Should prisoners have the right to vote?

To me voting is a right and not a privilege. People coming out of prison still have taxes taken out of their checks so they should be able to have a say about who runs for offices in their district along with any other election

Reactions: AP2.5
They should have a right to vote cuz while they are locked up prisons make money off of them and when they get out they still make money off of them due to their rights still being restricted. Court fees, fines etc.

Reactions: AP2.5
Idk. I hate the whole voting system. I only find it useful on a local level. I don't think prisoners should vote because they would essentially be voting for policies that might keep them in jail longer or will make it easier for them to return to jail upon release.

There are few, very few politicians advocating for inmates and working to overhaul our prison system.

I don't want prisoners being willing participants in their own subjugation.

Idk. I hate the whole voting system. I only find it useful on a local level. I don't think prisoners should vote because they would essentially be voting for policies that might keep them in jail longer or will make it easier for them to return to jail upon release.

There are few, very few politicians advocating for inmates and working to overhaul our prison system.

I don't want prisoners being willing participants in their own subjugation.
but wouldn't those policies come into play regardless of whether the prisoners can vote? shouldn't they have the right to vote for the lesser evil?

Devil's advocate post:

what if they have life with no parole? still right to vote, tho they'll never be back in society?

is it possible that prisoners may vote on policies that relate to their crimes (ie. rapists supporting anti-woman politicians) n shld they be able to?

it can all be evil and still have levels

I understand sis butttttt

What are the levels? because we been playing "the lesser evil" politics game since '64
And between then and now countless people have suffered and died because of our "right" to vote. It's all evil.

Why are still looking for "heroes" in the heart of empire?

Half the time we vote and don't even know what we are voting for.

"Too many people in the US support death and destruction without being aware of it. They indirectly support the killing of people without having to look at the corpses."

Assata.

Devil's advocate post:

what if they have life with no parole? still right to vote, tho they'll never be back in society?

is it possible that prisoners may vote on policies that relate to their crimes (ie. rapists supporting anti-woman politicians) n shld they be able to?

Lifers shouldn't have the right to vote. I'll take it a step further and say rich white folks shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Only those who may be adversely affected by this two party system, should be allowed to vote.

People of color and the poor and other marganilized groups (Muslims, LGBTQ) should be the only ones allowed to vote in my opinion--- because they're the ones who are impacted the most whenever a politican takes office.

Too many rich politicians get to decide who gets to eat and who doesn't, who gets shelter and who doesn't, who gets clean water and who doesn't and so on and so forth.

I'm sick of all these rich ass mfers dictating my life. It's annoying. They don't represent me and they are destroying the planet with their bigotry and greed.

I'm sick of this whole system!!

Last edited:
Also it really doesn't matter who Black and Brown folxs vote for.

reality is, we will continue to experience structural violence all over the globe no matter who's in office.

Ok I'm done. Great thread @BNE

I understand sis butttttt

What are the levels? because we been playing "the lesser evil" politics game since '64
And between then and now countless people have suffered and died because of our "right" to vote. It's all evil.

Why are still looking for "heroes" in the heart of empire?

Half the time we vote and don't even know what we are voting for.

"Too many people in the US support death and destruction without being aware of it. They indirectly support the killing of people without having to look at the corpses."

Assata.
very good points but, let's say they shouldn't want to vote or believe it accomplishes anything. Does that mean they shouldn't have the right to make that decision for themselves? you yourself said u believe voting is useful on a local level. what if they cld vote to keep mayors like Rudy Giuliani out?

Also it really doesn't matter who Black and Brown folxs vote for.

reality is, we will continue to experience structural violence all over the globe no matter who's in office.

Ok I'm done. Great thread @BNE
don't go! wld make for a good spinoff tho

Lifers shouldn't have the right to vote. I'll take it a step further and say rich white folks shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Only those who might be adversely affected by this two party system, should be allowed to vote.

People of color and the poor and other marganilized groups (Muslims, LGBTQ) should be the only ones allowed to vote in my opinion--- because they're the ones who are impacted the most whenever a politican takes office.

Too many rich politicians get to decide who gets to eat and who doesn't, who gets shelter and who doesn't, who gets clean water and who doesn't and so on and so forth.

I'm sick of all these rich ass mfers dictating my life. It's annoying. They don't represent me and they are destroying the planet with their bigotry and greed.

I'm sick of this whole system!!
More radical views!

very good points but, let's say they shouldn't want to vote or believe it accomplishes anything. Does that mean they shouldn't have the right to make that decision for themselves? you yourself said u believe voting is useful on a local level. what if they cld vote to keep mayors like Rudy Giuliani out?

You raise a good point. A VERY good point.
hmmmmm

I think they should have the right to make the decision for themselves. I don't want to deny them agency or autonomy. So I have to agree with you.

They should be given the right to vote on a local level.

However, let me be clear sis, I still hate the system and I think it's failed people on so many levels.

I mean look at the poverty, crime and unemployment rates in these democratic ran cities.

Who really has the best interest of the people in this country? Certainly not dems or repubs.