Welcome To aBlackWeb

Robert Glasper claims that Lauryn Hill stole Miseducation

questionable practices with musicians that ended in numerous lawsuits / settlement pay-outs

hasn't made anything close to her critically acclaimed album while others have made comparable albums to their initial critically acclaimed albums (for example Jay, Nas, Big, Outkast, Pac, Busta Rhymes, Snoop, Kendrick, Missy, etc)

Outside of the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill era.....her limited artistic output (not just rapping / singing but songwriting for other artists, acting, scripts, etc)

Crappy attitude to fans after showing up late.....tells them to "just deal with it" and "this is how I do it".......hahhahaha

Last edited:
Hill's response:

“You may be able to make suggestions, but you can’t write FOR me. I am the architect of my creative expression,” she wrote, adding: “These are my songs, musicians are brought in because of the masterful way that they play their instruments.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...s-of-stealing-music-and-mistreating-musicians

In 1998, New Ark filed a 50-page lawsuit against Hill, her management and her record label, stating that Hill "used their songs and production skills, but failed to properly credit them for the work."[72] The musicians claimed to be the primary songwriters on two tracks, and major contributors on several others,[73] though Gordon Williams, the album's mixer and engineer, described the project as a "powerfully personal effort by Hill ... It was definitely her vision."[73] In response to the lawsuit, Hill claimed that New Ark took advantage of her success.[74] New Ark requested partial writing credits, and monetary reimbursement.[75] The suit was eventually settled out of court in February 2001 for a reported $5 million.

You ain't getting 5 mill cuz you told someone to hum this part or say a word like this.

If it turned out Lauryn didnt write her raps it would hurt my soul...

Yeah that's an important part of the puzzle; Did she write her rhymes, yes or no?

I don't know how to "prove" who wrote a baseline or a drumbeat. I mean, what if the drum beat went boom-boom-bap-boom-bap and while they were in the studio they changed the beat to boom-bap-bap-boom then who gets the credit? and how can you actually prove whose idea it was to change the drumbeat?

Also, its been 20 years so how can you remember whose idea it was to change the drumbeat?

Thing is her rhymes have always been crazy even in the Fugee days, so I cant see it... I wouldnt care so much if it was the singing she had help with or whatever, but she has always been the GOAT female MC to me, so it would be fckd up to find it she didnt write all her rhymes...

Saying that, I think on numerous occasions GOAT artists, who must be in the know with regards to who writes and who doesnt, have said Lauryn was their top female MC or even up their as a top MC, period... So I dont believe it personally...

Back