Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Spanish Thread

Para hispanoblantes:

In the past I have always tried to speak Spanish with people that I met for the first time and learned they are from a spanish speaking country. To the point that, in retrospect, it was annoying.

Por ejemplo, I used to do security for a bar and a Colombiana comes in, we get to talking about music and we get to Bomba Estereo. This convo is in Spanish and it's all good.

After a while though, she seemed to not want to speak in Spanish to me, like English was her preferred language. Maybe because she needed to practice in that. So I obliged.

Many moons later, I read something that said that trying to speak in someones native lamguage may actually be offensive?!

Is that true? I feel like an ass because I've done that with a lot of spanish speaking people, trying to step my game up, but now I'm wondering if I was being offensive this whole time.

And it's not like it's broken Spanish, I'm good with mine. I can carry on a strong conversation, until I get nervous, but it's understood that i'm speaking with respect.

Para hispanoblantes:

In the past I have always tried to speak Spanish with people that I met for the first time and learned they are from a spanish speaking country. To the point that, in retrospect, it was annoying.

Por ejemplo, I used to do security for a bar and a Colombiana comes in, we get to talking about music and we get to Bomba Estereo. This convo is in Spanish and it's all good.

After a while though, she seemed to not want to speak in Spanish to me, like English was her preferred language. Maybe because she needed to practice in that. So I obliged.

Many moons later, I read something that said that trying to speak in someones native lamguage may actually be offensive?!

Is that true? I feel like an ass because I've done that with a lot of spanish speaking people, trying to step my game up, but now I'm wondering if I was being offensive this whole time.

And it's not like it's broken Spanish, I'm good with mine. I can carry on a strong conversation, until I get nervous, but it's understood that i'm speaking with respect.

I do this now, and I'm terrible conversationally lol. They prolly hate me

Back