SPINOFF: How important are Names?

Welp...how far in life do you think a child named Gonorrhea is gonna go?

And yes...someone actually named their child this.

Bout to move all the hair posts

Reactions: Golden
great posts in here.

there was actually an episode of Blackish that dealt with this very issue.

But to answer the question, yes names are important...they are a part of your identity.

Biggest thing for me is tho...is that we had our identity and culture stripped when we were stolen. Forced to go from Kunta Kinte to Toby.

Our naming traditions now have a lot more to do with us trying to reestablish or really create our own culture and customs. Shit deeper than loan and job apps...tho I see the logic behind giving your kid a "normal" name

I do understand that the dominant culture is anglo...so anything that varies will be discriminated against...

great posts in here.

there was actually an episode of Blackish that dealt with this very issue.

But to answer the question, yes names are important...they are a part of your identity.

Biggest thing for me is tho...is that we had our identity and culture stripped when we were stolen. Forced to go from Kunta Kinte to Toby.

Our naming traditions now have a lot more to do with us trying to reestablish or really create our own culture and customs. Shit deeper than loan and job apps...tho I see the logic behind giving your kid a "normal" name

I do understand that the dominant culture is anglo...so anything that varies will be discriminated against...
this is something i love about black ppl

And to add on...

Ironically growing up if a nigga called you Kunta it was an insult of the highest degree...

Like I said...shit runs deep...

Never understood why being called "Kunta" was considered an insult.

Especially considering his absolute DEFIANCE to changing his name to Toby.

Never understood why being called "Kunta" was considered an insult.

Especially considering his absolute DEFIANCE to changing his name to Toby.

Thats what im saying bruh...its deep af to take being called Kunta, a man who was a warrior. Who was beat within an inch of his life for his NAME. And even after that passed the traditions and language of his people to his seeds. Its really honorable af to be called Kunta

Reactions: IP360
When you know better, the hope is that you do better

I wouldn't mind being called kunta but when I was a child, I did think it was an insult because I didn't know the significance

Also, part of me regretted naming my son Aiden, because I swear right after I did I heard that name everywhere. Aiden, Jaden, Kaiden, etc when I used to never hear it. This was back in '08. Thought I was original smh. But now I don't regret it, even though it's still popular, my Aiden is special to me and he loves his name. Plus I usually see Aidan or Ayden and not Aiden so meh. His brother got my grandpas name so I've never regretted it. Though people assume I'm Christian based on the name, cause it's from the Bible. That's always awkward.

Sorry to the almost derail

no worries man...this helps grow discussion...we just wanna make sure its in the proper places so that each topic can cook

hear of a set of twins named DaWasha and DaDrya

their doing fine working

at the laundry mat.
[;'.

Knew a chick named Clear.....

I don't know how bad I messed up my chances with the constant jokes. But looking back she was pretty into me initially...... Not so much in the end

real story Two of my high school teachers
Mr Tittsworth (social studies teacher)
and
Mr Sunderdick (Career and leadership teacher)
both white guys, cools as hell, but I always wondered how that interview went.

side side sidebar

me and Knock Twice had a white high school teacher named Mr. Jones

No Limit was bigger than life around this time, and if you heard any of their artists, you are familiar with Fiend and how he used to always jump on the track talking bout "I'M MR GET IT ON JONES...WHOMP WHOMP....WHOMP WHOMP" or some variation

but EVERYBODY who took his class would just yell out at the most random times "ITS MR GET IT ON JONES"...and he had no idea why lol

just wanted to share

side side sidebar

me and Knock Twice had a white high school teacher named Mr. Jones

No Limit was bigger than life around this time, and if you heard any of their artists, you are familiar with Fiend and how he used to always jump on the track talking bout "I'M MR GET IT ON JONES...WHOMP WHOMP....WHOMP WHOMP" or some variation

but EVERYBODY who took his class would just yell out at the most random times "ITS MR GET IT ON JONES"...and he had no idea why lol

just wanted to share
u n knock twice know each other IRL??

Reactions: AP2.5