Welcome To aBlackWeb

Added to Calendar: 09-06-24

lol is this netflix actual first good movie of the year?

--edit--

Shirley was decent

Possibly

Did my Googles and the production was actually a troubled one

John Boyega was first cast then dropped out... The director said they shut up shop like three times and came back ... Couldn't even get a theatrical release.

Movie was made in early 2022

Also total production cost: $40/45 million...

I've also liked Don Johnson from way back when he was on Miami Vice ... Hilarious with that southern swang

Quite an underrated character actor... Another one who was given a lifeline by Tarantino

Watched it last night. Incredible film and well written.

This dude is 30 and British. Broccoli and Amazon or whoever owns 007 blowing up his phone by tomorrow

They bout to have a light skin James Bond

Idris somewhere like smh

John Boyega too for dropping out of this movie

This and Hit Man are Netflix best this year so far. Also looking forward to the Piano Lesson

John Boyega walked away from the film in 2021 due to “family reasons.” Recently, Joaquin Phoenix left a Todd Haynes movie, and the production shut down. But you kept Rebel Ridge going. How do you keep making a film when something like that happens?
When John left the film, it was inevitable and out of respect for all parties involved; I can’t get into the details of it. But every party would agree, it was the right situation. It had to be that way. And I was willing to risk the movie unless I found the one and only true Terry Richmond. The search was insanely short, because within weeks, I had a Zoom call in Louisiana with Aaron Pierre, and I knew in less than two minutes that this is the guy. We had a very deep conversation. We were at this perfect crossroads, his career, my career. It did not seem in any way desperate, but it felt like we needed each other at that time. And the way he presented himself, his immediate interest and investment and dedication, was uplifting and immediately reenergized me. But because of the logistics of the situation, we opted to go and wait another year, and the reason was, this was a big reset. Everyone needs a little time. Netflix was insanely supportive of giving Aaron the opportunity. And no one who’s seen the film can imagine a version of this without Aaron Pierre. He shoulders this movie — he’s in about 129 scenes, maybe, of 135. And this is not just, like, me trying to brainwash myself. It was the most amazing turn for the film. I’m not into hocus-pocus, but I believe the fates intervened and Aaron and I were meant to work together. He was overly reverent toward, as he refers to it, the text. We were in Louisiana with the blazing-hot sun, and he had to lift human bodies over his head and then learn eight pages of dialogue. The task at hand was pretty intense.

Nice feel good movie asset forfeiture & police misconduct, the DEA really created a racket to steal people's possession

That shit was lame. His acting was forced. John Botega would have been better in it.
It was lame but it wasn’t cause the actor.

That shit was lame cause there wasn’t a body count, it was two fucking hours with no gotdamn resolution.

The violent retribution lacked any real action or consequences.

The short fat fucker deserved worse just for being a bitch with a gun.

Only one arm got broken.

Shoulda been more bean bags flying

Small Town Troubles

PRAISE: I went into this movie thinking First Blood. You have a character Terry Richmond (Aaron Pierre) with one goal in mind but he's literally hit by a police officer and a lot more trouble follows. But writer/director Jeremy Saulnier wants more from his characters and the viewers of this movie. So of course he gives you the First Blood vibe but he also throws in some Michael Clayton ( one of my favorite films) . This movie is about survival and people. Sometimes that survival is tied to corruption or literally trying to survive a barrage of bullets and Sauliner knows how to give the audience both and does it to a T with every twisty word spoken and every bone that cracks. Pierre is great in this providing all of the intensity and frustration,plus a good dose of raw emotion in very well acted scenes. This has to be matched with an adversary and it's Don Johnson as Chief Sandy Burnne who's as no nonsense as he is corrupt and Johnson is great as Burnne. AnnaSophia Robb is quite good in the movie to as a court clerk named Summer who does her best to help Richmond. I really liked how they fleshed her character out. The supporting cast does well to portraying people that either are turning a deaf ear to the corruption or realizing they do have their limits.

PROBLEMS: As the movie nears it's climax the pacing slowed down a bit and I did wonder why a couple of scenes had to be so drawn out since everything in those scenes had already been explained.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 7½

It was lame but it wasn’t cause the actor.

That shit was lame cause there wasn’t a body count, it was two fucking hours with no gotdamn resolution.

The violent retribution lacked any real action or consequences.

The short fat fucker deserved worse just for being a bitch with a gun.

Only one arm got broken.

Shoulda been more bean bags flying

It was a small town police department...

I'm wondering how the movie would have turned out if he killed the whole lot? Then what? What realistically as a black man would be his fate if he killed a bunch of white police officers?

I agree that bearded MF maybe shoulda been murked but hey ... Not every movie can be John Wick

The director/writer is on record saying that his challenge for this movie was to not make the protagonist have a body count, to have him go out his way to be 'less lethal"

He was basically Batman at the end with the smoke grenade distractions and knocking fools out

Loved it

I would have appreciated more violence.... But I guess the was one of the points... He's black... He can't be lethal...

This was the Tim Duncan/Anthony Joshua nice approachable black bad ass

Back