OPINION Should Rick Rubin step away from the Hip Hop genre?

GOAT

🐐
Dec 16, 2017
giphy.gif

Hip Hops guy on the couch Rick Rubin was spotted with Kanye West and the 2 are rumored to be working on Ye's new album.

You might remember the last time Kanye & Rick teamed up and gave us the weedplate known as YEEZUS.

Rick is fresh off of putting together the bullshit that was Eminems newest album.

Why are artists going to him?

Is he washed? Can he redeem himself?

DZzIc79WAAAwm5W

Know why artist go to Rubin, cause Jay damn near fell off after kingdom come and 99 problems rejuvenated his career.

And the industry believes in his aura way more than the public. And when you around industry folk to much, you get tone deaf to what an artist core fans actually want.

Whatever Kanye putting together, all u niggaz that liked kanyes music, prepare for this shit to garbage to ur ears and still be held to some critical acclaim and it's gone piss u off cause at least the next joint after this gone be the same, sorry for ya

Reactions: SneakDZA
What's the last dope song he produced?

Probably 99 Problems lmao.

People go to Rick more for his name imo than his actual producing abilities. Lately he has focused more on different Genres than just Hip Hop. He's more of the Executive producer than he is a producer of beats and what not. He just sits in the studio with the artists and tries getting them to make the best music they can. For hip hop artists, that hasnt been too great in recent years.

He's been producer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers since 1991 though and produced their best albums. Their most recent album was produced by Danger Mouse though and that was a pretty refreshing sound.

His most recent band that hes working with is The Avett Brothers. They were dope before Rubin, but their most recent album is their most successful and clean sounding album to date. Rubin is dancing funny as hell in the early minutes of this video. If anyone can make a gif of it that would be awesome:

Rubin shows up at 11 seconds

Kanye knows Yeezus was trash tho.

He even apologized for it on Breakfast Club saying he didnt give us no music

Know why artist go to Rubin, cause Jay damn near fell off after kingdom come and 99 problems rejuvenated his career.

And the industry believes in his aura way more than the public. And when you around industry folk to much, you get tone deaf to what an artist core fans actually want.

Whatever Kanye putting together, all u niggaz that liked kanyes music, prepare for this shit to garbage to ur ears and still be held to some critical acclaim and it's gone piss u off cause at least the next joint after this gone be the same, sorry for ya

how could 99 problems rejuvenate his career when it was released in 03 and Kingdom Come was released in 06 ? SMH,you niggas don't know shit about the genre !!!

how could 99 problems rejuvenate his career when it was released in 03 and Kingdom Come was released in 06 ? SMH,you niggas don't know shit about the genre !!!
Yeah I was just talking shit, ion really care about Jay, Rubin, or Kayne....good eye

he still has a good ear and tons of insight/knowledge on music of all genres....rappers prolly use him to "branch out" into different sounds and shit

he doesn't need to step away but they definitely need to stop propping him up as Hip Hop
s godfather and "go-to" guy if you want your album to go from great to incredible...i would let him hear my shit and give me some tips but that's about it

shit now that i think about they prolly prop him up to try and garner more Grammy attention and shit for their project

Reactions: Lou Cypher and GOAT
After 99 Problems, Rubin hasn't been someone that's made me more interested to cop the projects he's been part of. Yeezus & Revival are horrible ass albums. It says something that the two artists who are seemingly the most insecure about their music & how people think of them keep going back to Rick Rubin when they wanna "branch out".

Reactions: Lou Cypher
Probably 99 Problems lmao.

People go to Rick more for his name imo than his actual producing abilities. Lately he has focused more on different Genres than just Hip Hop. He's more of the Executive producer than he is a producer of beats and what not. He just sits in the studio with the artists and tries getting them to make the best music they can. For hip hop artists, that hasnt been too great in recent years.

He's been producer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers since 1991 though and produced their best albums. Their most recent album was produced by Danger Mouse though and that was a pretty refreshing sound.

His most recent band that hes working with is The Avett Brothers. They were dope before Rubin, but their most recent album is their most successful and clean sounding album to date. Rubin is dancing funny as hell in the early minutes of this video. If anyone can make a gif of it that would be awesome:

Rubin shows up at 11 seconds

So I go in and out of the rock genre, as far as my fandom is concerned, but I usually keep up with the Green Days, Breaking Benjamins, Chili Peppers, etc.

I didn't even know about this album though. Just looked it up and watched "Dark Necessities". Shit is amazing. I'm putting the album on all my devices as we speak.

Definitely one of my favorite bands of all time. I'm upset I ain't know about it sooner.

After hearing that FSMH demo that leaked a couple of weeks back, I actually appreciate Rubin's contributions to Yeezus and TLOP. His job was to strip down the production of the songs Ye already worked on. He had his hand in the best two songs on TLOP, and them shits were ass to begin with. I can't imagine what Yeezus sounded like before he got to em.