Welcome To aBlackWeb

REST In Peace DJ Ready Red (Geto Boys)

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
DJ Ready Red was an original member of the Geto Boys. He left the group before My Minds Playin Tricks On Me so he's not on that infamous album cover.

I knew him personally, well kinda. He used to dialogue on the oldschoolhiphop.com message board in the early/mid 00s. I spent countless hours online at that message board and ReadyRed was a member and he would make posts daily.

From what I understand, he was from Trenton, NJ. He was the DJ at the local rollerskating rink in the mid 80s. Being from the Tri-State area he knew about the Ultimate Breaks and Beats compilations and beats like Funky Drummer, Impeach The President, Substitution, Apache, Nautilus, etc. So when he moved down to Texas he was the only DJ that had those records. He would DJ rap battles and open mic nights in Texas. Eventually he hooked up with The Geto Boys. They made a few personnel changes and Ready Red had a crack cocaine problem so he was basically voted out of the group and replaced.

In any case, He was an original member of The Geto Boys. Here's a picture of what I believe to be the original group. Ready Red is on the right standing next to Bushwick Bill.

R-1544666-1515964260-3212.jpeg.jpg

On August 24th, the world lost a pioneer and a legend in the Hip Hop community. Collins "DJ Ready Red" was not only one of the greatest to ever do it, he was an awesome brother, uncle, cousin, and friend. Red was truly a humble person, hard working, a man of faith and he truly appreciated his fans and peers that continued to love and support him.
He loved people and always found ways to lend a helping hand. Full of life, love, and laughter, he loved his family and made sure we knew it.
So many have reached out and asked how they can help and where they can give, so my prayer is by creating this for gofundme, I will be able to give him the proper home going he deserves as well as truly honor him for who he was and the contributions he has given. Prior to his passing, my brother had two t-shirts created that we have available as well.

On behalf of my family, I sincerely express my heartfelt thanks to all of you in the Hip Hop community that has loved on my family with your prayers and condolences. We thank you for supporting and loving our brother and for helping us to truly honor his life and legacy.

https://www.gofundme.com/a-legacy-for-dj-ready-red

Did he discuss his drug problem on the messege board back then?

Yeah that's how I know about it.

Basically he said crack destroyed his life and he lost everything. Then he became born again Christian and he would say "praise Jesus" or "Jesus saved me" or something like that.

JPrince started RapALot out his used car lot basically to keep his brother off the streets (his brother wanted to be a rapper and was an OG member)

Prince ended up kickin his brother out after he started fuckin with crack too

I just did a wiki search. It says Ready Red wasn't an original member, but he was on the first album cover which I've posted below. He's on the left.

R-656050-1363291393-9216.jpeg.jpg

This is the OG original Ghetto Boys cover for "Making Trouble"

Ghetto%20Boys%20-%20Making%20Trouble%20open.jpg

This is the one I have on cassette sittin in storage at my sister's crib. Ready Red is on the far left.

RIP to DJ Ready Red.

damn so who is the other two dudes?

that dont look like Face and Willie

Prince says in the book that the early days of the ghetto boys was a revolving door of members.

Basically after he tried to jumpstart the label in NY he moved back to HTown with a new vision. To make real, gritty, authentic music for the streets.

Not everyone was down so he fired Sire Juke Box & Prince Johnny C. But he kept DJ Ready Red & Bushwick.... Then found Willie D & Face

Prince says in the book that the early days of the ghetto boys was a revolving door of members.

Basically after he tried to jumpstart the label in NY he moved back to HTown with a new vision. To make real, gritty, authentic music for the streets.

Not everyone was down so he fired Sire Juke Box & Prince Johnny C. But he kept DJ Ready Red & Bushwick.... Then found Willie D & Face

Crazy! Grip It! is technically the first rap album I ever owned, and Geto Boys Til Death Do Us Part is the first album I ever bought. Never knew Bushwick is the only original member. RIP to Red 'cause Geto Boys put me in this rap shit.

Back