Welcome To aBlackWeb

Shannon Sharpe dragged for tweet about HBCUS

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
Shannon Sharpe’s take on HBCUs was in response to Deion Sanders leaving JSU for Colorado.

Shannon Sharpe is someone who was able to excel at an HBCU. He went to Savannah State and he eventually turned that into a successful NFL career. Sharpe went on to win three Super Bowl titles, and to this day, he is considered as a top five tight end to ever do it.

Speaking of HBCUs, many are upset today as it was revealed that Deion Sanders would be leaving Jackson State University. Now, Coach Prime will go to Colorado, where he will coach a much bigger program. However, many feel betrayed as it felt like Sanders was going to be at JSU for the long haul.

With Sanders leaving JSU, some have decided to defend him, while others have criticized him. Sharpe is one of the many who defended the rising star in the coaching world. In fact, Sharpe noted that had he had the choice, he wouldnt atten and hbcu

For many, this was an incredibly disappointing revelation. As you will see in many of the tweets below, fans felt like Sharpe was taking an unnecessary swipe at historically black colleges and universities. Furthermore, others felt like it was weird to disparage a school that helped you get to the NFL.

I don’t see a problem with what he said. If I had the grades and money I wouldn’t have went to my college either.

shannon also did say that knowing what he know and the relationship that he fostered, he would’ve still selected Savannah state. Niggas just wanna be mad just to be mad

Deion could've avoided all of this by not hyping up HBCU's and encouraging athletes to go there instead of the major PWI sports schools.

If you're gonna talk the talk you've gotta walk the walk.

Deion didn't do that, so now he looks like a hypocrite for doing the same thing he's been telling prospects not to do.

He won't be able to live this down, because people are gonna look at it like he never really believed a word he was saying to begin with.

Basically thinking that he was just using the HBCU angle as a stepping stone to further his career, and not truly believing in bringing about an HBCU revival in college sports.

Did one of them dumbass tweets actually say the pursuit of higher education is classist??....

facepalm-really.gif

Niggas lack nuance. Most of the people piling on Shannon don't know his story.

Bruh has been THEE biggest voice on that show pertaining black issues that was sports AND non-sports related.

But the moment he says something folks...my bad...TWITTER...deems unacceptable...well let's just take piece of his statement...be "outrage" and forget everything else b4 that.

:foh5:

Back