Welcome To aBlackWeb

Shabba Ranks feat KRS One - The Jam

So here's the question;

Is KRS One an "underground MC" or is he a "mainstream MC"?

From 88-97 his videos got played on MTV and BET during the rap shows. But I don't ever remember hearing his music on top 40 radio, or daytime R&B radio for that matter.

I mean, rap music as a whole was pretty underground by today's standards. In the late 80s and early 90s you had to make a cheesy song with an R&B chick singing the chorus if you wanted to get played on daytime/top 40 radio. So a rapper getting played on Rap City or MTV Raps, but not getting play on daytime/top 40 radio was the norm. So in that sense KRS was mainstream, but when Missy Elliot, Da Brat, Tupac, Snoop, Biggie, Ma$e and Puff Daddy started getting played on daytime/top 40 radio and going multi-platinum KRS missed that wave. I can't think of any songs that KRS has that would get played in the same manner that a Biggie or Tupac song would get played on daytime/top 40 radio.

So would you consider KRS One mainstream or underground?

So here's the question;

From 88-97 his videos got played on MTV and BET during the rap shows. But I don't ever remember hearing his music on top 40 radio, or daytime R&B radio for that matter.

I mean, rap music as a whole was pretty underground by today's standards. In the late 80s and early 90s you had to make a cheesy song with an R&B chick singing the chorus if you wanted to get played on daytime/top 40 radio. So a rapper getting played on Rap City or MTV Raps, but not getting play on daytime/top 40 radio was the norm. So in that sense KRS was mainstream, but when Missy Elliot, Da Brat, Tupac, Snoop, Biggie, Ma$e and Puff Daddy started getting played on daytime/top 40 radio and going multi-platinum KRS missed that wave. I can't think of any songs that KRS has that would get played in the same manner that a Biggie or Tupac song would get played on daytime/top 40 radio.

So here's the question;

Underground no doubt. Even the step into a world remix w puff wasnt 'that' commercial.

I think the point krs was rapping about flew over ya head. No diss

He's basically saying that it's a mind state.

You can be commercial and still be underground.

No you can't.

For example, Wu Tang makes a certain style of music, but it's not "underground" because they sell millions of records and everybody knows who they are.

Underground no doubt. Even the step into a world remix w puff wasnt 'that' commercial.

Even if he was on the cover of the Source a handful of times?

No you can't. For example, Wu Tang makes a certain style of music, but it's not "underground" because they sell millions of records and everybody knows who they are.
Yes you can. The general thought of being underground or commercial is by record sales. Right? KRS is not going by that and neither do I. The reason I say that you can be commercial and still be underground is what you rap about.

KRS says in that song that to be underground, its about ya subject matter, repping the collective consciousness of Hip Hop not HipPop, being down for the struggle, going against the grain........

So @5 Grand
You get what I'm saying?

You're talking about being underground or commercial because of record sales. Krs is stating it philosophically

Yes you can. The general thought of being underground or commercial is by record sales. Right? KRS is not going by that and neither do I. The reason I say that you can be commercial and still be underground is what you rap about.

KRS says in that song that to be underground, its about ya subject matter, repping the collective consciousness of Hip Hop not HipPop, being down for the struggle, going against the grain........

So @5 Grand
You get what I'm saying?

You're talking about being underground or commercial because of record sales. Krs is stating it philosophically

@Bed$tuy I understand what you're saying but I don't agree with you.

I don't care what you rap about, if you're on the cover of The Source several times, get heavy rotation on MTV and BET and you're records are going gold and platinum, you're not underground by any definition of the word.

I don't care what you rap about, if you're on the cover of The Source several times, get heavy rotation on MTV and BET and you're records are going gold and platinum, you're not underground by any definition of the word.
Well alrighty then.
Krs considers himself underground because of what he stands for. Not because of record sales or playing time.

Nas is a good example of being commercial yet he still considers himself underground.

Is E.P.M.D underground? Krs never went with the mold which is commercial rap IMO.

Is E.P.M.D underground? Krs never went with the mold which is commercial rap IMO.

EPMD's albums all went gold and they always got played on BET and MTV. I'm pretty sure they got the cover of The Source once or twice.

My definition of "underground" is somebody that doesn't get played on MTV nor BET, doesn't get the cover of any magazines and doesn't get played on the radio.

And doesn't go gold or platinum.

EPMD's albums all went gold and they always got played on BET and MTV. I'm pretty sure they got the cover of The Source once or twice.

My definition of "underground" is somebody that doesn't get played on MTV nor BET, doesn't get the cover of any magazines and doesn't get played on the radio.

And doesn't go gold or platinum.
So a semi successful rapper? Like lord finesse? Ed o.g.?

So a semi successful rapper? Like lord finesse? Ed o.g.?

Yeah, but even those guys got their video played on MTV and BET.

I'll give you a couple of examples of what I consider to be undergound

This stuff is all underground because it never got played on MTV or BET, didn't get played on daytime/top 40 radio. Didn't get picked up by a major label. Didn't go gold or platinum.

E.p.m.d said stick to underground rap keep the crossover.

Yeah EPMD said keep it underground, but they used to play that video on MTV every day and I'm pretty sure the album went platinum.

Yeah, but even those guys got their video played on MTV and BET.

I'll give you a couple of examples of what I consider to be undergound

This stuff is all underground because it never got played on MTV or BET, didn't get played on daytime/top 40 radio. Didn't get picked up by a major label. Didn't go gold or platinum.

Yeah EPMD said keep it underground, but they used to play that video on MTV every day and I'm pretty sure the album went platinum.

Let's not act like those artist like krs one and epmd wad getting spins in regular MTV and bet. It was yo MTV raps and rap city. They wasn't getting no play on vh1. Hammer on the other hand

Back