie Jar “entertainer was charged earlier this year for illegal possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition. Based on reports, the police were on patrol in the Eight Miles Bay area of St. Andrews on January 28, 2021, when Rytikal was seen acting suspiciously.

Cops questioned and searched Rytikal’s vehicle, where they found a Taurus .380 pistol along with 12 rounds of ammunition were found. He reportedly told the police officers that the weapon was a prop for a music video.

Rytikal joins a slew of other dancehall acts who have found themselves on the wrong side of the law recently. Dancehall artiste Tommy Lee Sparta is also facing gun and ammunition charges and is scheduled to appear in court on March 24, 2021. George Nooks is also due to appear in court for cocaine charges.

At the moment, Sean Storm, Laden, Ninja Man, and Vybz Kartel are some of the dancehall artists currently serving time behind bars. Rytikal is a member of the Eastsyde musical outfit, which also boasts one of Jamaica’s biggest dancehall acts, Skillibeng. Prior to being arrested and detained, the singer had teamed up with Atlantic Records signee Kranium for “Block Traffic” and also announced the arrival of a full-length EP.

Vybz Kartel Issued Strong Response To Female Referencing His Son To Lizard’s Death

Vybz Kartel responds to a female on Instagram who reference his son Likkle Addi to Clive “Lizard” Williams’ death.

Social media is a fair game for everybody, and once a post is made, everyone has the go-ahead to weigh in, including celebrities. Each person is entitled to their unsolicited opinion, and Instagram user @sashiboo1 did just that when she commented on a post made by the Instagram profile representing Dancehall icon Vybz Kartel.

The post highlighted the appearance of Vybz Kartel’s son Likkle Vybz on Winford Williams’ TV show OnStage. IG user sashiboo1 took the opportunity to voice her opinion saying, “I wonder how u would feel if the same faith reach him just like what happened to Clive (lizard) williams, old time people used to say what goes around the University works in mysterious ways!”

A loyal Vybz Kartel supporter offered up a fierce clap back while hinting that the man the dancehall star is accused of killing is in hiding possibly in Cuba.

During the exchange of words, Vybz Kartel landed his response to the IG user who made mention of his son. The comment was delivered and packaged in the form of a gruesome threat in which he questioned, “wonder how u would feel if me send come shot yuh inna face in front u mada.” He continued, “any bwoy even dream dat, everting inna him yaad dead. all di baby weh just born yesterday. Stop mek internet fool yuh gyal.”

Dancehall fans grabbed a screenshot of Vybz Kartel response to the female. While some folks agreed with his strong response, some fans think he went a bit overboard by threatening to female who made the comment. “She is wrong for the comment, but he literally just threatened her and he’s behind bars awaiting an appeal so this is just foolish on his part,” one person wrote.

Screen-Shot-2021-03-04.jpg

In 2014, Vybz Kartel was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of his former associate Clive “Lizard” Williams. Despite being in prison, the former Portmore Empire artist continues to release music and has remained active on social media. He will be eligible for parole once he has served a minimum of 35 years in prison. It is still uncertain if the profile dubbed ‘Vybz Kartel’ is being operated by him, but if not, he has a very active public relations personnel

Vybz Kartel Dominating Dancehall A Decade After Incarceration – What’s His Secret?

Critics of the dancehall legend, who is aptly called ‘Worl’Boss,’ proclaimed in 2014 ahead of his sentencing that if convicted, the life and career of the controversial but highly gifted artist would be effectively over.

Fast forward to 2021, and a lot has changed from 2014 when Kartel was convicted and sentenced to 35 years to life for the murder of a former acquaintance, and now, the world in the throes of a pandemic. While things have changed, it has also remained the same as Vybz Kartel’s dominance spreads from jail and continues to top the charts locally and abroad.

Vybz Kartel continues to enjoy top-of-the-line airplay on local radios. While other artists might be lucky to get one or two of their songs played, there is no other artist who regularly and on-demand enjoys whole sessions of their catalogs played, whether it’s a whole session of girl tunes or wining tunes for his female fans or bad man tunes for his male Gaza fans.

One thing has been missing, though, and that is the stage presence of the artiste, which is a very common factor in the dancehall space in Jamaica. Fans and DJs tend to give more ‘fawud’ to DJs who are present. But that isn’t the case with Vybz Kartel.

According to ZJ Chrome, the producer of Vybz Kartel’s No. 1 track “Clarks,” which also launched the career of Dancehall superstar Popcaan, he feels that Kartel has in some respects faded from the dancehall scene as is natural with artists who are around for a long time but his dominance in untested given his cult-like fan base.

“I would say yes and I would say no,” ZJ Chrome told Urban Islandz. “Yes just like any other industry the people move on, and the music changes and evolves and you have new people who are more relevant in dancehall. But he still has one of the biggest fan bases in dancehall and his streaming numbers are definitely one of the top three in dancehall.”

“As it relates to the streets maybe he’s losing a bit of the streets because of a lack of presence but his fans are the die hearted fans that stick around, so he’s fading but that’s the natural fade if you ask me because no artiste stays on top forever, but he’s still even with his fading his numbers says he’s the best out there.”

ZJ Chrome says that even though Kartel is not here, not much will change as long as fans are getting the type of music they expect from their favorite icon.

What is perceived to be a fading might also be something the artiste is aware of. In 2019, he dismissed YouTube trending and views as a mark of relevance and called it a “kid’s game.” At the time, fans and critics reacted to his Rock Pop song “No Ok,” which many said sounded like a Disney movie soundtrack- something that is also almost a compliment as the artiste’s versatility was once more on display as he sought to expand his fan base to a new genre of music previous dancehall artists have not ventured to do.

“Vybz Kartel is bigga dan YouTube trending…lef it fi di kids… Gold n Platinum ai pre,” he said. No doubt his reference was to his streaming numbers, such as his RIAA Gold Certified “Fever.”

In spite of those criticisms, Kartel was the most streamed artist in 2019, and in 2020, he still had the most collective YouTube streams at more than 12.5 million views up to the first part of the year.

Vybz Kartel is now known one as one of the most prolific dancehall artists alive and to have lived.

It all began when a young Adidja Palmer dropped out early from Calabar High School to pursue his musical passions. Palmer came from a strict home where education was a priority, but at the height of that decade was the sweeping popularity of reggae music and the rise of dancehall music, and the lure was too strong for the young Palmer.

Soon he called himself Adi Banton, after his inspiration figure Buju Banton and in 1983, at the young age of 17 years old, he recorded his first single, “Love Fat Woman.” It wasn’t long after he joined the budding “Alliance” group led by the enigmatic and widely controversial artiste Bounty Killer. His rise to stardom started with his skills as a writer for the Grung Gadzilla, and he quickly becomes one to look out for as a promising rising star. This is also where he met his future rival Mavado.

It wasn’t long after he left Alliance, dissatisfied with the way things were going and set out on his own as an independent artiste- something many Alliance members viewed as being ungrateful, and if you are born in the Caribbean, there is no greater sin than to be ungrateful!

Nevertheless, the young Palmer had talent, and fans who had an eye and ear for good lyrics were drawn to him. This was the beginning of the passionate or, as one former Prime Minister of Jamaica called it- his ‘rabid’ fans base called Gaza. Of course, at the time that Palmer was rising, clash culture in dancehall was the greatest way to launch an artiste’s career, and so his beef with Mavado led to one beef after another while their loyal fans drew battle lines as they identified as either Mavado’s Gully or Kartel’s Gaza. The war touched every section of society as Kartels dominance spread- from the ghettos in the inner city to high schools. Police say the feud over Gully vs. Gaza was responsible for several murders and shootings along Mannings Hill Road.

By this time, Vybz Kartel was now known and respected as the top dancehall act by fans and critics alike as he formed his own Gaza camp, which included the likes of Jah Vinci, Popcaan, Gaza Kim, Lisa Hyper, Black Rhyno, Meritol, and others. Soon though, they became aware of the dark personality that is Vybz Kartel. His life became characterized by controversy as rumors swirled that he would beat his artists, and deejay Gaza Kim showed photos of her face battered, which she says were as a result of her and her brother being attacked and beaten by men at the direction of Kartel.

Kartel, however, did not accept responsibility for the incident; instead, he condemned violence against women and girls. Gaza Kim was eventually expelled, and not long after, one by one, the other members of the camp were also expelled for one reason or the other.

In the years as Vybz Kartel, the artist, unfolded, he also became a father to three children with his common-law wife Tanesha ‘Shorty’ Johnson, and he also fathered children with a number of other women.

The controversy with Kartel also included the move to bleach his skin, changing from a person with a darker skin tone to someone several shades lighter- at one point, his skin tone was almost white.

In spite of this, support for him did not wane, but he became rather more popular. He also thrived musically as he released dozens of hit songs and toured the world, becoming a global style icon and even appearing in video games.

Up to the time of his arrest, his income is said to have been eye-watering from his many business ventures that included his Street Vybz Rum, condoms, cake soap, and Clarks footwear, along with his music that was also becoming streamed globally.

The years prior to his arrest saw a number of hits released as Kartel dominated the space, making it hard for other dancehall acts to get the level of attention he was enjoying.

With digital music streaming starting to gain traction, he quickly re-arranged his strategies to meet the changing ways fans consumed music. This move would prove to be a lucrative new stream of income for Kartel. It is arguably the most productive and long-lived, which also assists with keeping him relevant behind bars.

Although he previously saw Billboard success in 2009 with “Romping Shop” featuring Spice, his album debut on the chart came in 2011 with Kingston story, a digital album and later an extended version in 2012, debuting at No. 13 on the chart. This was the beginning of Kartel’s streaming dominance.

He also received wide acclaim for his album “Roots and Culture: the Voice of the Jamaican Ghetto, in 2013, and that same year released a number of hits that continue to be fan favorites today, including –”Georgina,” “Punani a mi best friend,” the shocking and controversial song celebrating oral sex “Freaky Gal” part 1,2,3; “Benz Punani,” “Why Pree,” “Summer Time,” “Bike Back,” “Cake soap”- which set off the trend among Jamaicans to bleach their skin, “Touch a Button,” are just a few notable songs among the 50-odd songs he released.

He also received success for Kartel Forever: Trilogy in 2014 and Reggae Love Songs and Other Things also released in 2014. Following his arrest, his hits continued to resound with the release of Viking (Vybz is King) which peaked at No. # on Billboard Hot 100 in 2015 and the widely successful “King of the Dancehall” debuting at No. 2 on the chart in 2016 and he was certified Gold by the RIAA for the song “Fever” released in 2016. He has since released dozens if not hundreds of songs since his pre-incarceration days.

Some critics feel that the artist has been releasing too much music that isn’t having the same impact. However, a check shows that Kartel is among the top five most-streamed artists for dancehall on Audiomack each week.

Additionally, one music producer who requested anonymity says Kartel may be a bigger influence in jail as if he was out of jail. He asserts that many of the new young artists are trying to become the next Vybz Kartel.

“Some [new artistes] look up to him but they will try not to do it intentionally. Some people admit it and some don’t. Some don’t because they have a market strategy and they are using that to create a fake illusion of being anti-Kartel and using that to get a buzz when Gaza fans react,” he said.

The producer says Kartel’s influence can be seen by the way young artists are mimicking aspects of the artiste’s personality and style- his creativity, and selling themselves by starting controversies which Kartel did back in the day but nowadays that is now akin to trending online.

“It’s like the deejays who all want to be like Shabba…whenever an artiste is at the top you always find a string of young artists deejay like him in his era in hopes of getting the kind of success he has and they study and copy him.”
Meanwhile, when asked what he thinks accounts for Kartel’s longevity and if he foresees it to continue into the future- especially in light of Vybz Kartel’s appeal of his murder sentence to the Privy Council in England, he says nothing is likely to change given Kartel’s fan base.

“He’s getting public buzz but also the streaming numbers. He has a loyal fan base that reacts and responds immediately. Just watch if the Teacha’ post nothing…. They instanteously react to his directions to make videos, promote and stream his music. He doesn’t need anyone else.”
Even behind bars for a decade, the dancehall deejay is the strongest artist, something that has never before been seen in the genre’s history. Other artists in jail like Ninja Man have not released any new music since being incarcerated, but Vybz Kartel continues to flood the airwaves.

“If the man is behind the bar and doing so well imagine if he is in the streets! Even before Covid he has been dominating the dancehall space. In real life he is a genius. The impact he brought to dancehall nobody has done that.”
Vybz Kartel and his co-accused, which includes artiste Shawn Campbell aka Shawn Storm, his close friends Kahira Jones and Andre St. John, have been granted leave to appeal their life sentences at the Privy Council. Their hearing is said to be sometime in 2021.

Despite being incarcerated for the past decade, Vybz Kartel remains one of Jamaica’s most influential artists. Though some may argue that his relevance is waning, his streaming numbers tell a different story.

Aside from being a musical genius, his secret to his success is his work ethics and ability to adapt with the changing musical landscape.

Dancehall Star Shenseea Is BET’s Amplified Artist Of The Month

Shenseea is one of Jamaica’s fast-rising deejays, and the sky is certainly not her limit! The young artiste is taking the United States music industry by storm as she stretches her wings from Jamaica.

Her latest accomplishment is being named the BET Amplified artist of the month. The recognition spotlights upcoming talents, which in BET’s view, are stars on the rise.

In spite of the pandemic, the “Blessed” singer continues to thrive with multiple brand ambassador deals as well as launching her own eyelash line. She has been in the United States touring as she entertains her fans and seeks to widen her fan base, all while establishing Public Relations connections to bring her voice and image to the global music industry.

The announcement by BET was made on Monday on the network’s Instagram page with a photograph of her with the big news “We’re proud to announce @shenseea as our new #BETAmplified Artist of the Month.”

The BET Amplified Artiste recognition is a coveted stamp of approval in the music industry and was launched in January of 2020 to name and identify the next big thing in the music industry. The Network, which focuses on Black Entertainment, will be introducing Shenseea to their various global platform audiences, which include BET Jams, BET Her, BET Soul, and BET International channels in Africa, UK, France, and South Korea.

According to BET, the award reviews artists based on their unique sound, social media presence, and their star factor- projected impact on the global music and entertainment industry.

BET has over 3.7 million viewers, and this is expected to be a great boost to the young Jamaican’s career. In the meantime, Shenseea has been working and has managed to tie down a number of collaborations, with the latest being Lil Tjay. While there is no news on what the music to be will be, fans speculate it could be rap music as Shenseea has displayed a versatility and keenness for rapping.

‘Power’ Star Michael Rainey Jr. Gets Threats From Alkaline Fans Over Vybz Kartek Support

Michael Rainer Jr., aka Tariq St. Patrick, found himself in the middle of a dancehall feud.

Jamaican-born TV star Michael Rainey Jr. has reportedly received death threats from fans of Alkaline following his decision to compare Vybz Kartel to Alkaline. The young actor used his Instagram Story to put forth the contentious comparison. Vendetta fans were left feeling disgusted when Rainey shared a picture of Alkaline from his days at Ardenne High School.

“Kartel Was Running Road When This Pic Was Taken N This N***a Think Him And Kartel A Size,” came the supporting caption. He added a few laughing emojis to the already biting line.

Rainey Jr. is best known for his role as Tariq St Patrick on the 50 Cent produced hit franchise, Power. He has been quite vocal over the years about his support of the Vybz Kartel-led Gaza nation. He cites Vybz Kartel, Tommy Lee Sparta, and Popcaan as some of his favorite dancehall artists.

His recent comparison did not rest well with Alkaline’s fans, and quite a few of them took to social media to thrash the actor. The comment areas below his recent posts and direct message inbox were supposedly overrun with hate mail. He again took to social media to share a few of what he was receiving. He doubled down on his stance as he shared the threatening messages and comments via screenshots he had taken.

“Nah All Jokes Aside Tho Y’all Really Can’t Deny That Kartel Was Running Road When Alkaline Was In School. Kartel Been Making Music Forever. Literally Forever,” he wrote.

Things got even more interesting when Vybz Kartel got wind of the firestorm that was brewing online. He threw his support behind the actor and posted: “Those are fake threats don’t pay dem no mind….just a bunch of wanna be angry fans, dem gaza imitation dem GCity #power ful @michaelraineyjr.” Rainey reposted the comments on his official Instagram page.

Vybz Kartel and Rainey seem to have a fairly good online relationship as this is not the first time the incarcerated DJ has reached out to him. He wished him a happy birthday via his Instagram page last year. Rainey is also no stranger to Jamaica, and last year Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett even supported him being a perfect candidate as the country’s official youth ambassador.

Do you think international superstars and persons of influence should publicly show their support for their favorite entertainers?

Back