Welcome To aBlackWeb

Stephan James Set to Play Jean-Michel Basquiat in Biopic

Infamous114

Miami 🇳🇮
Mod Squad

If Beale Street Could Talk star Stephan James is set to star as iconic artist Jean-Michel Basquiat in a limited TV drama from Boat Rocker and James and Shamier Anderson’s Bay Mills Studios.

The project will be set during the 1980s as Basquiat emerges from being an obscure graffiti artist born in Brooklyn to becoming a Neo-expressionist painter of rockstar status in Manhattan. The scripted series will also explore Basquiat’s close friendship with Andy Warhol and his early death.

“We’re grateful to be working with Shamier, Stephan and the entire Bay Mills Studios team to tell the story of a visionary artist whose profound cultural influence only continues to grow with time,” Steve Lescroart, president, Boat Rocker Studios, scripted, said in a statement on Thursday.

James and Anderson have a first-look deal with Boat Rocker through their Bay Mills Studios banner. James is also starring in Boat Rocker’s TV adaptation of Hugh Howey’s sci-fi novel Beacon 23 via Spectrum Originals and AMC. Anderson stars in Boat Rocker’s hit sci-fi drama Invasion for Apple TV+, which was recently renewed for a second season.

“Jean-Michel is an artist I have long revered, and someone who has greatly influenced my work over the years. To embody such a revolutionary, whose influence in the modern era of pop culture is simply immeasurable, will simply be one of the greatest honors of my career,” James said in his own statement.

The untitled Basquiat project is being executive produced by Katie O’Connell Marsh and Nick Nantell for Boat Rocker, and Anderson and James for Bay Mills Studios. Holly Hubsher is overseeing the project for Bay Mills Studios.

Didn't Jeffrey Wright also portrayed him in a movie few years ago?

Surprised Jay-Z isn't an executive producer. I think he's a big fan

Jeffrey Wright performance was legendary

Don't know if another biopic atm but I'm all for keeping Basquiat alive in the minds and hearts of our culture so I'll support it

As long as they dive into his art more then the artist we good. Basquiat was Basquiat because he did art.

Basquiat had an interesting life but his paintings are overrated af. Those shits look like a child in kindergarten did them.

Basquiat had an interesting life but his paintings are overrated af. Those shits look like a child in kindergarten did them.

That was the point lol. He found beauty in child art. Plus he was a huge fan of Picasso. And Picasso started painting like a child due to him being bored of Realism. Also once the camera was invented artists didnt have a string desire to paint what they see, instead they sought out creative means by painting off the dome and adding abstraction.

Basquiat just took that concept further by adding elements of the streets and the seeds of Hip Hop.

His work isnt overrated at all. You just gotta be more open minded and I guarantee you there are 10 pieces you love of his.

That was the point lol. He found beauty in child art. Plus he was a huge fan of Picasso. And Picasso started painting like a child due to him being bored of Realism. Also once the camera was invented artists didnt have a string desire to paint what they see, instead they sought out creative means by painting off the dome and adding abstraction.

Basquiat just took that concept further by adding elements of the streets and the seeds of Hip Hop.

His work isnt overrated at all. You just gotta be more open minded and I guarantee you there are 10 pieces you love of his.
Meh. Creative but limited talent. His paintings are almost like he is mocking the industry.

Meh. Creative but limited talent. His paintings are almost like he is mocking the industry.

Naw he def was serious and he was very creative. He was the 1st to do what he did. After him others took his style and expanded on it. He was famous at 19 man. But yes he also mocked the industry because until Basquiat came along black art wasnt as prolific. The black artists uo to a point all painted from Eurocentric perspective. Basquiat studied african masks and utilized them to his tastes. Plus he was a huge fan of Twombly, Picasso, Van Gogh, Debuffet. So he took elements from them and made it his own. He knew art history to a 'T' and never went to college and didnt have a diploma.

Jeffrey Wright will always be Jean Michel Basquiat to me. I became an instant fan of both JMB's artistry and JW when I first saw "Basquiat" back in '96.

This👇will be a hard act to follow, imo (one of my favorite films and actors, ever)

That scene where he approached Andy in that restaurant...hilarious

"You wanna buy some ig'nant art?"...that will always be funny. Lol

Jeffrey Wright will always be Jean Michel Basquiat to me. I became an instant fan of both JMB's artistry and JW when I first saw "Basquiat" back in '96.

This👇will be a hard act to follow, imo (one of my favorite films and actors, ever)

I had issues with the film...still do. But it was a dope film done by his rival

I still havent seen this film all the way through. I gotta circle back. What do you mean done by his rival?

Juilan Schanebel and Basquiat had a prof beef. Its been stated in docs Basq wanted to box Julian and when Julian left his dealer, who was Basq dealer...she was breaking down sad, cause she loss her money cow...Basq told her its gonna be ok. He will be a better artidt than Julian ever was.

Back